Author Topic: Boots: what do you wear  (Read 1758 times)

Offline TightLine21

• IceShanty Rookie
Boots: what do you wear
« on: Jan 15, 2016, 08:15 PM »
I am looking at getting a pair of boot for my daughter mainly for ice fishing, especially this year with the slush on Cascade.  I have always been a fan of packs, my Sorels are about 15 years old and still kicking.  We were in a local store and they suggested  some 600g thinsulate hiking boots, partially because they didn't have packs for her in stock.  It did get me thinking that I have never really paid attention to what others are wearing.

What works for you?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Boots: what do you wear
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2016, 08:45 PM »
If your daughter is still growing, it may not be cost effective to invest in Cabela's Transalaska III, at a few hundred $.  But, no cold feet with those.

That's just what I wear, with #8 hex head sheet-metal screws in the sole-lugs for traction.     ;)2

Sorry I couldn't be more help, Sir.     :bow:

Offline elkhunter1834

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2016, 09:29 PM »
Both my boys ages 4 and 6 wear bogs, waterproof and rated at -30. They have never complained about cold or wet feet. Only cost 74 dollars but we'll worth the money so far.

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2016, 09:35 PM »
Muck Artic Extreme. Nothing better out there. Not sure they make them in kids sizes though.

Offline Teamroper3684

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2016, 10:18 PM »
I used to wear my hunting boots, well lot of wet feet, cold feet and complaining on my part.  I moved to wearing my 800gram duck hunting waders, this was nice for the fact dry feet my legs stayed dry when I was kneeling down, I could sit down on the ice I had no problems but they would get to hot and I'd get sweaty then get the chills.  This year my dad bought me a pair of kenetrek pac boots for hunting on horses and to have this winter.  I tried those out last weekend on the ice and my feet never got to cold they did get the chills but that was usual for me, I always get cold toes.  Only problem was my pants got soaked eventually from wearing my snowmobile pants and kneeling on the ice so gotta work that part out.  Kenetrek a are expensive though but having the removable wool liners was nice I could pull them out when we got back to the hotel and have dry boots the next morning. Better than putting half dry boots back on the next day

Offline bearlake16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2016, 10:24 PM »
Check out Baffin boots made in Canada have had great success with them and not made in china. Water proff and warm.

Offline Idajarhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2016, 11:05 PM »
Mickey Mouse boots
Call smith&edwards in ogden
They'll ship them right out
60 bucks brand new.

Offline rickgehrke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin lips
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2016, 11:08 PM »
White's makes a fantastic pair of boots.
Fish hard, or go home.

Offline FishingSpud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2016, 07:37 AM »
Cabelas's version of pack boots, look like Sorels, work for me. IMO, something warm AND waterproof is a must. Hope you find something that works for you.

Offline elkhunter1834

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2016, 08:43 AM »
I have kenetrek pac boots, I have tried other pack boots got wet feet. When super slushy I use my muck artic sport boots. That's what I have been using this year.

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2016, 01:19 PM »
Mickey Mouse boots
Call smith&edwards in ogden
They'll ship them right out
60 bucks brand new.
I have a pair of those too. Pretty good boots even when your feet get wet. :thumbsup:

Offline bowcarp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2016, 01:36 PM »
I've had good luck with the kamik boots  the icebreaker's are what I have now have worn for years , I want to try  icecrusher's they are rated for -58   ,  http://www.gearcor.com/ice-fishing-boots.asp  , I have worn out a few pair but I will wear them bow hunting , ice fishing what ever I'm doing out in the cold
governments should fear their citizens
“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”― Socrates
I miss North Dakota (least I did till the oil moved in )

Offline TightLine21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2016, 10:44 PM »
Thanks for all the input.   I found a pair of 800gram thinsulate gortex hunting boot for her, went up a size and put thick wool - felt liner in the bottom.  They were half the weight of a lot of the packs which will make it nice for walking.  Tried them out today at Poison Creek and they worked out great.  We will have to wait for colder temperatures to really put them to the test. 

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2016, 01:51 PM »
Check out Baffin boots made in Canada have had great success with them and not made in china. Water proff and warm.
Yep! We up here in the Great White North know a thing or 2 about the cold! :). Baffin Titans for me. Pos reviews elsewhere on this site---do a search and you'll see.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2016, 05:17 AM »
I wear Baffins and love them

Offline Pnig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2016, 03:16 AM »
I just recently bought a pair of Cabela's Trans-Alaska III pac boots for $100 dollars off. I don't know if they still have that deal going on but so far I love them.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2016, 03:49 AM »
I wear the white Mickey Mouse boots, very warm and waterproof.

Offline happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2016, 11:30 AM »

Offline tomertim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2016, 04:22 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.