The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Got my first wisconsin trip planned!  (Read 1265 times)

Offline pokin holes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Its gonna be a good day tater!"-Ron White
Got my first wisconsin trip planned!
« on: Jan 21, 2016, 07:35 PM »
Hey guys I've got my first tripped planned! We are headed up to Chetek lakes for 4 days the first week of February. One of my first questions is I want to bring my atv. Will I catch any grief from the conservation officers if its not registered in Wisconsin? Second question is hows the fishin at Chetek lakes??? Just kinda throwin this trip together any help would GREATLY appreciated!!

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Got my first wisconsin trip planned!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2016, 08:24 AM »
Mornin poking holes,  Prior to moving to Alaska 4 years ago, I use to live about 30 minutes east of Chetek and fished the chain summer and winter for 20+ years.  To my knowledge, if you are a resident of Wisconsin and taking your wheeler on public property, this includes any body of water not listed as private, the law states it has to be registered and displaying your issued decal.  As a non resident I believe your good to go. But, certainly do as much research as you can prior to going.  I'll contact a buddy of mine who lives on the lake to verify and get back to you.  As for the catch, you can pretty much catch crappie, perch and blue gill any where on the chain, it can be that good.  I'll check some areas that my pal is fishing and get that info for you as well.  Where are you coming from by the way?

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2016, 09:54 AM »
Pokin Holes - welcome up to the Chetek Chain! I'm sure you will have a good visit. First of all, your ATV must display a non-resident ATV trail pass (sticker) to be on public land or water. As far as fishing goes, CharlieBrn is right, good panfishing all over the chain. You might have to move around a little to find them and there is usually a distinct morning and afternoon bite. Perch tend to be on the small side. I tend to catch pretty nice crappie with a few nice gills mixed in.  People tip-up for walleye and northern a lot too. You might need to ask around a little to get on a spot. Post more questions if you need info.

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2016, 10:06 AM »
That makes sense Thorney.  I knew there had to be a method for stickering the non resident atv's but just wasn't quite sure.  Spent a lot of hours up on the north end of Prairie by the Wolfs Den as well as down by the bridge at Pokegema.  I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss my pan fishing and hoping one day to get back at hit it one  more time.

Offline pokin holes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Its gonna be a good day tater!"-Ron White
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2016, 02:53 PM »
thanks guys I will look on the dnr web site about that atv permit maybe that will shed some light! last question for now.. me and my buddy will be lookin for a cold beer and a good sandwich we we roll into town any suggestions??!!  oh and I live 35 miles due east of Indianapolis!

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2016, 03:09 PM »
Pokin - you pretty much have to start with Gilligans. They are about a mile east of town on county road D. They are right on the lake, on the channel between Lake Chetek and Lake Pokegama. Good food, pretty fun place. Gotta try the gourmet cheese curds! :thumbsup: Across the bridge is The Pokegama Inn. More of a sit down dinner place, they get hit or miss reviews.
(FYI, Gilligans has a webcam, if you check out the website)

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:18 AM »
I second Gilligan's.  Great place to eat and plenty of spirits!  Enjoy!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2016, 07:42 PM »
Even as a WI. resident this is the first year residents even need to buy a trail pass for snowmobiles. $30 for resident snowmobile. Not sure about atv's if residents also need a atv trail pass.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2016, 07:44 PM »
I also got checked today by DNR conservation officers on the lake with snowmoiles for my fishing license. First time in quite a while I have been checked. Best to stay legal.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.