Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake Macbride ice conditions and tips?  (Read 5649 times)

Offline Samuel_c

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Macbride ice conditions and tips?
« on: Jan 15, 2016, 10:08 AM »
I'm planning on going out Saturday afternoon to Lake Macbride and was hoping that someone may have some recent ice condition reports.  I was hearing that there was good fishable ice there earlier this week, but I wasn't sure how the warm weather yesterday has affected it.  If anyone also has advice about what tackle to use and areas go to I would also appreciate it.  I'm not looking for specifics, just somewhere to start.  I'll be bringing my Mom, so I was looking some places that would be an easier walk.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Carpie

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Macbride ice conditions and tips?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2016, 10:57 AM »
I'm planning on going out Saturday afternoon to Lake Macbride and was hoping that someone may have some recent ice condition reports.  I was hearing that there was good fishable ice there earlier this week, but I wasn't sure how the warm weather yesterday has affected it.  If anyone also has advice about what tackle to use and areas go to I would also appreciate it.  I'm not looking for specifics, just somewhere to start.  I'll be bringing my Mom, so I was looking some places that would be an easier walk.

Thanks in advance!

I personally haven't fished it yet this year, but I have seen people out every day this week on my way to work in the south arm. DNR is reporting 5-7" this week. You should be fine on Saturday.

The last several years we did really well for crappies and bluegills in the north arm. The best access for you and your mom will be the in the Macbride State Park boat ramp. There are some really nice drop offs there, and if you can find brush you will be on fish. I personally use tungsten jigs and maki plastics, but jig and waxies will do the trick. Use the link below to see the DNR's map of Lake Macbride

http://www.iowadnr.gov/idnr/Fishing/Where-to-Fish/Lakes-Ponds-Reservoirs/LakeDetails/lakeCode/MAC52

Offline Samuel_c

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2016, 03:25 PM »
Thanks Carpie!

I actually have a couple of the Maki plastics in my jig box.  I'll give them a try!

Offline Samuel_c

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2016, 12:23 PM »
Just an update.  Caught quite a few small bluegill and crappie Saturday afternoon.  Saw about 10-15 shelters out.  The ice was on average about 6-7 inches.

Offline Carpie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2016, 02:40 PM »
Just an update.  Caught quite a few small bluegill and crappie Saturday afternoon.  Saw about 10-15 shelters out.  The ice was on average about 6-7 inches.

Glad you got a few! Sometimes you have to do some sorting in that lake to get some decent panfish, but the crappie size has improved drastically the last few years. I'm hoping to get out on Macbride next weekend.

Offline Joe Wayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2016, 04:28 PM »
Glad you got a few! Sometimes you have to do some sorting in that lake to get some decent panfish, but the crappie size has improved drastically the last few years. I'm hoping to get out on Macbride next weekend.

I can confirm that crappie size improvement. Went out for most of the day today and had few over the 10" mark.
Bluegill were biting all day.
Joe Wayne | Ankeny, IA

Offline Carpie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2016, 06:43 PM »
I can confirm that crappie size improvement. Went out for most of the day today and had few over the 10" mark.
Bluegill were biting all day.

Seems like since the restoration project back in 2002 Macbride has started producing better panfish, especially crappie. I can remember the days when you couldn't hardly catch anything over 7" for crappie.

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2016, 09:31 PM »
Spent Saturday and Sunday at Macbride and did pretty well with gills and crappies.  Could not get a bite on maki's and only a few jig colors worked.  Did best with a fire tiger and a fire tiger pink with waxies.  Crappies were with gills, did not mark them higher like I have in the past.

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2016, 08:15 PM »
My wife and I tried here for our first time ever on the ice on Sat. Very slow, couple marks and one small gill to show for it. We didn't spend a lot of time moving around as we had to leave after about an hour.

Any tips? Sounds like others were doing better

Offline Joe Wayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2016, 09:09 PM »
My wife and I tried here for our first time ever on the ice on Sat. Very slow, couple marks and one small gill to show for it. We didn't spend a lot of time moving around as we had to leave after about an hour.

Any tips? Sounds like others were doing better

I would just say move around more until you find them.
Most, if not all of my fish over the last weekend were off the bottom. Wouldn't show on the flasher until you dropped a jig down and pulled them up.
Actively jigging also seemed to be the trick. Hardly anything hit my dead sticks.

Hope this helps.
Joe Wayne | Ankeny, IA

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2016, 06:18 AM »
Agree with others that a lot of the fish we caught did not show on the flasher until the jig hit the bottom, so if you are confident you are on structure, drop a jig down a few times and see what happens.  The fish were not chasing anything and preferred a more subtle approach.  I have been out there on really good days when they shoot up from the bottom once they see the jig.  This past weekend it was almost a dead stick / very light jigging that they responded to. 

I have tried a lot plastics (Maki, Shrimpo, Ratso) with limited success.  It seems waxies work best and some days the jig matters and others it doesn't.  This past weekend, we only caught fish on  fire tiger yellow and fire tiger pink styles.  I tried jigging spoons, white and pink, chartreuse and random others that have worked out there in the past, but barely a bite.  I have no idea why and have no secret jigs, but we all ended up fishing these and did well.

Offline Samuel_c

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2016, 07:21 AM »
I had the same thing happening with the flasher not showing fish until your jig was near the bottom.  I used a small 1/32 ounce jig with a small propeller on the front and it did well with a wax worm.  The fish seemed to go in waves.  I would catch 2-3 and then nothing. 15 minutes later I would start marking fish and catching a few for about 5 minutes.  They were all really light biters, almost to the point that if you were not staring at your rod tip you would miss the bite. 

Offline ice-aholic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2016, 08:32 AM »
Was just wondering if any area of the lake has been better than others not looking for specific spots just overall areas i don't have any real experience ice fishing this lake and I am trying to figure out where is a good place to start.  Thanks for any of your help!

Offline Samuel_c

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2016, 08:53 AM »
I've been told that the south arm of the lake is better than the north. That's just what A few people have told me, I've only fished it a few times.

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2016, 09:38 AM »
The lake renovation in the early 2000s set off a crappie boom on Macbride, but that ended around 2009. Fewer crappie, less size to them for the next few years after that.

Things are looking up again for crappie size and numbers on Macbride the last couple years, but I don't know that we'll ever see the crappie fishing of 2004-2009 again.

As for how to fish Macbride, cover and structure is key on that lake, as there is little weed growth. It is probably not the best lake to fish blind without a map or experience. If you are new to the lake and don't have any GPS points to work with, you'll probably need to drill a few holes, or work off old holes, until you find rocks or brush.

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2016, 10:26 PM »
I recommend parking at the handicap dock and walking out until lined up with the jetty that extends out.  There is an old road bed that runs to the east.  Usually lots of holes in the area, so check a few and try to mark fish.  From there, it depends how far you want to walk and how many holes you want to drill.  I have done well one day over structure and gotten skunked the next.  As others have stated, you have to move a lot to find the fish.

Offline PhishinFil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2016, 01:24 PM »
I went out Monday before the wet air came and nailed wipers!! Ice was good!

Offline kskoff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2016, 01:49 PM »
I was out Saturday early morning until about noon.  I caught a few crappie (6-10 inches) and a ton of bluegills (4-8 inches).  I was fishing over brush in 18-21 fow.  I was constantly marking fish and everything I caught came up to the top of the brush.

Offline Carpie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2016, 03:01 PM »
Was out Sunday from 7-9 am. Caught quite a few crappies, only 5 worth keeping. A few nice gills, lots of throwbacks. Was in south arm fishing 20 fow

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2016, 12:03 PM »
I was out Sunday morning and still plenty of ice.  Anyone been out this week who can provide an update on ice conditions? 

Offline Joe Wayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2016, 06:03 PM »
I was out Sunday morning and still plenty of ice.  Anyone been out this week who can provide an update on ice conditions?

Well, it wasn't Macbride, but the pond in my back yard (North Ridge Park, Coralville) had 7" as of 4:30 today.
Hope that helps.

I plan on going out to Macbride on Saturday to see if I can get on.
Joe Wayne | Ankeny, IA

Offline rip-lip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2016, 09:01 AM »
Shorelines are still good, lake has 8-12". Just drilled a hole off the main ramp and there was 10". Ice was popping this morning...still good to go.

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 04, 2016, 10:27 AM »
I had ten inches of ice under me Sunday afternoon on Macbride. I can't imagine we lost more than an inch or two at the most since then.

The fishing was slower for me last weekend, but I still caught fish.

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 04, 2016, 02:33 PM »
Thanks for the update.  I plan to head out after work....if this day ever ends.

Offline xplicitgtp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2016, 07:55 PM »
any luck yet?

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 15, 2016, 10:00 AM »
Fished Friday afternoon in some extreme conditions and developed a new appreciation for the Mr. Buddy heaters.  Like others have posted, caught some bluegills in the dink to 7-8 inch range, a few crappies (all dinks) and about 4:00 started catching an occasional walleye.   Most were 10-12 inches, but caught one almost 17.    Went out yesterday near the power lines and did OK during the snow, but the late morning and afternoon bite was very slow.  Marked fish all day, but after noon it went dead.  Fished until 5 and couldn't get a bite. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.