The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: wax or maggot  (Read 3472 times)

Offline Tricros

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: wax or maggot
« Reply #30 on: Jan 24, 2016, 07:19 PM »
I have used both but always seem to have more luck with maggots.

Offline Crappie_Rod

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CRAP EYE
« Reply #31 on: Jan 24, 2016, 07:27 PM »
used both today. maggots were really small but they stay on for more than one fish

Offline Igasem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 24, 2016, 09:40 PM »
Maggots here. Definitely seem to stick to the jig a bit better and don't need replaced after every bump.  The longer waxies are out and about on the ice, the more fragile they seem to get.  Even when kept in a pocket or the cooler... Nothing like getting the gloves off, pulling out a fat waxie, poking him with a hook and watching all his insides fall out only to be left with a flapping waxie skin.  :-\

Offline Rambo93

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 25, 2016, 07:17 AM »
Never had much luck with waxies i prefer maggots

Offline fishfever12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 25, 2016, 08:20 AM »
I prefer maggots....the fish seem to prefer them....and if the perch or Gill bite slows I can use them to tip a jig and then fish for steelhead....

Offline luv2fishnepa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 25, 2016, 02:28 PM »
I use waxies; they seem to be the most available.  I use them on jigging rods and on tip-ups.

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 25, 2016, 02:36 PM »
This is interesting to read. I rarely see waxies up in ny. Only the good bait shops have them. Spikes are everywhere. I can get spikes at the gas station even
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline luv2fishnepa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 25, 2016, 02:44 PM »
  I like to rig my tip-ups with a small treble hook and medium shiner.  About 15" to 18" above the treble hook I'll tie on a small Hildebrandt flicker spinner using a palomar knot.  I'll dress the flicker spinner with a waxie or fathead.  The shiner does the "jigging" and I catch perch, gills, crappies, and bass, often on the top and bottom at the same time.  Unfortunately, pickerel like them too (and have even eaten both baits on occasion).   >:(
I often rig the jigging rod with two baits, using the treble, flicker spinner or a small jig below the flicker spinner, dressed with a fathead, or waxie.  The fish will let you know what's working best that day...
Good luck!

Offline fryguy75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:31 AM »
i prefer the waxworm.  simply seem to have more success with waxies over the years.
ice...ice...baby

Offline aaronae24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 26, 2016, 06:09 PM »
I prefer jig tipped with maggots for panfish.  Stay on great and can catch several fish without re-baiting.

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 27, 2016, 02:19 PM »
I used waxes for years, then I fished with some NY. guys that only use spikes and I tried some and now have made the switch to spikes only when I am fishing for pan fish. They last longer in the fridge and on the hook.

Offline fishinpreacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 27, 2016, 03:49 PM »
I prefer spikes.
But I always have some waxies too. This year I'm trying mousies for the first time as well.

Offline Scuba Steve

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Thats how I roll
« Reply #42 on: Jan 28, 2016, 09:29 AM »
I've always used waxies but after reading this post I think I'm gonna have to try maggots if they truly hold up better in cold weather

Offline pieplate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 28, 2016, 05:27 PM »
I love spikes, waxies, and mousies! Use all three all the time.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 29, 2016, 06:09 AM »
ILL ALLWAYS TRY TO HAVE BOTH..
I was on a NITE BITE for CALICO FRIDAY and they WOULDNT TOUCH A WAXIE,,,I PUT ON A SPIKE and BINGO....
IF ONE DONT WORK,,Try THE OTHER.....

I will add this..
I HAVE VERY LITTLE LUCK WITH GOLDENS...
THEY WORK WELL FOR TROUT FOR ME,BUT ON PANFISH,I ONLY HAVE LUCK IF THEY ARE VERY ACTIVE....

Offline icetrawler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing is Surreal!
« Reply #45 on: Jan 29, 2016, 09:28 AM »
I have had better success with Wax Worms more so than Maggots.  But Maggots are the best next thing to the Wax Worms. Wax worms present a a larger presentation and are more meatier. Usually only one wax or two at the most have given me the best results. I always make sure the hook is covered and I fish with a very small sharp egg hook.  When jigging through the ice I use very small jigging lures depending on the depth of the water.
"Are you fishing or are you going fishing?" :)

Offline Tyler2487

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 29, 2016, 09:46 PM »
Seem to have better luck with the spikes deff the go to bait when the bite gets tough and they'll only take those tiny baits.

Offline capaige

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 06, 2016, 08:25 PM »
I prefer wax worms for ice fishing.

Offline Struck95

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 07, 2016, 01:31 PM »
Depends where in the state I am. I tend to use maggots in Northwestern part of the state (Erie area). And use wax in Central PA areas.

Offline boatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 07, 2016, 08:12 PM »
I use both,Maggots where working today. 7" hole

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #50 on: Feb 07, 2016, 08:48 PM »
had geofish give us waxies, dominator caught bigger gills using them yesterday,but today they were just hanging on and set the hook into nothin lost waxies no fish
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Whoa black crappie bam da lam
« Reply #51 on: Feb 08, 2016, 11:03 AM »
As many maggots as you can put on a hook for panfish, two wax on buckshot spoon for walleyes...
Catch And Release  Pike And Muskie!!!

Offline HeclaHardWater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 08, 2016, 02:55 PM »
Whatever I can mooch off of my buddies! :o  just kidding, I usually use maggots

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #53 on: Feb 08, 2016, 03:14 PM »
Go with plastics, you'll never look back!!

Offline aj3j

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 09, 2016, 12:35 PM »
Maggots all day everyday, plastics are the worst. Can't tell you how many times I've either run out of maggots or forgot them and had to use plastics....I would watch the fish come up off the bottom to inspect my jig on the flasher and then turn away when he saw that the bait on my jig was fake. This would happen over and over.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #55 on: Feb 09, 2016, 02:35 PM »
Maggots all day everyday, plastics are the worst. Can't tell you how many times I've either run out of maggots or forgot them and had to use plastics....I would watch the fish come up off the bottom to inspect my jig on the flasher and then turn away when he saw that the bait on my jig was fake. This would happen over and over.
                       Confidence, grasshopper!!

Offline HUNTER/1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 10, 2016, 06:33 AM »
Wax after dark maggots all day long.

Offline keylight

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 11, 2016, 09:51 AM »
Wax worms and plastics are my favorite. Tried spikes the other week and had to use 2or 3 at a time, mouseys work well also I can never find them though

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 11, 2016, 10:11 AM »
1. Red Spikes
2. Wax Worms
3. Plastics - I'm trying to use them more and more, but still not 100% confident

Wax worms are by far easier to come by for me. But I love using spikes if they are available. But for some reason, nobody in town sells them. I have really tried to switch over to plastics this year, and have had some great success on a few occasions, but still hard for me to leave the house without live bait.

Offline Rock_County_Angler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Feb 11, 2016, 08:39 PM »
i tend to lean towards wax worms.  The generally bigger profile seems to draw the curiosity of aggressive fish, to which I think is simply due to the profile size of the bait and its newness in the water column. To combat the feeble tissues of the waxworm, I like to put a plastic teaser or gulp maggot last on the hook which (@least in my mind) secures the bait better.  In normal late season conditions or ultra cold/high pressure systems, a maggot may be better for super finicky fish as a finesse presentation.

Also, try not to forget the bait puck in your coat at the end of the season. You either end up with moths/flies or a very angry wife or I guess both.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.