New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Looking for Pike/ Tigers !  (Read 4480 times)

Offline FROZEN SHINER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Looking for Pike/ Tigers !
« on: Jan 17, 2016, 07:53 PM »
I know there is probably a few topics on this , Looking for a place hard to get to or even easy away from crowds . Im looking to get some good footage above and below the ice catching the toothies !  Any places you would like to give up or pm me that would be great . Also looking for a contact for big bait out that way ... Thank you all  ;)
Keep busting those holes and re-baiting those Indian Hill's

Offline Creighster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Looking for Pike/ Tigers !
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2016, 03:43 PM »
The Adirondack region is loaded with pike lakes that get little to no fishing pressure, 90% of the time you'll have the whole pike lake to yourself up there. Here in Western NY your best bet would be the Allegheny Reservoir. Parts of it can get a little crowded but if your willing to walk you can get away from everybody and not see or hear another person, need an Indian reservation license to fish the NY side though, that reservoir has some monster pike and tigers. In all honesty though your best bet might be the tug hill region. I'm not too familiar with that part of the state so I can't give you specific lakes but from what I have heard there are a lot of very productive Pike and Tiger lakes in that region with little to no pressure as well; with that said most of the tug hill region of the state is also a lake effect blizzard all winter which is the main reason why nobody lives/travels there during the ice season.

Offline Creighster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2016, 03:54 PM »
There is also Great Sacandaga Lake, never been there but I've heard an awful lot about it for pike and IK it holds the US record. Its not too far from MA either, again I'm sure spots are crowed but its a big enough reservoir where there should be plenty of room to spread out.

Offline FROZEN SHINER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2016, 08:09 PM »
Thank you for the info
Keep busting those holes and re-baiting those Indian Hill's

Offline ice master 19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2016, 09:03 PM »
Lake Bonaparte has nice sized pike but can be hard to find.  Gets fished hard.   Took my girlfriend out this weekend and caught around 20 15-24" pike.  The majority of Adirondack lakes will have pike just need to find ones that create the good sized fish. 

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2016, 09:08 PM »
I think it's a myth that the US record came from sacandaga. Read somewhere it is a cover up

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2016, 09:50 PM »
the record pike from great sac res--is no myth--it is well documented with lots of witnesses and photos and cert weight---it was a very big pike--nobody will prob ever beat this fish in ny waters again

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:57 AM »
just saying. I read this year that they may have said GS just to deter people from fishing whatever local close by water it was. I honestly don't know nor do I care. it is nice to think is came out of GS being its close and local

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2016, 04:54 PM »
just saying. I read this year that they may have said GS just to deter people from fishing whatever local close by water it was. I honestly don't know nor do I care. it is nice to think is came out of GS being its close and local
anything is possible. I know for sure more then one state record wasn't taken where they claimed it was. One of which I witnessed first hand being it was off my boat. Wouldn't blame the guy if he caught it on a smaller water body that he didn't want to get over fished

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2016, 06:54 PM »
Did you guys see the results from last year's GSLFF tournament? Those results alone say what caliber of fish are in there. Just because you don't see big fish caught online, doesn't mean people aren't catching them ;)
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline Creighster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2016, 09:46 PM »
anything is possible. I know for sure more then one state record wasn't taken where they claimed it was. One of which I witnessed first hand being it was off my boat. Wouldn't blame the guy if he caught it on a smaller water body that he didn't want to get over fished

I can also attest that not every state record is from the water that is listed, and I'm talking about a fish that was caught on hard water. I tend to wonder if any of the "state record" locations are 100% honest.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2016, 04:53 AM »

Talk to the workers at the Conklynville Dam on the GS, there was a diver inspecting the dam and he thought a
         suspended log bumped in to him but it turned out to be a Pike. That's the story I was told! ::)

IW

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2016, 07:52 AM »
hahaha I heard that too, but like you said WANDERER, its a story in my opinion. I snorkel in a lake full of pike, and my family scuba dives, and they have yet to see a pike for an extended period of time. I literally have never seen one underwater snorkeling, and they say the same thing. for being somewhat of an apex predator in fresh water, they are a really skittish and spooked fish

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2016, 07:54 AM »
basically I think that story of big pike bumping into divers is false. just like fishermen, stories tend to grow and grow.  :whistle:

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2016, 08:03 AM »
Skittish? They come right up to cameras and lures and even seimmers to investigate. I've watched a girl get bit by a decent size tiger muskey. Hybrid offspring of a pike.  There are always the ballsy ones in every breed..

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2016, 08:59 AM »
Members on here have taken some EPIC, GIANT pike out of the GSL in the last few years, I have every reason to believe that back when the reservoir was at its peak boom period it could have produced a 46lb fish.

Frozen Shiner: GSL, Tupper, Schroon, Paradox, George all produce big pike.   

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2016, 10:34 AM »
im just saying form my experience and others I have talked to, that I have never seen a pike snorkeling. I believe the record came out of GS as well, im just relaying what I have heard as recent as like a few weeks ago. and wasn't it 56lbs? not 46

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2016, 11:09 AM »
im just saying form my experience and others I have talked to, that I have never seen a pike snorkeling. I believe the record came out of GS as well, im just relaying what I have heard as recent as like a few weeks ago. and wasn't it 56lbs? not 46

Northern Pike    46 lb. 2 oz.    n/a    Peter Dubuc    Heddon Flaptail    Great Sacandaga Lake, Fulton Co.    9/15/40

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7935.html

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2016, 03:04 PM »
my apologies.

Offline Goinfission

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I don't need no stinkin fish finder...
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2016, 04:31 PM »
Peter Dubuc was well known in the area for catching  large pike.  My "uncle" ( starting me fishing when I was young) has a 40" pike caught from GS on his wall and got tips from  Peter Dubuc as to where/how to fish for monster pike. No doubt in my mind, the record stands..

Offline Goinfission

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I don't need no stinkin fish finder...
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2016, 04:52 PM »
Has anyone tried Lincoln Pond for muskies lately?? Take Jr up there to camp every summer and I know they have muskies ( and some pretty big bass, too!!)

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2016, 05:54 PM »
Ive heard the "scuba diving" story the same one actually, and it has happened on several lakes "supposedly" I think its a complete BS story..

Ive also heard the many stories of fish in the record books not actually being caught where they were reported caught..With Brook Trout it happens every time the record is broke, I think its all BS, basically because the state puts specific strains in certain waters and they examine every record, and can tell them apart..Its just a thing fisherman do, create a little conspiracy... Dont get me wrong its funny.. But a fishermans heart is always looking for someone to play the fool...

All that said, Its pretty much common knowledge GSAC kicks out giant Pike, The barge canal kicks out big pike, there are plenty of lakes with big pike in NY, its a great state to fish Pike in.. But with all those lakes that kick out BIG pike, There is just a small hand full that kick out GIANTS...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2016, 09:02 AM »
I have a camp on Lincoln and have fished it for over 30 years. they are very very few and far between and tough to catch. reason being is that when they stock the tigers, some die, and the rest get eaten by the pike and bass in the lake. there are some, but the odds are against ya.

hey DEAD, what do u mean by "kicks out"?

Offline RyanG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2016, 10:03 AM »
I know a few lakes here in wny with tigers. I doubt the ice is safe though..

Offline touge30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2016, 10:45 AM »
ice = big pike, hear of 20,s every year.When was the last time someone saw a 30.They gotta be out there.

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 21, 2016, 11:12 AM »
I think there were a few 30's last year out of GS. and a nice tiger out of Durant 2 weeks ago

Offline trapper1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 21, 2016, 03:37 PM »
What depth is best for fishing Pike? I know both live and dead bait work apparently. First time trying for the monsters.

Offline jhuge

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 21, 2016, 05:00 PM »
I only use dead bait and fish it on the bottom or just off. 

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 21, 2016, 06:28 PM »
What depth is best for fishing Pike? I know both live and dead bait work apparently. First time trying for the monsters.

I go 2 to 5 ft of bottom usually in less then 20 fow

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #29 on: Jan 21, 2016, 07:00 PM »
I have a camp on Lincoln and have fished it for over 30 years. they are very very few and far between and tough to catch. reason being is that when they stock the tigers, some die, and the rest get eaten by the pike and bass in the lake. there are some, but the odds are against ya.

hey DEAD, what do u mean by "kicks out"?
Are caught, produces etc etc...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.