Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers, What's In The Vice For Ice?  (Read 3147 times)

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey Fly Tiers, What's In The Vice For Ice?
« on: Jan 25, 2016, 06:01 PM »
I was poking around in another states sight, and found their tread.  :woot:  With the ice conditions here, and more time than money.  Reading all their posts and drooling all over myself, I have now come down with a very sever itch to take up tying again.

Any interest among us ?  Local club(s) you know of ?
Bud

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Hey Fly Tiers, What's In The Vice For Ice?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2016, 06:09 PM »
Dang it IFF! You tricked me.... I've been chipping in on the NY version and now you created the evil twin!~  ;)2

Seriously, you're right and it's all great fun. I rather thought it should have been moved from the NY board to the "Jig Making" child board for all to enjoy, but hey, that's just me.

At any rate, I'll bet there are some first rate fly tiers in CO and I'd love to see their works as well. Now that I've chipped in on this thread I  can keep track of you guys as well.

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2016, 07:41 PM »
esox_xtm I hope you check in often, Your right up there with Rgfixit, when it comes to being a bad influence   :thumbsup: :bow:;D  There is a group that meets in GM lodge where I work, part time, and from what I see in a passing glance, your right there as some very impressive tiers.  I will have to check and see when they have their monthly meetings, and if I am not scheduled to be working will take the time to get to know them.  I only hope any of mine come out half as good as what I was seeing in those pictures.  One thing for sure I am going to have to get with the program on being able to take and post some worth pictures. If I am not out on some ice, the Mrs. will think I am either super glued to this or the stool down stairs where I will be setting thing up on the now used bar ;D

I have a feeling Gander and supply sources are going to be taking all my wages  ::)  But hey, I did give up my Honda Silver wing that only had 2,900 miles on it.  I just night sell the small pickup that now days rarely gets driven.

BTW Oconomowoc ?  Where, you chase the water wolfs ?
Bud

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2016, 08:17 PM »
Making beautiful flies is all fine and dandy and a true art but after tying flies since 1995 and collecting river samples in bikes like a high school project I've found tying what you I find is better than trying to duplicate patterns from books and recipes online! My real point was don't worry about tying beautiful flys unless you want to display them? I find shaggy worn out flies produce good results so nice gotten messy in my tying!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2016, 08:22 PM »
Hah! You want all my secrets right away? We're barely past the first date......  ;)

So, if you actually know Oconomowoc you already know that Pewaukee get all the press. All the lakes in the Oconomowoc River system have muskies. Of course Okauchee was stocked and has the best structure and forage base so it's my favorite. As you go downstream all the lakes have the  possibilities for 50"+ fish. I've personally seen a 53.5 from the last lake in the chain so there are really no bad bets. Just different locations and presentations.

I don't have to go very far...... :whistle:

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2016, 09:17 PM »
I piped in on the NY thread as well.  I love tying.  I'm now 41, and I started tying in 6th grade, before I was fly fishing!  My folks got me my first flyrod the Christmas of 1986 and I've never looked back.  My birthday was June of that year, and I got the fly tying equipment for my birthday.  Had a whole mess of horribly tied wooly worms and black ants tied up for bass and bluegill.  Sure had fun with them, and they even worked!  Little did I know, bluegills and bass aren't very picky about the flies and what they look like, as long as you move them like a bug! 

I've gotten a lot better at tying now, and have a ton of material that I can't even tell ya where I got it from.  I once stood in line at the store behind a lady in a mink coat, wishing I had a small baggie and a pair of scissors.  I still love tying like I did when I was a kid.  It never gets old. 

Here are the ones I posted in the NY fly tying thread.  The Tungsten BH prince nymph (bottom fly) is my go to fly in the river, and is doing very well on my palm rod!  Caught a 14" rainbow with it on the palm rod last week.  It was a riot. 

The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2016, 10:51 PM »
Mtn: I've tied some really ugly ones, and true, I would beat them to death, and still reluctant to switch up when they were still getting hit.

esox: I used to live at Janesville, and Menomonee Falls, and would just about wet a line anywhere between there and Lacrosse.  When the auto assembly plant was down for change overs from one year to the next I would grow webbing between my toes from being in the water so much ;D  If I become single before my reel runs out of line, I would like to move back to Wisconsin.  Here in Colorado the powers to be have waged war on the few places that hold any good Pike, and nothing like what you have near your front door.  You can keep your secrets, :-X, you can hide, but I'm watching you :P  While in Janesville, worked on establishing a trout stream that began and ended in the city limits. One thing I really miss is being able to get my hands on golden rod grubs to tip with.

Trapper, yeah I see your posts in the other one. Trying to get Saturday off and get out to Rifle, don't know yet, maybe hook up if your out, and torment some perch ?
Bud

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:03 AM »
IFF, yeah I plan on being out there with a couple buddies.  One of which has never gone ice fishing.  Well, he said he went once for  a few hours, but was miserably cold, so never went again.  I told him it really isn't that bad, as long as the wind isn't blowing.  He has agreed to try it again, so hopefully I can get him on to some fish.

Let me know what ya find out for Saturday.  I'll be heading up there myself here in about an hour or so.
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:08 AM »
Will do, on if its a go, for Saturday. Trapper.
Bud

Offline sisabdulax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:16 AM »
Ive tied up some bugger type jigs using estaz for body and a marabou tail. While has been very productive on trout!!
Lord, may I catch a fish so big, when telling of it afterwards I need not lie...

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2016, 10:31 AM »
I tied up some "fuzzy bunnies", which are really just zonkers.  My little cousin called them fuzzy bunnies once, and that's what we've called them ever since.  They worked on the ice rod on some browns!  Tied them pretty heavy though so they would have some good feel on the rod.  I need to find some tungsten cones, and I think I'd like them even better. 

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2016, 12:12 PM »
@Raptortrapper: got a conformation for Saturday the 30th off but its costing me having to work 35 hours week after.  So most likely will plan on 7ish arrival.

Will PM my phone number.
Bud

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2016, 05:39 PM »
esox_xtm I hope you check in often, Your right up there with Rgfixit, when it comes to being a bad influence   

Hah! Bad influence? No bonus points for impersonating my Mother. :roflmao:

On the other hand you have included me in some very good company and I'm honored. I'm nowhere near the tier Rg is but I am one heck of a "tacklesmith".  ;)2

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2016, 05:43 PM »
@Raptortrapper: got a conformation for Saturday the 30th off but its costing me having to work 35 hours week after.  So most likely will plan on 7ish arrival.

Will PM my phone number.

Got the PM.  Sounds good!  I'll be in touch.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2016, 08:47 PM »
@sisabdulax ? you fish for any warm water species down your way ?
Bud

Offline larrydj9000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2016, 11:59 PM »
Bunny leech on a jighead for rainbow trout. Great leech action in the water.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2016, 12:55 AM »
Welcome larrydj9000, what color/s you like ?  Your location ?
Bud

Offline sisabdulax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2016, 01:06 PM »
YEs been trying to target walleye and perch. With the occasional trout mishap!!!
Lord, may I catch a fish so big, when telling of it afterwards I need not lie...

Offline larrydj9000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2016, 03:43 PM »
Welcome larrydj9000, what color/s you like ?  Your location ?

I tie a black bunny leech onto a jighead. I've fished at Stagecoach with good success. I'd post a photo of it if I can figure out how...

OK, here's a try:
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r484/larrydj9000/Bunny%20ice%20leech_zpsvjx8yj44.jpg

OK, 2nd try:

It is nearly 4 inches long from head to tail tip. Nice and fluffy when new, but becomes like a wiggling black leech when wet.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2016, 05:18 PM »
link to help & FAQ

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=43.0

I started with Photobucket.com, and now using Imgur.com photos have to be up loaded to a 3rd sight and once you upload one the img needs to be right clicked on and copy past to where you are posting it.

here is a good info link on posting pictrues

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=31022.msg300148#msg300148
Bud

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2016, 06:01 PM »
there ya go.  good job :clap: :bow:
Bud

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2016, 06:11 PM »
OK larry, I'll bite. What's the shiny finish on the jig head? Did you do that or is it a commercial finish? It looks to be "chromish" but it might just be black. I'm curious.....

IFF, I saw your post on the NY thread and thought I'd pump this one up a bit. Crazy Crawler? What color? And if it's the musky size one maybe we can make a trade.....  ;D

I inherited a pile of stuff from my maternal grandfather. Lots of stuff I never thought I'd use but now it starts to light some bulbs. My Dad once picked up a barred owl off the road and skinned it for me. Very illegal but very unique. Shhhh! I've got literally BOXES of bucktails, many that I've dyed in colors for musky spinners. Hmmmm. Now, as I think of it, what would happen if you tied classic patterns in crazy colors? Remember, you heard it here first!

'Nuf for now.... This is going to be fun!

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2016, 09:00 PM »
a local tier dropped of his scud pattern, But I left them at work so will post a picture of them after my next shift Tuesday  ;D
Bud

Offline larrydj9000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2016, 09:11 PM »
Sox,

It's probably a reflection. It is just a black jighead with a black bunny leech pattern tied onto it. It is so simple, that an first time fly tier like me could tie it. A couple days ago I got a 19" rainbow off of one, and a friend did too first time ice fishing. The one in the photo is a big head, and one I got in Wisconsin visiting the relatives. Here in Steamboat, the only jighead source is Walmart, so I used a smaller jig, but wrapped lead to get it heavier for a good jigging action. Both have gotten good results.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 01, 2016, 10:33 PM »
Making some progress on getting bench set up. Had to make a base for the magnifier and put some springs on it. decided I think I like the peg board to make things more visible.

Bud

Offline larrydj9000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2016, 09:56 AM »
Making some progress on getting bench set up. Had to make a base for the magnifier and put some springs on it. decided I think I like the peg board to make things more visible.

(Image removed from quote.)

Looks good. I decided to go with a strong white light and wear magnifying glasses. No pegboard, I used a 60 bobbin holder from Walmart attached to the wall behind the desk, but the pegboard looks very functional as well.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2016, 01:40 PM »
Mrs. hasn't use the sewing machine but once that I know of in the past 25 years, So I will philfer those bobbins  ;D, at least until she notices them missing. ::) Hope I can get some tying in before I think I have to rearrange things. I will likely just us it for light, I have the hobby head band maginfier also.
Bud

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 04, 2016, 10:53 AM »
Looks good! And very similar to my set up minus the neatness and lights! I have an LED shop light above which is nice but I still get shadows now and then! Maybe I will share a pic if I can make it in the basement! 3rd degree burns around my ankle stopped all my fishing! So if I can get down there I will kill this down time with some tying!

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 04, 2016, 11:46 AM »
Been a while, but guess we never forget, I think that's what I remember, not sure about some things last month though  ::) Dang hillbilly, burns don't sound good, hope you heal up soon.

Bud

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 04, 2016, 08:39 PM »
Here's the set up! I keep getting kicked out of the shanty trying to post 2 pics! So no pic of the first fly today ok so looks like I hotter dun!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.