New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: sandy pond  (Read 34117 times)

Offline Carcajou17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Fishin' Gal
Re: sandy pond
« Reply #60 on: Feb 08, 2016, 07:26 AM »
JBoggey1, yesterday was a day that will keep us newtimers coming back, too.  It was very nice to meet Cusefan and Tony and spend some ice time together.  The perch kept my tip downs busy albeit a bunch of dinks most of the time.  Icing that pike made me happy, indeed.  Thanks to Cusefan for helping get it out of the hole while my tip down reel was breaking.  Fun and exciting.  I ended up with 13 keepers and a slime log.  Glad I had my Smitty to make the drag easier but I'm paying for the 2 mile round trip today.  I'm not 20 anymore (what?!). 

Thanks also to TommyBoy1971  :clap:  for the suggestion a few weeks back to wrap the slime log in newspaper for awhile before filleting.  I put the log in a newsprint nap while the perch were being taken care of and it cut the slime down considerably.  I still need more practice filleting those things before I figure out which way I like the best.  I'm trying to waste as little as possible but it ain't pretty right now dealing with the Y bones.  Haha.  I'll get it eventually.  Guess I'll just have to keep catching them! 

choo choo___wonderfully stated post.     :tipup:

LPSteve___I don't have a wheeler so I generally walk everywhere unless I'm fishing with someone who has one.  Smittys are super great for sure!
Carcajou = Wolverine
Blessed and thanking God I can do this ice fishing thing...

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Feb 08, 2016, 06:02 PM »
Heard someone went through on Greene Point today. Be safe!

Offline panfishing pirate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 08, 2016, 06:08 PM »
anybody know if parking lot is open at greene point
nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline seadawg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Feb 08, 2016, 06:32 PM »
yes cathy reopened parking at GP......my buddy had his wheeler out today...said 6-7" everywhere he was....nobody went thru today that he knew of

Offline Clint S

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Feb 08, 2016, 07:17 PM »
anybody know if parking lot is open at greene point

I fished GP Sunday. There was 4-6 six inches of honeycombed black ice. Not the greatest , but perfectly safe.  I will mirror what Jboggey said. I got  35 keepers and I too kept a few smaller ones. About 10 nice ones 10-12 inches and alot of 7 to 9.  I kept a few 7's that were fat or hooked deep as I do tip ups and I forgot my cleats so it was slow going to get to them. I had flags all day long and lots of bites jigging, never more than 10 minutes between bites. Pretty good day though. 2 pike about 24 or so jigging too.  Fished from 9 till 6 and was second last off the ice only because I ran out of fatheads

Offline Teerod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Feb 08, 2016, 07:22 PM »
I fished GP Sunday. There was 4-6 six inches of honeycombed black ice. Not the greatest , but perfectly safe.  I will mirror what Jboggey said. I got  35 keepers and I too kept a few smaller ones. About 10 nice ones 10-12 inches and alot of 7 to 9.  I kept a few 7's that were fat or hooked deep as I do tip ups and I forgot my cleats so it was slow going to get to them. I had flags all day long and lots of bites jigging, never more than 10 minutes between bites. Pretty good day though. 2 pike about 24 or so jigging too.  Fished from 9 till 6 and was second last off the ice only because I ran out of fatheads

Sounds like an amazing day, going to need to get there soon.

Offline ESKIMOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Feb 08, 2016, 08:09 PM »
sunday proved well for my grandson and 2 of our friends out of close to 100 perch they brought back 60 good keepers nothing over 12inch.....tip downs non stop action..they fished outta wigwam after saturdays bounty went back to same spot.......we are blessed to be able to fill our freezers..giving thanks to the lord......

Offline Clint S

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Feb 09, 2016, 06:00 AM »
Yo Clint S,

Thanks for the report on Green Point. I have been eager to get over there, but the last 2 times I went there was open water and Cathy was smart enough to close the access. The women over at Green Point are very safety conscious even if the fishing addicts aren't. There are always spots out toward the cut that are dangerously thin and I can personally vouch for two Gas holes in that direction. Still, the variety of species at Green Point is unmatched on the open Pond. Did you catch any blue gills over there? I always get some nice flat fish to complement my perch catch over there and an occasional Bass  and always a lurking slime log . There is even a secret spot or two where the Crappie can be found, ahem, don't worry Trap, my mouth is closed.  Again , Clint s thanks for the report.

FISH ON

I was expecting to have to go to the Wig wam , but it was aok there. Only about 10-15  folks there.  My gill collection there seems spotty at best as in my experience they take the spikes more than the fathead, and I primarily fish with fatheads. None Saturday, I too have gotten some lunker bass. I try to stay away from the cut area because I always see open water over there first and I know it can get thin, little sand in the ice over there too getting blown in will dull your auger blades too.  Crappie's,  I find a few now and then, but never consistently.    I remember one day I got there and Cathy was so mad that a few folks went out before she got there she turned me right around and said no way.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #68 on: Feb 09, 2016, 06:28 AM »
theres no crappies at green point!!!! ;D

of course I say this in jest (joking) last time I said  a spot had no fish I was attacked  :roflmao:  ,seems  like a lot of people are short tempered lately ,i'm not sure  why really we have  ice  again not the  best but it's safe  if you pay attention and   check with that spud I preach about  ,we got fish  again on the  pond  and  were not walking threw  2 foot of snow ......get out there and  enjoy yourselves while you can ......and  yes  boggey a  8 inch perch will eat and  yup I ain't afraid of  Y bones ......my fillet knife has no rust on it  ;D

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Former usmc, former us army airborne, current DOD
« Reply #69 on: Feb 09, 2016, 08:38 AM »
Wish I could have got out there with you guys last weekend!  But had work to do on the house.  But I am taking Friday off.  The wife works thursday night and friday night, so she will be sleeping friday and saturday so I will be fishing!  Carcajou17 that newspaper thing works good the longer you keep the pike wrapped in it. Ideally if you bring the paper out when you fish and wrap it when you catch it, all the slime is soaked up by the time you are ready to clean later that night. Glad it worked for you! 
You can get a good look at a steak by sticking your head up a bull's a$$, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it??

Offline Carcajou17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Fishin' Gal
« Reply #70 on: Feb 09, 2016, 09:06 AM »
...I always thought you brought the news paper with you cause you were Intellectual or had to wipe something.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBoggey1___  Hahaha!   ;D

TommyBoy1971___Peeling off the newspaper from the pike made me think of Silly Putty for some reason...haha.  It worked great, though.  I'm looking forward to getting more pike.  Also, I have a 4-day weekend Fri-Mon.  My plan is to be out all four days if I can help it.  I'll most likely stick to the Wigwam area.  Just look for my smitty sled and the red shelter if you make it out.  Maybe JBog will be there, too?  Friday's predictions are that winds will be whipping near 20mph around noon and 1-3 inches of snow throughout the day.  I bet the winds keep it from stacking up, though.  Get those ice screws out, batten down the hatches, and fish on!    :tipup:
Carcajou = Wolverine
Blessed and thanking God I can do this ice fishing thing...

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Feb 09, 2016, 09:59 AM »
yeah I got a four day too.  Saw that wind, hope its just for a couple hours.  Definitely will be out friday so I will look for you and Boggey.  Gotta stock up some perch and pike for the freezer!  Wiping is over rated Boggey!
You can get a good look at a steak by sticking your head up a bull's a$$, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it??

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #72 on: Feb 09, 2016, 11:13 AM »
this  coming week boggey  i'll be  out  there!!!!  love  to fish  with ya old  boy  and  the  rest of  the  gang ....that way we  can gang up on  you!!!!....i'd  love  to  spend  the  day  on  the  pond  catching  some  perch  and chasing a  flag or two..... wouldn't  even  mind  going over  and  catching a  few  of those  nonexistent crappies   ;D

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Feb 09, 2016, 11:48 AM »
Yo Boggey
I think I'll take a little road trip up to the Pond this weekend ! Sounds like some legendary ice anglers will be on hand  :woot: :icefish:
ice fishing rules

Offline Cusefan78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Feb 09, 2016, 02:53 PM »
Top secret you say. Hang on I still owe you for blowing up my chaumont spot. Let me dig up those coordinates to post.
2011 King of the pond champion. Don't hate me cause I'm great!

Offline pa ice swimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Feb 09, 2016, 04:31 PM »
TOP SECRET!!! LOL ;)

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #76 on: Feb 09, 2016, 04:48 PM »
Honey hole at the pond ...must have pulled three keepers out ::)....it is the best place to bring a kid fishing  hands down

Offline CNYperchsearch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Feb 09, 2016, 07:20 PM »
Made my first trip to the pond today with a couple of fishing buddies. It seemed that we lost a little ice as the temp got above freezing, but it was never less than 4 inches.  There was a small slush area at the top of the rock pile out from the Wigwam that made me change coarse. Don't know how thin it might have been. It just made more sense to go around.

The fishing was steady all day, but unfortunately most were dink perch. We each kept about 10 that were in the 9 to 12 inch range.  They hit on a variety of bait, but fatheads were the best. Not a single flag on the pike tip ups.

Next trip up I'll have to search for Boggey's honey hole. ;) ;)

Offline greenhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Feb 11, 2016, 06:43 AM »
How much snow did the the Pond get Bogey .Only  got  a dusting in Cicero  my poor son had to go to school  after his  snow day calculator snow  told him there was  a 99% chance of a  snow day.Of course Parish got pummeled  I was going to hit the n.shore.

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #79 on: Feb 11, 2016, 07:57 AM »
How much snow did the the Pond get Bogey .Only  got  a dusting in Cicero  my poor son had to go to school  after his  snow day calculator snow  told him there was  a 99% chance of a  snow day.Of course Parish got pummeled  I was going to hit the n.shore.

Wait till Saturday.  Supposed to snow alllllllll day today. 

Myself and the kids have all next week off.  Look for a pack basket with an American flag stuck in it.  Please come over and say hi.

Offline greenhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Feb 11, 2016, 08:00 AM »
Thanks,might do that my son is off next week too . Good luck

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Feb 11, 2016, 09:16 AM »
got about 2.5 to 3 ft in Mexico last night, but on my drive up to Drum this morning, pulaski didn't look like they got much at all on 81 so I'm guessing the pond wont have much on it either and it was fairly windy. was real light dry snow in that area.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Feb 11, 2016, 10:13 AM »
worth making a trip saturday? no ice to be had here in wayne county so time to travel!
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Teerod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Feb 11, 2016, 10:16 AM »
Thinking of heading here tomorrow, it will be my first time on the pond.  What's my best bet for a close bait shop? 

Offline philljenkinss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Feb 11, 2016, 11:18 AM »
Thinking of heading here tomorrow, it will be my first time on the pond.  What's my best bet for a close bait shop?

any time i've gone to the pond we have stopped at Woody's on Rt 3 just south of the bridge that crosses the salmon river, its about 15-20 min before you get to GP if i remember correctly

Offline seadawg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Feb 11, 2016, 11:21 AM »
3 or 4 bait shops in Pulaski

also the redemption center in sandy creek has bait....next to post office near the red light....tom usually there between 6.30 an 7

fished green point this morning....not as good a bite as yesterday.....quite windy today but not much snow

Offline philljenkinss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Feb 11, 2016, 11:30 AM »
3 or 4 bait shops in Pulaski

also the redemption center in sandy creek has bait....next to post office near the red light....tom usually there between 6.30 an 7

fished green point this morning....not as good a bite as yesterday.....quite windy today but not much snow

how was the ice out from green point?

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Feb 11, 2016, 12:16 PM »
Thanks for the report! Think we are headed up Saturday. Not for the derby but to hopefully catch some fish!
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Feb 11, 2016, 12:32 PM »
Great report JBoggey ..............I hope to see you this weekend  ;)
ice fishing rules

Offline philljenkinss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Feb 11, 2016, 12:48 PM »

In closing, these are my observations of existing conditions. I make no recommendations nor do I warrant these same conditions to prevail at all locations on the Pond. We all know about the gas holes and care should be taken when negotiating the pond. I would also like to note, the Sandy Pond Sportsmans Club is holding their 40th anual Tournament on Saturday and Sunday. These guys and gals do a great job and have a lot of fun. Don't forget they serve one heck of a breakfast atr there club. John, Brian, John and fellow staff members will serve you  a great breakfast. Great way to start your day .  Make sure you bring your tie down screws and heaters. It is supposed to be windy and cold this week end. Good Luck ith your tournament.

FISH ON

how do you sign up for the tourney?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.