The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Vexilar double vision  (Read 2943 times)

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Vexilar double vision
« on: Jan 16, 2016, 08:24 AM »
Does anyone locally (Montana) have any experience with these units. Would appreciate any input as I'm thinking about getting one.
The worse day fishing is still better than the best day working!

Offline fish to live

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Im on the ice right now, or wishing i was
Re: Vexilar double vision
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2016, 09:44 AM »
Simple and the best that's all u need to know
Every one can go fishing, " not every one can catch fish

Offline walleye736

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2016, 10:16 AM »
Won't fish without one.   Well worth the cost. 

Offline fishermanj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2016, 11:21 AM »
what would you like to know?  I started with the Fl-8 went to a Fl-18 now I fish the FLX-28.  they are worth their weight in gold!   There are other brands that do work, I do not believe hey work as well as a vexilar.  Vexilars are very accurate to the inch on where your bait is in the water column.  with my 28 I can actually see when I loose a wax worm or other bait.  they simply take out lots of guess work and help you catch fish! 

If you go to a local dealer, just sit and watch the FLX-28 demo mode, it will make perfect sense with in a few minutes.  It shows the jig being dropped down, there is a fish on bottom waiting, the jig is jigged a little, the fish raises off of bottom and boom!  In the freezer!!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2016, 11:27 AM »
some info on them. didn't check state to see if its from your state. might be, but it's info
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=242467.0

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2016, 12:23 PM »
Ask away gadget man:)

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2016, 07:04 AM »
First of all I have owned a FL 20 for many years and understand the value of a good flasher. What I've come to realize this year is that a camera can be truly useful under certain circumstances. I've done a lot of research and found that there's probably no camera that will work in every situation 100% of the time. That is why I'm considering the Double Vision pack at this point as I already own the FL 20 and can just add it to the pack. What I wanted to know from someone who actually owns one is would they do it any differently now ? They say they will still fit in a five gallon bucket.  Is that indeed the truth ?  Most of the time I'm lugging all my gear onto the ice with a four wheeler so weight is no problem at that point but I do a lot of hole hopping and was wondering if they are workable or just cumbersome. Thanks for your input.

Offline Jdoub

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2016, 08:37 PM »
First of all I have owned a FL 20 for many years and understand the value of a good flasher. What I've come to realize this year is that a camera can be truly useful under certain circumstances. I've done a lot of research and found that there's probably no camera that will work in every situation 100% of the time. That is why I'm considering the Double Vision pack at this point as I already own the FL 20 and can just add it to the pack. What I wanted to know from someone who actually owns one is would they do it any differently now ? They say they will still fit in a five gallon bucket.  Is that indeed the truth ?  Most of the time I'm lugging all my gear onto the ice with a four wheeler so weight is no problem at that point but I do a lot of hole hopping and was wondering if they are workable or just cumbersome. Thanks for your input.

I bought a double vision at Christmas time. We have used it several times since. Love, love it. We are playing with the camera more and more. Last time, my son watched a perch come in on the jig. He got to see what action worked and what didn't. He said it was a thrill to get it to bite and catch it.
Definitely happy with the purchase!

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2016, 07:21 AM »
Finally...someone who actually has one !!! Thanks for the reply. I have a few more questions for you though. How is it for hole hopping ? Is the camera screen easily viewable outside the shack ? How deep have you used it ? Will it still fit in a five gallon bucket ? How is the battery life ? Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thanks  :)

Offline Jdoub

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2016, 07:19 AM »
Finally...someone who actually has one !!! Thanks for the reply. I have a few more questions for you though. How is it for hole hopping ? Is the camera screen easily viewable outside the shack ? How deep have you used it ? Will it still fit in a five gallon bucket ? How is the battery life ? Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thanks  :)

Hole hopping- works great for us. We work in tandem. One popping holes and one reading and sending down a jig to tease off the bottom. The unit weighs around 20-25 pounds but the case has a handle at the top and is easily carried. I would guess it would fit into a five gallon bucket. But, I don't personally see the need.

Camera viewing- Monday it was so nice we didn't set up the shack. It was also cloudy. The device senses light levels and goes to b/w in low light conditions. At least in these settings, it wasn't hard to see outside. The display pulls out from the pack and tilts so you can adjust it to what works best. That being said, we both agreed it views better in the shack.
Deepest level- we were marking water that required us to use the 80' setting. Our iceducer has three angle settings so still learning which works best where.
Battery life- it's ok. Had a full charge and got 6 hours of use out of it. We ran camera for maybe an hour of that. Vexilar doesn't like you to run the battery to 0% or it can lose its memory. So, as soon as we saw the low battery signal come in, we shut it down. Batteries only cost $35. I am considering getting a second/back up to take on trips.
I am admittedly still very much a rookie with this device. But, it is easy to use and really adds value to the whole experience.

Offline MT JigMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2016, 07:29 PM »
This is my second season with the double vision.  Battery life was a big concern for me but I now believe I could go at least 6-8 hours with both camera and flasher on.  I have fished for five hours with both on and the camera battery display is quick to reach the low battery mark but will still run for hours.  I use mine in 30 fow and have a good picture with the camera 3 feet away from my jig.  I have not used my camera in shallow water so I can't comment on the color side of the camera although as I lower it you can see it switch from color to black and white.  This will fit in a five gallon bucket and I usually set mine on a bucket while I am fishing so the battery is not on the ice getting cold.  Hole hopping is no big deal but I usually don't put the camera down until I see fish on the flasher and catch a few.  There are outside mesh pockets that you can set the transducer and camera in while moving.  Overall I am super happy with mine and my son really likes the camera.  I use mine inside the shack but know that sunlight on any screen makes it harder to see.  There isn't a built in shade for it either.  Hope this helps!

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2016, 09:07 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate it.

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2016, 07:34 AM »
I recently purchased the Vexilar double vision pack and added my FL20 to it. I was able to get it at a reduced price since the season is about over. I've been out and used it a couple of times. There is a little bit of a learning curve with it but nothing to difficult. My experience so far has been quite good. The pack itself is very well designed and easy to use. The camera also seems to be of good quality. I used it until 5:30 pm the last time out and there was still enough light for it to remain in the color mode. I've been running the FL20 and the camera together and the battery meter still read 65% after 4 hours. Hope to get out a few more times before the ice is gone but I'm very pleased with it so far.  :)

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2016, 07:19 AM »
Hole hopping- works great for us. We work in tandem. One popping holes and one reading and sending down a jig to tease off the bottom. The unit weighs around 20-25 pounds but the case has a handle at the top and is easily carried. I would guess it would fit into a five gallon bucket. But, I don't personally see the need.

Camera viewing- Monday it was so nice we didn't set up the shack. It was also cloudy. The device senses light levels and goes to b/w in low light conditions. At least in these settings, it wasn't hard to see outside. The display pulls out from the pack and tilts so you can adjust it to what works best. That being said, we both agreed it views better in the shack.
Deepest level- we were marking water that required us to use the 80' setting. Our iceducer has three angle settings so still learning which works best where.
Battery life- it's ok. Had a full charge and got 6 hours of use out of it. We ran camera for maybe an hour of that. Vexilar doesn't like you to run the battery to 0% or it can lose its memory. So, as soon as we saw the low battery signal come in, we shut it down. Batteries only cost $35. I am considering getting a second/back up to take on trips.
I am admittedly still very much a rookie with this device. But, it is easy to use and really adds value to the whole experience.
    I actually weighed it....13.8 lbs.

Offline Jdoub

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2016, 09:51 PM »
    I actually weighed it....13.8 lbs.

Haha, wait til I tell you how big the fish, I caught, were.

Thanks for the actual weight. The unit's size has yet to be an issue for us.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.