Author Topic: Cold Snap Auger Blade Protector/Cover  (Read 9394 times)

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
Cold Snap Auger Blade Protector/Cover
« on: Jan 20, 2016, 05:30 AM »
Every season I hear of someone slicing equipment, clothing or fingers in dealing with the auger blade covers/protectors.  The plastic yellow cover that came with my 6" Nils Convertible Auger was junk. I no longer wanted to deal with the possibility of injury to any of my digits, let alone gear, clothing and equipment. 

I purchased a Cold Snap Auger Cover the other day.

Great Idea and a huge improvement on ease of usage & safety.

Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cold Snap Auger Blade Protector/Cover
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2016, 02:47 PM »
I purchased one for my 9" jiffy auger just before Christmas, and I have used it for 4-5 trips out on the ice, and I am not happy with it. It seems like it's more of a hassle than the original jiffy cover with the bungee. The Cold Snap cover seems like it will snap on one side, but not the other, or it won't snap on either. I've called into their customer service and they tried giving me tips and it still is a P.I.T.A. I think I'm going back to my old cover and will try selling the Cold Snap cover! Great idea, if only it worked as good as they claim!

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2016, 04:28 PM »
 i agree.  $30 for some cheap plastic and an elastic band.  great idea though and hopefully someone improves on it.

Offline burck17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2016, 05:13 PM »
Me nor my buddies use the covers. This may be a dumb question, but wats the purpose of them? To protect blades from damage?
When I first ice fished I rented an auger from our on base outdoor rec.. The auger was broken and the engine would rev up but the bit would barely spin at all, until and onld man came and saved our day. He had a long PVC pipe his auger fit into with a cap on one end and 2 holes on the other and a bungee cord that wrapped through the handle and onto the pipe through those hes he drilled. So the cover was about as long as the auger bit... It would probably be cheap and easy to make

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2016, 06:34 PM »
Me nor my buddies use the covers. This may be a dumb question, but wats the purpose of them? To protect blades from damage?
When I first ice fished I rented an auger from our on base outdoor rec.. The auger was broken and the engine would rev up but the bit would barely spin at all, until and onld man came and saved our day. He had a long PVC pipe his auger fit into with a cap on one end and 2 holes on the other and a bungee cord that wrapped through the handle and onto the pipe through those hes he drilled. So the cover was about as long as the auger bit... It would probably be cheap and easy to make
They are provided to protect the blades as well as your fingers,bibs and shelter fabric. You're flirting with disaster going without one. I also own a 6" Nils and just on Friday bought the Cold Snap cover. Very nice!
Fish on!

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2016, 03:17 PM »
I have had one on my 8" Nils for a couple seasons and love it.     

Offline burck17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2016, 07:15 PM »
They are provided to protect the blades as well as your fingers,bibs and shelter fabric. You're flirting with disaster going without one. I also own a 6" Nils and just on Friday bought the Cold Snap cover. Very nice!

I'll be ordering some large pvc to put in my holes for a permy I'm going to build. Maybe I'll make one like I described then. I did tear the bag for my shack already with my auger a little so  it might be a good investment

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2016, 07:56 PM »
I have one for my lazer pro and I love it! I just need to find one that will fit my chipper mag.
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2016, 05:29 AM »
Been on the ice 3x.  It's working great. Good investment IMHO
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2016, 11:24 PM »
I like mine too.  Have used it for two years and I like being able to pop it back on hands free.
HAS ANYONE HAD TO REPLACE THE WIDE RUBBER BAND?  AS I WAS THINKING OF ORDERING A SPARE OR LOOKING FOR ONE AT THE HARDWARE STORE. 

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2016, 11:36 PM »
FYI, the 8" jiffy cover has to be modified to fit on old school blades.  This depends on the head being flat or cone shaped.

This came right from Cold Snap last year.  They only have one style of 8" Jiffy covers.  Fits one great, the other not at all without modification.

Offline MNice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2016, 06:54 AM »
Magnets from a computer hard drive.  Mount them on the inside of your existing cover with small screws & nuts, so they line up with the blades without damaging the edge.   throw away the bungee cord.  the magnets hold STRONG, hook the cover on your boot to pull the auger out.  Wa-laa!!

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2016, 03:52 PM »
How do you modify for the old style blades?

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2016, 11:23 PM »
I'll have to take a picture , kinda of hard to describe.

Offline yoopermjm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2016, 10:35 PM »
I'd appreciate that picture. I just got my 6inch Nils, and if rumor has it, the cover is pretty bad, but can be fixed with rare earth magnets that are countersunk. I ordered some and am planning to use them to fix my cover if the Nils cover is as bad as they say...

Offline mikey ice fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2016, 09:24 AM »
When you slice yourself open or spend a couple hundred on blades you might start using them. wow?

Offline 46r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2016, 05:29 PM »
Thanks for posting this.  I was fighting my Nils cover yesterday wishing I had something better.

I bet a velcro strip could be used to replace the wide rubber band if needed.  I now use velcro strips for my spools, even keeps the hook out of the line.

Offline yoopermjm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2016, 07:31 PM »
I have the cold snap for my nils 6inch. I'm not crazy about it, it seems kind of loose to me, it wobbles around. I was going to use the rare earth magnets idea, but the main nils sharpening guru, sharpnils, says that the rare earth mags will hurt the blade, which I am told is as fragile as eggs. It's a great auger, but it seems a pain to have to treat it like a baby all the time, don't dare drop in on the ice, bring it in every time you use it and and dry it off and oil it etc.... It is a great auger, just wish it wasn't such a baby.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 13, 2016, 08:24 PM »
I got a cold snap cover last year for my Strikemaster lazer mag. Works great. Bonus, It fits my Nils 8 inch. Yes it's loose but beats the original all day.

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2017, 06:49 PM »
Will this cover also work with a hand powered auger? I have a 7" strike master lazer.

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2017, 12:41 PM »
I called Cold Snap and found out that their Strikemaster cover will work on my auger with the triangular lazer blades..  The covers will not work with the "rectangular" Mora style blades.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 11, 2017, 07:53 PM »
Pulled out some gear today and managed to break my crappy cover on my 6" Nils. Whats some long term reviews on the Cold Snap? Or where can I find a better replacement that isnt so small, I need to find something to cover the blades.

Offline sodakdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 11, 2017, 09:08 PM »
I saw these at the show this weekend, and to me it looked to be way more trouble that it was worth. Their rep was showing how it worked with a kdrill and it took him four tries to get it to snap on right. If he had that much trouble with it indoors, with no gear on, on flat and even ground... I can see it being the first thing to go flying across the lake.

That said, your experience could be totally different.

Chute82

« Reply #23 on: Nov 11, 2017, 11:07 PM »
I have a cold snap on auger cover for my nils. Pops on and off with ease..

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 12, 2017, 06:04 AM »
2x Chute82

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 18, 2017, 06:39 PM »
I have a cold snap on auger cover for my nils. Pops on and off with ease..

Me, too.  Works great for my 8".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.