Author Topic: So who got out?!  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
So who got out?!
« on: Jan 25, 2016, 11:04 AM »
Who got on the ice in Rhode Island this past weekend? I know Halfhooked posted about Meadowbrook. That is all I have seen. I had a pretty crappy weekend's worth of fishing in Western Mass. I guess the fact that the storm avoided that area altogether didn't help the fishing. Saturday I spent 4 hours at Barton's Cove and got skunked. I was using huge shiners, so it was going to be a quality fish or nothing. I only saw two flags go off all morning. One group got a walleye and another landed what looked like a small bass or maybe a perch.

Sunday I hit the Oxbow for three hours. Very slow. Got a decent sized pickerel and jigged up some panfish. Saw nobody else with any flags going up.

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
Re: So who got out?!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2016, 11:36 AM »
I got out on Wilson on Saturday and Sunday. Had a great day Saturday, especially when the snow started. Easily caught 20 fish. Yesterday we caught six total. Caught some nice yellow perch Saturday. Lots of picks and some bass mixed in.
Marking anything?

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2016, 11:50 AM »
Very cool, Brendog. How thick was the ice? Was it crowded?

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2016, 02:28 PM »
3-5". There were a couple groups out on both days. Still some open water though.
Marking anything?

Offline Reginald Bonz III

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2016, 07:37 AM »
I was also out on Wilson's on Saturday.  There was about a football field and a half of open water.  First time with open water for me.
The cool thing is we got to fish with a Bald Eagle.  Wish i could have gotten a picture...it was too far away and right on the edge of open water.

Got about 15 fish 1 perch, 7 bass, Some pickerel, and 1 catfish.   That is the second cat i have seen through the ice a Wilson's.

Good Day ;D ;D
Keep those holes clean and smooth

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2016, 08:50 AM »
I was also out on Wilson's on Saturday.  There was about a football field and a half of open water.  First time with open water for me.
The cool thing is we got to fish with a Bald Eagle.  Wish i could have gotten a picture...it was too far away and right on the edge of open water.

Got about 15 fish 1 perch, 7 bass, Some pickerel, and 1 catfish.   That is the second cat i have seen through the ice a Wilson's.

Good Day ;D ;D

Was that you in the blue Clam shelter?
Marking anything?

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2016, 10:02 AM »
no... Me and my cousin were not in the shelter. might have been right next to you guys.  Did you have the Shepard come out after?

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2016, 10:50 AM »
Glad all you guys got out there. Thinking I am going to have to travel to ice again this weekend.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2016, 10:55 AM »
5 inches where we were fishing.

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2016, 11:08 AM »
no... Me and my cousin were not in the shelter. might have been right next to you guys.  Did you have the Shepard come out after?

No I was close to the ramp in a blue shelter.
Marking anything?

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2016, 12:44 PM »
the other guys next to us were killing it too. They must have had 30 flags. 

Did you guys see the Bald Eagle?

Offline BASSRI

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2016, 03:14 PM »
Comeonnow, Mr. P and I got out today.  Went to Wilsons and the ice wasn't very good at all, especially the edges- went though right at the boat ramp while coming off.  There is still an area in the middle of the pond that looks like it JUST froze over, so I'd stay away.  Had a decent morning...  a few bass and a bunch of whip pickerel. 

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2016, 06:26 PM »
anyone go out ? heard there was guys on Stump
How are the edges ?

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2016, 06:36 PM »
 I got out at a pond in central mass, and Sharps and his crew were there too.  They were killing the crappie, among other species. I caught pickerel of various sizes with one decent bass in the mix.  When I was buying bait at Big Bear at closing time last night, a guy came in and bought shiners. He said him and his buddy were going to Stump.  I was definitely surprised to hear him say that. Maybe it was the two of them out there?

Offline comeonnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2016, 06:41 PM »
I got out in central Mass today too. Got there a little late and only caught a few pickerel today. 8" of good ice. Gonna hit it again tomorrow with Mr. P.     :)

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2016, 08:46 PM »
Pretty good day out there. About 100 fish for the 4 of us. Bass, pickerel, crappie, and blue gills. Weather was great. Great to meet you Flatland.
Just add water.

Offline TheManDJV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2016, 10:33 PM »
ended up going to New Hampshire today only had 8 inches on a small lake but flags were poppin, took a while just to get three tilts setup as the first two kept going nuts, many perch and pickerel and finally caught fish on the jig stick and small ice pole! Was a much better trip than my last few no rounds, I know this ain't no New Hampshire forum but I haven't been on the site in about a week , hope everybody's doing good out there
Flaaaaaaaaaaaag!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline fredjiggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2016, 10:17 PM »
Had a similar experience in NH 22 fish in two hours. Mostly crappie,  1.25lb to 1.5lb. Slobs.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2016, 08:45 AM »
Nice job getting on those slabs!
Just add water.

Offline fredjiggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2016, 12:46 PM »
Hoping to get back to NH soon. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: