Author Topic: Jaw Jacker made in Alaska  (Read 4759 times)

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
Jaw Jacker made in Alaska
« on: Jan 21, 2016, 10:01 PM »
Anyone know where these are sold or called? How much? Has anyone tried them any feedback would be great!!!
BOWHUNTER68

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Jaw Jacker made in Alaska
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2016, 10:44 PM »
Here's the mother-lode of information on the Salmon Bear.    ;)2

click here

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2016, 11:55 AM »
Cool thanks !!!
BOWHUNTER68

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2016, 12:17 PM »
I just bought 2 of the salmon bears.
One for each the wife and kid for Christmas.
They are way more skookum than a jaw jacker.
Heavier as well and they don't fold up as small.
I haven't tried them out but so far I think they are better than the jaw jacker.
I asked for some stickers and they sent me a bunch and a salmon bear hat with my order.
Customer service was good also.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2016, 12:44 PM »
I hope a camera goes fishing with you next time out, Chris and good luck.

I splintered a short rod last time out, homemade JJ, bent down to set it, slipped on ice.     :roflmao: :roflmao:

These Salmon Bears are perfect, even for a caveman, ha.    ;)2

Offline AlphaPlex20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2016, 11:05 PM »
I was curious how the salmon bears, jaw jackers, ifish pros, etc... worked when the weather turns foul.  For some reason i have it in my head that they will only work well on nice calm days.  I have never used one and rarely see people using them here in MI in my neck of the woods so i am very ignorant to their range of use.  I thought they would be a great deadstick style tip up.  Just dont think the reels and line would do well in a snow storm being exposed like that.  Do you guys put them in the shelter with you when things get windy and snowy out, or do they hold up?  I figured you guys up in Alaska would have the best knowledge of this.  I plan on getting some because they look like a blast.  I could always throw them in my Polar Bird hub with me if things got a little crazy out.  I have plenty of room and feel that would allow me the most versatility.  Thanks for any input. 

Offline Fishgod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2016, 05:29 PM »
I've only used the Jaw Jacker up here in AK. In cold temps the trigger mechanism can be finicky if you get water on it. When it's very cold I just keep it in my ice shelter.
Why do I always leave shrimp in my pocket from last week?

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2016, 10:18 AM »
There should be no reason for you to need to run the salmon bear inside a shanty.
The manufacturer says they have tested them in -35* f with no problems.
Besides the salmon Bear being a tougher looking unit overall there are some other features I think are better than other brands.
They use a spring mechanism to set the hook as opposed to just the spring from your rod itse
Also they do not use your rod tip in the trip mechanism. They have a separate trip trigger mechanism.
I can't wait to test these units out on the ice!
KasilofChrisN

Offline Fishgod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2016, 01:02 PM »
There should be no reason for you to need to run the salmon bear inside a shanty.
The manufacturer says they have tested them in -35* f with no problems.
Besides the salmon Bear being a tougher looking unit overall there are some other features I think are better than other brands.
They use a spring mechanism to set the hook as opposed to just the spring from your rod itse
Also they do not use your rod tip in the trip mechanism. They have a separate trip trigger mechanism.
I can't wait to test these units out on the ice!

Give us a status update after you test them out. I've been eyeing those units.

Offline AlphaPlex20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2016, 01:55 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  im very interested.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2016, 03:29 AM »
As with any design, It will be copied.   ;D   I had my first (on ice) test with mine a few day's ago.. worked great but unfortunately only had one hit while using it, One trout isn't much of a test.... Headed out again this morning to give it more testing.  I think the only problem would be on really cold days where the hole would freeze up quickly.  If the line got frozen into the ice it wouldn't work so well.. most likely snap the line at the ice either by the fish or by the sudden hook set. So they do need more attention then a tip-up would. 
 I'll post pics when I get back later this evening.

I have tried it out during open water using a 5' rod and had several trout hooked and landed using it.    :tipup:  so far no misses.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2016, 11:01 AM »
Which spring configuration are you using, BF ?

Offline Fishgod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2016, 12:35 PM »
As with any design, It will be copied.   ;D   I had my first (on ice) test with mine a few day's ago.. worked great but unfortunately only had one hit while using it, One trout isn't much of a test.... Headed out again this morning to give it more testing.  I think the only problem would be on really cold days where the hole would freeze up quickly.  If the line got frozen into the ice it wouldn't work so well.. most likely snap the line at the ice either by the fish or by the sudden hook set. So they do need more attention then a tip-up would. 
 I'll post pics when I get back later this evening.

I have tried it out during open water using a 5' rod and had several trout hooked and landed using it.    :tipup:  so far no misses.

Just cut a piece of foam matting into a circle the size of a five gallon bucket mouth. Put a hole in the center of the matting and run a slit from the hole to the outside.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2016, 01:07 PM »
What I find works with any tipup or rod in n a holder is this.
Check them every 1/2 hour or every hour.
I often catch fish shortly after checking them and clearing the ice out.
I think the added movement attracts fish or helps them decide to commit.
Then again I haven't fished in the temps colder than -20* in many years due to our warm winters here in south central AK.
KasilofChrisN

Offline Buckhunterbrown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2016, 12:27 AM »
I bought mine at sportsmans a while back not sure if they still have them, but what I've found is as long as u keep them dry the trigger mechanism won't freeze up. What I did find is that ur line will freeze into the ice and if u put just a drop of lunker lotion, herring oil, or any kind of oily scent u have in ur tackle box around ur line on the surface of the water it will keep ur line from freezing into the ice...... Atleast for a while. It can be deadly for rainbows and other fish that don't consistently stay on tip ups. Using a rod with a good back bone helps. Flimsy rod equals lousy hook ups. Good luck and fish hard....cuz the water is too

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2016, 01:51 AM »
Welcome to Iceshanty, Mr. Buckhunterbrown, or should I say a belated welcome, ha?

Maybe we could coerce you into completing your profile by adding a location ?

The item in question may be the Salmon Bear, made in AK and works without bending the rod during the wait period.

The one shown has already 'fired' and lifted the rod.     ;)2

Offline Pikehunter44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2016, 02:47 AM »
I have 4 jaw jackers and have never had a problem unless your bait is to bit then you miss fish.

The salmon bear is a better design because of the trigger system I believe.   When it gets cold out and your stuff keeps freezing in the hole you need ice bobbers they have a harmless chemical in them that can't freeze and won't let the line freeze in
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Teach a man to fish and he steals your spot!

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2016, 11:33 PM »
So the results are in!
The Salmon Bear is a winner.
I definitely prefer it to the Jawjacker. It is a much better design!
We decided to go to the lake with friends who ended up cancelling due to relatives from Anchorage paying them a surprise visit last night.
I think His wife really did not want to go and the relatives made a good excuse.
So a friend of my wife's and her son Shade had been invited and as luck would have it decided to go along with us due to our later than first planned start time.
We first had to stop and sign Shade in for Trustworthy's ice fishing derby.
Now the road in was a mess and Thankfully I had brought along a bucket of dry traction sand for the one hill.
Our first  spot was slow and we ended up with 4 fish.
We then headed to another spot and cooked some corn dogs on my buddy heater.
It was also slow but we caught a few more fish.
I decided to set up the Salmon Bear a short distance from where we were at.
Then was distracted by the now ready corn dogs.
My wife then asked me to check out some old holes for signs of blood etc. to see if we should move again.
Shade then decided to fish another hole next to my Salmon Bear.
As he got there it went off and it was fish on for the 10 year old kid. He sure acted as though it was a good one.
I was coaching him on getting the fish in when it's head came up and I knew it was a good one.
The line broke as he tried hoisting it out of the water. Luckily I was able to reach down and got ahold of the fish.
It was nicely hooked in the corner of the mouth with one of my custom made jig heads.
Turns out it was big enough to be a derby contender for now anyways.
I hope he holds on to the lead for the rest of the month. He was so excited.

KasilofChrisN

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2016, 11:46 PM »
So what do I like about the Salmon Bear?
Well the spring loaded mechanism doesn't use the bend in your rod blank to set the hook.
It has a mousetrap type mechanism that lifts the rod holder tube when tripped so it is more like a natural hookset.
Set up is quicker and easier than the Jawjacker or Arctic fishermen and yes I do own and have used both of those.
It is certainly more durable than similar products.
While not as compact as the Jawjacker when folded up it isn't seriously bulky. Also can be used as a good all around rod holder when desired.
It has a flat wire spring to securely hold rods of different butt diameters in the rod tube.
The base is solid And I do not fear it breaking or losing a rod and needs no snow/slush to secure it as with the wire rod holders.
The plastic is solid and feels much more robust than other brands.
I would highly recommend this product and will use it instead of my others from now on.
KasilofChrisN

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2016, 12:41 AM »
Congrats to Shade with that nice bow and to you for grabbing it just in time.      :thumbsup: :clap:

Very nice review on the Salmon Bear.     ;)2

Great photos too.      :bow:

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2016, 09:32 AM »
When making mine I used a rat trap... Plenty of hook setting power  ;)

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2016, 12:09 PM »
Congrats to Shade with that nice bow and to you for grabbing it just in time.      :thumbsup: :clap:

Very nice review on the Salmon Bear.     ;)2

Great photos too.      :bow:

Shades mom adopted him a few years back.
His mom used to run a daycare and Shades dad dropped him off one day and has never come back(he was in jail for some time that we know of).
His biological mom apparently doesn't want him either.
Whenever he is around us he is a pretty good kid. His brother isn't into fishing but Shade enjoys it.
His mom just did not want him stuck in the foster care system so she adopted him.
Getting him out fishing is something his single mother cannot afford right now and does not have the equipment for.
She is just finishing up a teaching degree and will graduate this spring.
So him catching this big fish was just icing on the cake for a wonderful valentines day!
His mom also caught a couple of fish and seemed to have a good time as well.
KasilofChrisN

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2016, 12:23 PM »
Good for you(s) for becoming another stabilizing factor in Shade's life.        :bow:

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2016, 01:19 PM »
Good for you(s) for becoming another stabilizing factor in Shade's life.        :bow:
He loves to come over and make fishing jigs with me.
It's a lot of fun for him but sometimes I just run out of jigs for him to paint.
He's not up to the level of painting stuff for my customers so I usually let him powder paint a few small things or make a few spinners for his own tackle box.
My 15year old stepson just isn't into fishing like I would have hoped and icefishing isn't really his thing. But hey if Shade can go why not take him right?
KasilofChrisN

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2016, 02:19 PM »
Yup, just right.      ;)2

Good on ya for posting this up on the 'general' thread for all to see.      :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.