Author Topic: Let's talk bait for gamefish - type and technique  (Read 2068 times)

Offline Eskimo6120

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAAG!
Let's talk bait for gamefish - type and technique
« on: Jan 17, 2016, 09:09 AM »
 personally, I've always been in favor of smelts through the back . With the option, its a go to for me. But recently there is limited places around that have smelts, so shiners it is. I've been catching fish, but i think its the reason why the fishing has been slow. Now, with finicky bait fish comes dieing bait. How do you hook? The traditional under the dorsal? Recently after fishing with a buddy, i saw he goes through the mouth, down through the jaw. So i began experimenting, with no real effect. If anything, had alot of bait missing going through the jaw, from the fish ripping it off i presume? Whats your go to? Any experience beyond mine?

Offline wreckitross

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Let's talk bait for gamefish - type and technique
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2016, 07:45 AM »
With shiners, I typically hook them just behind the dorsal, as close to the top of the back as possible. I find that the further back you hook them the more they are prone to swim up off the bottom, and on the contrary in front of the dorsal causes them to swim down. Granted shiners can wear themselves out if they are struggling too hard for too long, hence why just at the rear of the dorsal is my go to.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2016, 08:48 AM »
I stick the hook just in front of the dorsal fin. Hook point towards the head. Just barley under the skin. When you look at it from the side the hook eye will be towards the dorsal fin. Hook to the front of the fish. Since most fish bite head first. Hook ups are almost 100%
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2016, 10:47 AM »
i started using alabama goldens pert near 40 yrs ago big bait caught big fish but few and far between as time and experimentation proceeded i switched to what was easily available and the cheapest.small bait catches tons of fish a few big ones ta boot.from chubs to shinerz to fat heads to bugz yes bugz put a few maggots on a size 10 treble hook and stand up youll have no time to sit non stop action to be had and yes bass hit bugz as well as all pan fish.as where to hook minnies its always in the balance point on their backs yes sometimes they die but still look lie they are alive.
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.