Author Topic: Lake Contour Map Recommendations?  (Read 872 times)

Offline Bigfish33

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Contour Map Recommendations?
« on: Jan 26, 2016, 12:49 PM »
I'm looking for a good brand of contour maps for a couple different Idaho lakes. Does anyone have any recommendations for a brand of either physical or digital maps that you have either used or liked? Thanks for any input!

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Contour Map Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2016, 12:52 PM »
Navionics app. It's hard to beat has very accurate and well defined maps.

Offline idtrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2016, 01:42 PM »
Navionics app. It's hard to beat has very accurate and well defined maps.

Is this the app you can download and pay $10 per year to have and also comes with a 1 week free trial period? I have looked at Navonics but there are about 3 different ones some HD and some regular so not sure which one to download, so any clarification on what works best would be helpful.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2016, 01:48 PM »
Navionics is prob as accurate as anything else but don't believe the 1 ft contours. They are, in all probability, just interpolated from the 10 ft contours. 
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Huge IceHole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2016, 02:16 PM »
I use the Navionics web app on my I-Pad and then mark waypoints on my Garmin GPS.  It is a great starting point when it comes to exploring, but nothing beats time on the ice.  I used their iTunes boating app through the free trail but I found that the combination the cold temps and active use in the background it crushed my battery life so I bailed on it.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2016, 10:05 AM »
there aren't many lakes in Idaho that even have contour maps. the navionics web app has a bunch, but you're still gonna be limited to the larger/more popular bodies of water. especially in southern Idaho.

my suggestion would be to buy something like the humminbird autochart, that records depth maps from your open-water fish finder and saves them to a chip that you can put in your GPS. i believe Lowrance has a similar function.

Offline natebert

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2016, 05:36 PM »
I use the web page http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en in Firefox.  Seems platform independent (no specific need for iPhone/Android/WinTel, etc.)

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2016, 06:24 PM »
I have used that page to  with Chrome. If I'm fishing near the shoreline I don't need any GPS to determine location and I find paper maps a whole lot easier to read.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Bigfish33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2016, 09:31 PM »
Thank you for all the suggestions! Just want to get something that will give me a bit more detail about the water I am fishing - In general just interested in some of the more common/popular bodies of water in the southern part of the state. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.