Author Topic: Jiffy frustration!!!!!  (Read 3876 times)

Offline hot shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jiffy frustration!!!!!
« on: Jan 22, 2016, 04:04 PM »
So took my jiffy into the shop for a carb rebuild. It started good at the shop but didn't seem to kick into high idle. The shop owner says it will be fine once under load. I get it out onto the ice and it won't start. An hour of screwing around and finally starts but runs terrible. So take it back to the shop, auger is now cold from ride home so we leave it outside....fires right up but still running bad. Shop owner re adjusts carb settings and it seems ok but still doesn't want to kick into high (like the really high Rev "overdrive" high idle). He says again it will be fine. This time just drive to the local pond and test it. Wants to bog and stall once a few inches into the ice!!!!! I can keep it going a little longer by feathering the throttle back and fourth but still just bogs and dies.
QUESTION.....did they screw up the carb rebuild or does it just need more adjusting while under load or is it something else?

Offline hot shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jiffy frustration!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2016, 06:11 PM »
I guess when I say high idle I really should be saying high speed. The auger idles good but when you give it throttle it cuts slowly and will not kick up the rpm to high speed so then just bogs and dies.

Offline bandit

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Born to Fish
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2016, 06:52 PM »
Some small engine carbs have two jets. Idle jet & high speed jet.
I would check for second carb set screw

Offline bandit

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Born to Fish
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2016, 07:30 PM »
Some times the manufacture will put a tamper proof plastic cover over it. Usually red plastic cover.

Offline hot shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2016, 07:32 PM »
Yes there are 2. The shop has adjusted both a few times. I don't know what's going on but really starting to get frustrating. I don't know why it won't kick up into high speed. The only way to get it to really rev is to close the second screw right off....and I'm pretty sure that's not good.

Offline hot shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2016, 09:14 PM »
Would a bad fuel mix cause this?
I think the shop put way too much oil in the gas!

Offline mcdee

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • w
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2016, 10:20 PM »
If it idles fine and starts fine then I'm guessing your idle speed screw is set correctly or close to it. It's your right high speed screw is not turned out enough . try 1 1/4 out counter clockwise from bottom of seat . it should hit high rpm under load once its warmed up with choke fully off cutting a hole at load . That high speed screw needs to be out 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 full turn out on my Jiffy or it runs just like you explained.

Offline walleye34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2016, 03:32 PM »
Hello,  I would try cracking your fuel cap and see if it still does it,  sounds to me like a lack of fuel. 
A bad day on a frozen lake is still better than a good day doing ANYTHING else  :o

Offline justme

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2016, 09:28 AM »
I had the same problem with my jiffy I replaced the fuel lines, fixed the problem. Auger was only a few years old but fuel line was so brittle I could crumble
it between my fingers .You might have same problem.   hope this helps   

Offline Tee Tot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Laker Man
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2016, 12:06 AM »
Have you tried what Mcdee posted?   Both screws turned out 1.5 turns is a good place to start. And Walleye 34 obviously has had the same problem that I have also had with the breather screw on top of the fuel tank. fuel needs to be fresh, premium with 50-1 with Stihl chainsaw oil is what I use. Have never had the fuel line problem with mine  Hmmmm    Mine is 27 years old and still cuttin holes.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2016, 04:47 PM »
The diaphragm behind the carb could be the culprit too.

Offline fishaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2016, 07:05 AM »
I've had issues in the past with my Jiffy as well. Quick fix for me was to choke it just a bit. Mine was a 2 horse and had no adjustment screws though. I finally fixed the problem gor good when I bought a Tanaka. Good luck.
Go fish.

Offline Walleye Whisperer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2016, 12:37 PM »
Sounds similar to what I was dealing with, but with my strikemaster. Ended up finding a crack in the return fuel line out of the carb, repaired it with new line and works like a champ. Maybe check all fuel lines, screens in gas tank, if there are any. Maybe just a fuel line issue.

Offline hot shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2016, 09:33 AM »
Well I took everyone's suggestions and auger is running great now. I changed the fuel line, put in new gas, changed the plug, sharpened the point, sharpened the blade and adjusted the carb settings. Not sure which one of the fixes worked the best but can say that carb settings seem to make a big difference and it's easier to do than I thought.
I also had some blades absolutely butchered by a local shop, so decided to make my own jig and sharpen them all myself.....they are razor sharp now with a perfect angle and cut better than new!!!!
Thanks to everyone for all you suggestions, help and guidance. Very much appreciated.

Offline gotaf7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2016, 09:59 AM »
Which shop butchered your blades?  I need to get mine done and dont want a crap job.

Offline hot shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2016, 10:13 AM »
Sent pm. I don't really want to post the guy on the forum but can say that they were terrible. Out of all of them I had done, not one was straight, not one was sharp and not one was the right angle. Some of the teeth actually ended up different lengths!

Came home pretty ticked off but made a custom jig and now can sharpen my own and they are spot on spec. The design of the jig makes it very accurate and razor sharp everytime with no worry of ever being off angle. Best part is never have to rely on someone else to do them now and can do them anytime, as often as I want as the jig allows settings for minor touch ups for maintenance right through to aggressive sharpening. They cut better than any new blade I've ever bought.

Offline fishin_guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2016, 01:54 PM »
Amazing what sharp blades will do.  My Jiffy has the serrated teeth and was cutting very fine shavings.  A fellow fisherman noticed and told me to sharpen my blades.  Not that I wanted to but bought the Jiffy sharpening stone for 75 bucks I think.  Man after sharpening them that blade chewed through ice.

Offline hot shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2016, 02:54 PM »
You're right. Makes a huge difference. Even if it's cutting good, a quick touch up makes a noticeable difference.
Cuts way better and the best part....much easier on the operator too lol

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2016, 10:46 AM »
Amazing what sharp blades will do.  My Jiffy has the serrated teeth and was cutting very fine shavings.  A fellow fisherman noticed and told me to sharpen my blades.  Not that I wanted to but bought the Jiffy sharpening stone for 75 bucks I think.  Man after sharpening them that blade chewed through ice.
Jiffy sharpening stone? Never heard of that! Is it foolproof or can that stone make things worse if not an expert sharpener?
I've always taken my 2 sets to a Pro every year for sharpening. Like you mentioned, sometimes a tiny touch up might do wonders. The only time my Jiffy ripper blades seem to have trouble cutting is when there is some ice stuck on the bottom plate where all the Teflon wore off the (D'Ice Armor).
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline fishin_guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2016, 10:13 PM »
Jiffy sharpening stone? Never heard of that! Is it foolproof or can that stone make things worse if not an expert sharpener?
I've always taken my 2 sets to a Pro every year for sharpening. Like you mentioned, sometimes a tiny touch up might do wonders. The only time my Jiffy ripper blades seem to have trouble cutting is when there is some ice stuck on the bottom plate where all the Teflon wore off the (D'Ice Armor).

Bought this and it was easy to use.  The angle is preset already.  It is fool proof.  I did both the ripping blade and the two small center rippers on my Jiffy.  Insert and swipe........Kind of like my wife and the visa card.

http://www.jiffyonice.com/EComStore/product/blade-sharpener,3649,25.htm

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2016, 03:21 PM »

Bought this and it was easy to use.  The angle is preset already.  It is fool proof.  I did both the ripping blade and the two small center rippers on my Jiffy.  Insert and swipe........Kind of like my wife and the visa card.

http://www.jiffyonice.com/EComStore/product/blade-sharpener,3649,25.htm
Good one  :woot:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.