Author Topic: Frabill Aegis 2000 review  (Read 7504 times)

Offline Cali009

• Team IceShanty Regular
Frabill Aegis 2000 review
« on: Jan 22, 2016, 12:15 PM »

First test out was a great day. Me being 5'5" 150lbs and my buddy 6’1” 290lbs we fished very comfortably beside one another. It was a very nice day out so we only turned out heat on for the last hour of fishing on a 5 hour on ice day. It heated up very well with our Martin heater (similar to Mr. Buddy).

We rigged the tow rope differently. I had old wakeboard rope. (non-stretch) and made a loop then ran a small bit and made another loop, cut the rest and made one LARGE loop and run that through the two small loops to give me to 5 foot loops to give over my shoulders and it was so easy to pull.

STORAGE
It is nice and clutter free with the Plano trunks. The trunks fit a lot of items Plano 3600 series perfectly . My Vexilar FL8 pro pack fits in with plenty of space for tackle trays and everything you need. The second box is very empty as I the size allows for up to 25” rods. So there is only 4 in there. (So there will be some tinkering with this shack. Rod holder in one of the trunks like in a bass boat maybe.)It was nice to have the trunks to divide our gear and easy to take in and out.

THE BAD/GOOD
The only problem I have had is the Plano trunks. One of the trunks broke the day if assembling the hut. ( yes you have nothing to do to them but attach the foam. But the spot here the latch locks on to the trunk broke.
I will say. I have worked in retail for over 22 years on a Sales Rep, Retail Management and Sales floor staff. FRABILL was exceptional with their customer service 2 emails and a photo and they sent a new trunk ASAP. I have used it as storage until we could do a on ice test. And guess what it broke in the same spot. So I now have 3 trunks one without foam. Two witch do not latch closed on one side. I am not going to be a pain again and try to get a 4th trunk. But they will be notified again of the problem. with photos of two trunks broken.

CONCLUSION
Great hut for the price(on sale). But a few things need to be fixed on PLANO’s end. Customer service BEST experience I have ever had.

I would recommend this for sure. If you can afford the higher end models do it. You will want a back rest.

I should have purchased the aegis 2300 (full insulated and boat seats on trunks) but the price I paid for mine. 495$ with all taxes at Canadian tire when it was on sale with a gift card and all my CT money. Right before the sale was off and back to $599.99 plus taxes 13%.

If all huts came with a cover the value would be unbeatable. 

In 2016/17 season I will purchase the thermal tent replacement and boat seats.

I will try to post photos (instagram links asap) do not like how i have to post photos on here to complicated
best long underwear on the planet

!* AIRBLASTER *!

Offline clapton

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Frabill Aegis 2000 review
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2016, 08:04 PM »
I'm thinking of getting this flipover as well.Can't find the flipseat model anywhere.
Did the trunks bust from sitting on them?
I see your in Ottawa,so am i.Fish shirleys bay at all?

Offline Cali009

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2016, 09:54 AM »
No the seats did not break from me siting on them.

hard to explain over this but i think it broke when i removed the lid one of the latches must have caught and broke its locking point.

OTTAWA kind of sucks for fishing gear. hard to see and get everything. you might have to deal with BASS PRO.

i have never fished Shirley's bay. i tend to drive out to Renfrew a lot as my bro-in-law (fishing partner) are out there.

!* AIRBLASTER *!

Offline clapton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2016, 10:48 AM »
Thanks for the info.
One more question if you don't mind?Do you think it would be possable to remove a trunk and use a chair inside?
I like that this hut is only 53 pounds but I'm thinking I would need a back rest for sure.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2016, 11:00 AM »
Thanks for the info.
One more question if you don't mind?Do you think it would be possable to remove a trunk and use a chair inside?
I like that this hut is only 53 pounds but I'm thinking I would need a back rest for sure.

Get an HT sports chair ...light weight and good for your back .

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/ht-enterprises-padded-back-and-seat-sports-chair?a=64293
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline KATfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2016, 03:32 PM »
I just purchased the Aegis 2250 thermal version with swivel boat seats.  Super comfortable, but definitely more weight at 80 lbs. before gear. It still pulls really nice by hand. A cover is a must for protecting the tent and laying gear on top, especially with the 300 denier tent versions. I just sold my previous generation shanty... Frabill Trekker II.  It was 10 lbs. lighter with the 300 denier tent, but after 4 years of moderate use and great care, the inside was showing a lot of light where the rubbery coating started to wear off. Could have resprayed, but the wind whip was also another factor for upgrading to a thermal version. All versions of this shelter seem nice though and I appreciate the different configurations. A back rest is a MUST though, and there are several ways to handle it, such as the nice option hardwater shared, especially for staying light, or going with one of the options that actually includes jump seats or boat seats.  Good luck!

Offline Cali009

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2016, 11:13 AM »
Get an HT sports chair ...light weight and good for your back .

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/ht-enterprises-padded-back-and-seat-sports-chair?a=64293

Oh yah the trunks are removable. kind of a nice thing i would say as you can take your gear inside and store it nicely

!* AIRBLASTER *!

Offline clapton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2016, 12:35 PM »
Ended up getting the recruit which is fully insulated.Turns out its not that smaller than the aegis.
Can't find the travel cover for it anywhere.

Offline KATfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2016, 01:47 PM »
Still looking for a cover? Here you go:
http://www.marinegeneral.com/productdetails.asp?productid=1462073&directoryid=11703&parentid=11509

They become increasingly hard to find at this time of year. It's a must in my opinion.  I found a great deal on a new Frabill Trekker cover (most recent version) marked down to 24.99 and if fits my Aegis perfectly!

Offline Cali009

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2016, 02:32 PM »
Still looking for a cover? Here you go:
http://www.marinegeneral.com/productdetails.asp?productid=1462073&directoryid=11703&parentid=11509

They become increasingly hard to find at this time of year. It's a must in my opinion.  I found a great deal on a new Frabill Trekker cover (most recent version) marked down to 24.99 and if fits my Aegis perfectly!

NICE!!! good purchase. i only bought the aegis due to price and i will be bringing a 2nd person most times. if not more room for me.

!* AIRBLASTER *!

Offline Cali009

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2016, 02:33 PM »
NICE!!! good purchase. i only bought the aegis due to price and i will be bringing a 2nd person most times. if not more room for me.

i think i found a local place that has a trekker II cover. i will go get it this weekend.

!* AIRBLASTER *!

Offline clapton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2016, 02:40 PM »

They don't ship to Canada.Plus with the dollar being where it is I may have to keep looking up here.

Offline KATfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2016, 10:48 PM »
Hardwater - I love Cabelas products and their guarantee. I recently bought a pair of waders for trout fishing and they are so comfortable. Quality is great. 

Regarding covers, I'm sure the Cabelas is really great quality. If you can pick up the Trekker cover, it will probably be a better fit based on dimensions. All the Frabill covers are really nice, but really hard to find. For one day, I had my Frabill Trekker II sitting right next to my Frabill Aegis 2250. The dimensions of the sled are so similar that the clearance covers for Trekker at Gander Mountain came to mind. I went there the next day and sure enough, several of them on a hook for $25. Brought it home and just as imagined, fit perfectly. Pretty sure the only think they changes was the print on the cover. If it is any different, very marginal.

My Aegis is a display model and I was thrilled to get the only one left at Farm & Fleet in WI. It was on a seasonal closeout sale for $375 and when I check F&F online, they had evaporated in every location, except for this one left at a particular store. I quickly purchased it online and then verified by calling the store to make sure it REALLY existed. My wife picked it up for me. Upon inspection I found a quarter sized hole in the skirt... in the location where it begins at the back of the sled. Can be easily mended if I desire, although not necessary. I called F&F to tell them about it and they generously credited me another $100. I feel like I stole it at $275 +tax, fully assembled, fully thermal with boat seats. Sold my Trekker for $200 one day later. Called Frabill and they are sending some complimentary patch material. It's really a non-issue, but I'm meticulous about things and will fix it just for my own aesthetic pleasure. I take really good care of everything I own, so I plan to do the same with this shelter. First time using it will be this Saturday!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2016, 05:58 AM »
KATfishing

I can here the crack of that bat and you rounding the bases ...HOME RUN !!!!!

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline KATfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2016, 08:24 AM »
That is awesome Hardwater! It's also nice to come out here and discuss topics with great folks like yourself. I guess that's what makes forums great - you can find like-minded individuals who appreciate some of the same things in life. Good luck fishing!

Offline Troutbuster1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2017, 07:57 AM »
glad to hear theese reviews,I just ordered the last aegis 2000 from amazon.ca,will have it in a week for less money Canadian then it is listed  for in the US

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.