Author Topic: LX7 issues  (Read 10648 times)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: LX7 issues
« Reply #30 on: Jan 25, 2016, 01:21 PM »
for what it's worth. my new lx7 went dead first time out and was a serial cable that has about 10 wires or so that has an inline connector that fell off from the inside control panel to the main board. so that means it wasn't pushed in all of the way from the manufacturer. i wonder if this may be happening to you but not all of the way off yet.

they normally do just take care of you while on the phone and not make you go thru red tape to get help. it's normally the tech that answers the phone too. it used to be chris, but he is gone now and Jeremiah is the man.

a call might shed some light on what else to try on your end.

good luck!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 25, 2016, 01:56 PM »
I got to get me one of them Marcums

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 25, 2016, 04:34 PM »
My LX-5 will do this too.
It is ice on the line and lure being picked up by the finder.
Usually takes a couple of minutes to disappear.

This is what I was thinking as well.

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 25, 2016, 08:01 PM »
I get the "ghost stuff" on my lx7 as well.  I take the sensitivity all the way down to zero real quick, then bump it back up to where I had it set, and it clears the screen.  Like was stated, it is usually after a missed hookset, but it doesn't do it often enough to bother me.  I figure I am a lot better off having a unit that has a ghost now and then rather than no unit at all.  My fishing has improved a TON over last year with this unit.  It's my first ever, and I love it.  I figure if it is sensitive enough to pick up a ghost, it should do fine with fish! ;D
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline yoopermjm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 25, 2016, 08:29 PM »
that was interesting ,I did not know that.thanks for sharing

+1
I learned something new today. Thanks

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 26, 2016, 07:53 PM »
Took my new LX-7 out today after watching every video I could find and reading all the information I could especially the knowledge on the unit from "3300". Thank you sir. No issues or problems. The unit ran like I'd hope it would.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:05 PM »
yes sir they are amazing sonars! so cutting edge many aren't used to them and try to compare it to what they used to use while learning it.
they are like the differences between a smart phone and a land line phone.

i'm glad you are enjoying yours like i do my own! thanks for the kind words and you are most certainly welcome ;)2

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 30, 2016, 06:07 PM »
I was so close to chucking my LX7 down a hole today....I had clouds of yellows near bottom and the thing would just LAG horribly when I would move my jig up and had fish follow. Hours later in shalower water the thing was just going bonkers. Triangles all over the screen, depth going from 6 ft to 180 ft. Wacky lines all over the place....shut off the unit multiple times. Checked every connection. Checked ducer cable. Checked battery connections. Messed with every setting possible as well. Got real bad when the wind picked up and it got really cold. I took a video of it going bananas that I will post tomorrow. This thing needs to be replaced....

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Jan 30, 2016, 08:19 PM »
that's what the warranty is for.
no one else ever mentioned those issues before tho.
looks like end of the ice maybe anyway.

if you want to sell it shoot me a pm. i might be able to move it for you.

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 30, 2016, 08:28 PM »
At this point I don't understand why you don't just send it in. Can still catch fish without a sonar. Does it suck? Yeah. But still doable
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 30, 2016, 08:28 PM »
I'll give ya $100 for it. Marcum's suck  ::)
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 31, 2016, 12:52 AM »
At this point I don't understand why you don't just send it in. Can still catch fish without a sonar. Does it suck? Yeah. But still doable

I am calling them Monday about a warranty return.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Jan 31, 2016, 08:52 AM »
they changed it so you don't need an rma anymore. just use their online procedure on their site to get it going today.
http://marcumtech.com/customforms/index/warranty/

i think it's a loose header connector (12 pin?) that's not fully seated is all, but maybe not. if it were mine, i would open it and see. they were known to do this on rare occasion. mine had it happen , but it fell completely off instead of part way like i think yours is.

it will be fine soon enough.
i kept my nasty bird for back up.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #43 on: Jan 31, 2016, 09:03 AM »
I am calling them Monday about a warranty return.

Make sure you give a detailed description of the failure ...so they can duplicate the condition/settings of the failure ...not sure... you could email them a video of unit in action/failure .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 31, 2016, 02:08 PM »
Completely broke today to where it no longer reads anything and the ticking noise coming from the ducer stopped completely. Must be the cable connections are bad. Boxing it tonight and sending it out tomorrow.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #45 on: Jan 31, 2016, 02:37 PM »
Good let us know the turn around time and if issues were resolved.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 11, 2016, 05:17 PM »
Can this get any worse?????  Finally got the unit back and open the box to a shattered screen. Awesome. I look at the transducer they replaced and the epoxy is all chipping on the corners. The paperwork says they replaced the transducer and an electrical component but this broken body is the original I sent in, so that was not replaced. On top of that, the paperwork doesn't isn't filled out where it says who repaired it or the date. Oh and did I forget to mention they didn't include the faulty charger I told them about 5 times? 

Yeah, I'm loving it.

Offline Evinrude58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 11, 2016, 07:05 PM »
Sorry you seem to be having problems and am surprised by the service you say you received as my experience with Marcum was first class.  I have the vx-1p and dropped it from a moving ATV. Had to send it in as it knocked something loose inside and it eventually stopped working. I recently mailed it on a Thursday and it was repaired and back to me the following Friday.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 12, 2016, 05:16 AM »
So, whoever packaged the unit back up put the screen facing UP, put one single layer of bubble wrap over it, then put the transducer ON the screen and closed the box up. There was no description of what was wrong with the unit either, just what they replaced...

Whether or not I stay with Marcum is going to be purely based on how they handle this.  If they're going to make me send this unit back in and then wait to evaluate it before sending a replacement, I'm going to be really, really disappointed...

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #49 on: Feb 12, 2016, 07:08 AM »
That's very disappointing VT....I d be fuming ..I have gotten more bubble wrap on  lure orders . A respectable Email and phone call is in order . Once again lets us know .... ???

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 12, 2016, 08:13 AM »
That's very disappointing VT....I d be fuming ..I have gotten more bubble wrap on  lure orders . A respectable Email and phone call is in order . Once again lets us know .... ???

Guy I just spoke to wasn't very friendly and when I asked to get a new head unit overnight shipped he just did a "ehhhhh"....Then said there was no mention of a new charger when I know I put that in the email for the warranty.   He also said the chips on the epoxy are normal which doesn't sound normal to me since it looks like it was bouncing around on concrete. I just emailed him pictures, he got them and then said " let me go see when I can do K?  I said sure, thinking I would be put on hold. Nope, he just hung up. No mention of a call back or an email or anything. Disappointing.....

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Feb 12, 2016, 08:19 AM »
I have never had an unpleasant experience with Vexilar customer service when I've had to call them about firmware issues, ghosting, chipped epoxy, bad wiring, etc...
But seriously, good luck with everything Matt, I know you fish hard and you buy quality gear and take care of it. I'm not using my bomb-proof FL-18 this weekend if you're desperate.

Offline joemx1825

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 12, 2016, 08:21 AM »
that's strange, I've had numerous email conversations back and forth with Marcum support and they always respond within the hour...They've always been a 1st rate customer service company in my experience...

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #53 on: Feb 12, 2016, 08:27 AM »
If you bought it via your credit card there may extended protections offered by the card one call may answer that question ...may want to wash your hands of this unit and move on to another Marcum unit or another brand .

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 12, 2016, 08:31 AM »
Someone else called me back and they were in a much better mood. They're overnighting a new head unit and are giving me a prepaid label to send the broken one back. Also including the charger. They had a new guy in shipping apparently and it was not boxed correctly.  Hopefully things are better from here on out and I can test it on Sunday.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #55 on: Feb 12, 2016, 08:35 AM »
Very good news  :clap:...keep us posted ....about your saga ...

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Feb 12, 2016, 08:43 AM »
Glad things might finally work out for you :clap:

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 12, 2016, 09:41 AM »
I'm still baffled at the luck you've had Matt!!! Hang in there man, a good days fishing is all you need!!!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Feb 12, 2016, 10:03 AM »
I bet the Ion is next in line  :'(

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #59 on: Feb 12, 2016, 10:10 AM »
Hope Marcum sends you a tracking number ....curious to see what route it takes before it arrives on your doorstep.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.