Author Topic: Keeley lake  (Read 7711 times)

Offline Almah

• IceShanty Rookie
Keeley lake
« on: Jan 18, 2016, 06:49 AM »
Does anyone know the conditions at Keeley Lake?

I am heading up there this weekend,  are they biting?

I go there every summer and it's unreal for walleye/pike anytime during the summer!

:tipup:

Offline Judes83

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Keeley lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2016, 07:39 AM »
A guy I work with was up there this weekend, travelling back today.  I'll let you know how did when I talk to him tommorow. 

Offline Almah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2016, 08:25 AM »
is Fern lake accessible/fishable during the winter? its just south of Keeley lake and I heard there are some nice brown trout in there!

Offline Judes83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2016, 07:10 AM »
Not sure about Browns but I know there is Splake on there.

Offline Judes83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2016, 12:17 PM »
So the guy I work with that fishes Keeley pretty regular said they did pretty good this past weekend.  But it was damn cold -42 or something up there.  They got quite a few big jacks and got into some walleye but not as many as they did earlier in mid December.

Offline Judes83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2016, 12:18 PM »
18 lb jack was the biggest but he said 8-10 lb jacks were a dime a dozen.

Offline Almah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2016, 12:29 PM »
awesome! thanks for the update... not many walleye?

Offline Judes83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2016, 06:43 PM »
By not many I meant a days limit but over the course of a couple hours.  Typically at Keeley when the bites on you can limit out faster than it takes to set up your spot. 

Offline Timetofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2016, 08:02 AM »
Can you get around on the Keeley lake with a truck(4x4) or do you need a sled?

Offline Almah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2016, 09:24 AM »
i called the camp yesterday and they said that people are driving on with trucks everywhere , i am going there this weekend i will let you know how it goes!

Offline Judes83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2016, 02:03 PM »
Guys are getting around in two wheel drive no problem.

Offline Almah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2016, 01:56 AM »
Keeley Lake never fails, lots of +15lbs pike and even walleye on tip ups.

Biggest 22lbs.

https://youtu.be/yOi9YWwd2CM

Offline Judes83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2016, 12:38 AM »
Keeley truly is an amazing lake.  It's too bad Canoe lake was mistreated the way it was.  It used to be dynamite when I was a kid. 

Offline Tguns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2016, 04:14 PM »
unfortunately keeley is on its way, used to be way better.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2016, 06:49 PM »
Keeley will be just like canoe in the next few years.  The amount of walleye kept here may through October is ridiculous. There is no way a lake that size can sustain that for long.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2016, 07:31 AM »
Keeley will be just like canoe in the next few years.  The amount of walleye kept here may through October is ridiculous. There is no way a lake that size can sustain that for long.

I've seen first hand of people keeping as many huge breeding walleye and pike as they could within the regulations.  It was sickening.  IMO, it is just wrong to take out several 5+ pound walleye and several 12-15+ pound breeders within a big group.  MeadowPikeman, unfortunately, I think you are correct.  I would hope that SE officials would protect lakes in our province better.  Like have no walleye over 55cm and pike over 75cm allowed to be taken out. 
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline hunter651

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2016, 09:59 AM »
I agree everyone one goes there to fill there livewells, sad the amount of big Walter that get pulled out there and kept, I go there prob 6-7 times a year and never kept one over 3 lbs, the worst part is 90% of them are red plates, they drive from AB to keep there "limit" cuz they can't keep nothing in there Provence, I was talking to some guys from calgary, they come up here and take as much "meat" home as they can

Offline Almah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2016, 11:51 AM »
Keeley Lake was just netted last week, i am sure that doesn't help the population growth!

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2016, 12:13 PM »
Keeley Lake was just netted last week, i am sure that doesn't help the population growth!

From the mouth of someone I know who has been a regular there for almost 20 years, "slob fisherman do WAY MORE DAMAGE to the fish population than any netting."

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2016, 06:06 PM »
The netting is a drop in a bucket they only get 5 days and the walleye quota was 3500 kilo. I guarantee 3500 kilos is less that what gets kept over the course of a week in June. I have seen guys cull fish until they have all fish just under 55cm. It's pretty sickening. I would be Shocked if the walleye population doesn't collapse in the next 3 or 4 years.

Offline Judes83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2016, 09:29 PM »
I'm not sure what the SERM presence is like at Keeley anymore, been years since I fished there.  But man I wish they'd hammer guys for over #'s and over legnth.  Make the fine tangible so that people would think twice about going over the limits or lengths.  Legnth fine should be based on a sliding scale for cm's over. 

As a guy who grew up in Dorintosh Sk who now resides in "The Red province" not by choice but because of work I don't get the hate for all Alberta anglers.  Unethical anglers live on both sides of the border, don't kid yourself. 

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2016, 09:47 PM »
I'm not sure what the SERM presence is like at Keeley anymore, been years since I fished there.  But man I wish they'd hammer guys for over #'s and over legnth.  Make the fine tangible so that people would think twice about going over the limits or lengths.  Legnth fine should be based on a sliding scale for cm's over. 

As a guy who grew up in Dorintosh Sk who now resides in "The Red province" not by choice but because of work I don't get the hate for all Alberta anglers.  Unethical anglers live on both sides of the border, don't kid yourself.

Good points! 

Offline Fluxcore

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 28, 2016, 07:02 AM »
Keeley lake is being destroyed by red plates. The resort is the killer. If there wasnt a bar and all the creature comforts of home then it wouldnt get as much pressure. The road in there is a dam boat parade all summer

Offline RivecourseRR1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 28, 2016, 06:35 PM »
Keeley lake is being destroyed by red plates. The resort is the killer. If there wasnt a bar and all the creature comforts of home then it wouldnt get as much pressure. The road in there is a dam boat parade all summer

Just got back from Keeley.  Half of us were from Alberta the other half from Saskatchewan. The only 2 trucks that took fish home was the ones from Saskatchewan.  The "red" plate guys released everything.  Imagine that. 

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2016, 07:38 PM »
Try going in the summer. 75 percent red plates. And yes lots of Sask plates keep Trophy pike and walleye as well. I have no problem with people keeping fish but walleye over 4 lbs are not the greatest eating fish and there are lots of good sized eaters no need to keep them.

Offline Almah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 28, 2016, 09:24 PM »
We didn't keep much, only for fish fry on the ice.

However we noticed alot of warms on the skin.  Anyone knows why are there soo many Worms on the fish up there?  Is that a seasonal thing? Last summer the fish seemed worm free from what I recall.

Offline jackslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2016, 09:17 AM »
Hey Judes83 can you elaborate on the 'mistreatment' of Canoe.  I have been going there since I was a kid.  Been to Keeley a few times but don't set foot there now because there are so many people.  It is like a resort.  At Canoe we camp in the huge campground mostly by ourself.

The fishing may have slowed a bit over the years at Canoe but we still know how to find them there.  I think part of the problem was the amount of fish taken out of there years ago.  When we stayed at Harold's West resort I can remember him having to empty the fish guts with his loader 2 times a day.  Back then everybody had to take home their limit.  It is the old timer mentality that you have to fill the freezer for the winter.  My dad is the same way today.  I have tried for years to change his way of thought but he still thinks it would a less successful trip if he did not take home his limit.  Can't see the pickeral limit ever going back to 3 there. 
'
Last time I was at Keeley was 7 years ago and one of the guys I was with in the other boat caught a nice 14 lb jack and i was so ticked when he brought it up to the filleting shack.  I thought he just took a pic and let it go.  I have no idea why someone would want to keep a fish like that.

Offline Rosco39

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2016, 12:46 PM »
I know this is a Keeley post but Jackslayer you ask the mistreatment of Canoe dates back to the late nineties early 2000's when a man from Beauval was charge with illegally netting fish out of Jan's Bay. The First Nations are not even aloud to fish in Jan's bay it's closed to EVERYONE. This guy did it for approximately 8 yrs but instead of arresting him and charging him immediately the conservation officers watched him for a couple more years. They wanted to catch the end buyers(which in a way I don't blame them) but this really hurt the lake tremendously. That guy hit the spawning beds hard and it was estimated over $1million worth of fish were illegally stolen from that lake. Which hurt the sports anglers and hurt the First Nations that netted the lake to live. So hopefully the limit does stay at 1, so the lake can heal.

Let's all just hope that times are changing and people start to respect the land, water and people. ( don't see it though).  I hope our government can step up and protect our resources that we are so lucky to have in Saskatchewan. Keeley Lake is a phenom that keeps producing but it can and probably will be a lasting memory that we will tell our kids about one day. But maybe we can all change that if everyone thinks about the next guy or our kids. Nothing wrong with eating fish at all just be selective on the ones we do keep. Let the spawners go back.

Keep your lines tight, cheers to a good finish to the season

Offline Rosco39

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 29, 2016, 12:48 PM »
To add the guy from Beauval lost his commercial fishing license for only one year and I believe only a $3000 or $5000 fine. No comparison to the amount he made.

Offline Judes83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 29, 2016, 06:00 PM »
I remember watching the news and hearing about a guy selling fish illegally to buyers in Edmonton I believe.  I seem to remember them talking about those freezer style trucks/vans stuffed full of pickeral going for sale. I don't doubt that at Canoe you can still hook into nice fish but that lake was soooo bountiful.  Went there one time with my dad, brother and some of dads work buddies when the limit was 5.  We caught 35 nice pickeral in probably less than 10 minutes.  It was the fastest/most furious heavy walleye bite I've ever seen.  We kept about 10 or something I think because it was taking longer to clean the fish than it did to drive there.  My dad said when he would go there as a kid in the fifties and sixties during the spawn in the river shallows the water would be churning there were so many fish.  Just sad really that it's down to 1 fish but they needed drastic measures I guess.  Agree with the old timer mentality though.  Now when I take my son I rarely even fish, just enjoy getting him set up and talking with him.  He's 7 now and seems to have inherited my good luck when fishing. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.