The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: ATV permit and bait chetek area  (Read 877 times)

Offline pokin holes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Its gonna be a good day tater!"-Ron White
ATV permit and bait chetek area
« on: Jan 26, 2016, 04:39 PM »
Hey guys as id mentioned in my other post im heading up your way for the first time and bringing my atv. I checked the dnr web site and it said Lakeside country marina sold temporary atv permits so I called them yesterday and got their answering machine that said they are closed the entire month of February. So where else can I get an atv permit we will be in town next Thursday the 4th hopefully around 3pm and who has the best bait in town..? you know the guy or gal that guarantees their wax worms, spikes, and minnows will catch fish! lol! ;D Thanks again guys!!

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ATV permit and bait chetek area
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2016, 05:21 PM »
Pokin holes -

IMHO the freshest bait is at Rod and Gun Shop. They are right on the main street through Chetek, you cant miss them. They probably sell the ATV stickers there too, but you might want to call ahead (715-924-4181). Another spot to check for the ATV sticker is Hortons True Value hardware store.

Offline soaknwet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2016, 09:43 AM »
I may be wrong, but if your atv is already registered in your home state, and you are not going to be trail riding, you don't need a trail pass. I have a snowmobile and only use it for icefishing. It's registered in Wis and I don't have a trail pass. If I'm wrong, it sure won't be the first time.
The river goes on forever and the fishing never ends.........

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2016, 12:38 PM »
Soaknwet - page 22 of the regulations, any ATV operated on frozen waters must display either a valid Wisconsin registration or a non-resident trail pass...

Offline pokin holes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2016, 06:25 PM »
thorney is correct per the book I called the dnr today and they said keg-n-kork have the atv permits. hows the bite been and how thicks the ice on the chetek chain?

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2016, 07:41 PM »
The fishing has been good! Catching nice bluegills and a few nice crappies here and there. I havent caught any nice perch this year, they have all been small. The bite usually slows down in february but this year might be different with the late ice and the warmer weather. Supposed to be in the mid 30's this weekend so I expect another good bite. Lots of people fishing lately. The ice is 12"-14" and people are driving all over. I dont fish for northerns, but I have seen a few really nice ones coming out of the lake.
Where are you staying in Chetek?

Offline pokin holes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2016, 05:08 AM »
in a lake house on prairie lake 23-1/2 street. the bite always gets slow down here too the longer the ice is on. our ice has only been 2wks and will be gone by Tuesday im sure its already unsafe. well man a sure appreciate all the info im looking really fwd to getting up there! Thursday cant get here fast enough! might bump in to ya out there! I don't have a smart phone or laptop anything like that so I wont be able to check in or post while we're up there one of my buddys has a smart phone but I don't think he really knows how to use it! lol! we,re planning on getting bait and atv permit as soon as we get there Thursday then just driving around to check things out may drill some holes depending on the time then hitting gillagans for supper and a cold beer!

Offline soaknwet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2016, 07:58 PM »
Thank you, Thorney.
The river goes on forever and the fishing never ends.........

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.