New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: any ideas the best way to repair a tarp style shanty  (Read 2937 times)

Offline mudmaster315

• IceShanty Rookie
any ideas the best way to repair a tarp style shanty
« on: Jan 14, 2016, 03:03 PM »
I have a shapple 4000  the older gray tarp type  mice got her  anyone had any luck repairing that type of shanty
Here fishy fishy fishy, Im gonna get ya!

Offline urrkel

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: any ideas the best way to repair a tarp style shanty
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2016, 03:09 PM »
well depending on how bad the damage is, sportsmans goop is great in cold temps, stays flexible and strong

Offline joefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2016, 03:11 PM »
The old iron on patches your mother used to use to patch your jeans or pants

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2016, 07:53 PM »
Your best bet is to call the company and see if you can order a new cover if it's not repairable in previous posts.Ive used any lightweight waterproof material such as from a broken umbrella and glue with pliobond contact cement.Hope that helps.

FN

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2016, 07:55 PM »
Gorilla Clear tape ...easy to work with 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2016, 08:43 PM »
Had same issue a couple years ago. Mice had chewed into our clam shelter. We ordered a patch kit from clam, worked great. I have seen patch kits for various ice shelters at Bass Pro, they might have what you need.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline WEREGEL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2016, 06:13 AM »
If you are not talking destroyed, and I have seen a couple of "totaled" mouse jobs on shelters, X2 For Gorilla, at least the black stuff.

I am a bit of a clutz, you know, "where did that grease come from?" on the brand new shirt, and I have put several slices in bibs, ski pants and rod bags with my Nils blades. Haven't managed to get the Frabill yet, never noticed any of them until well after I must have done it and always surprised I have never lost blood. All that gear is black and I have bits of Gorilla tape in "several" areas, some going on three years old that have never needed replacement.

The Gorilla clear repair sounds interesting. They need to get going and start making it in reflective for "customizing" while repairing.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2016, 06:28 AM »
On the Gorilla tape ...doesn't seem like much ... appears not to sticky...tears by hand ...I have it on tears of an insulated collapsible cooler since the summer ...holing up well ...I have since put it on my shelter holes and tears ...but no review yet on the shelter, as El Nino has effected my season some  :%$#!:...I have used Tenacious Tape last season which held up pretty good  on the shelter..but that's on little holes/tears ...I have used the Bondex iron on patches with great success on parka/bibs ...sure it would work on a shelter ...just add a hot iron, buddy ,cutting board and tea towel  should be fairly easy .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2016, 06:37 AM »
I fixed my old shanty with a blue tarp just bought some boot goop for a few bucks and used a tarp for patching worked really well new covers are like 90-100 bucks..maybe cheaper if you snoop around

Offline apacres

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2016, 10:38 PM »
Shoe goo with duct tape inside and out. Make sure material dry and clean. Let it sit a few days to really cure. Worked on rubber boots for me.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2016, 10:51 PM »
same thing happened to me this year.  mice had three or four holes ate in my old shanty.  i just went to wally world and got some fabric that matched and used some fabric glue.  worked pretty slick.  gonna try the clear gorilla tape next and have a roll of it on hand.

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Can I catch another one daddy?"
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2016, 07:28 AM »
After building my house I had a few partial rolls of "zip tape" laying around. very tough and incredibly sticky. can't be ripped and once it gets good and warm its stuck for good. pricy though... over $20 a roll. ive used it to patch raingear, waders, tent, ect. might be worth a shot. get it at a home building store.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2016, 01:01 PM »
You only need two tools to fix that right.
A telephone - to find another one, and a credit card.
Problem solved ...

:tipup:
Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2016, 02:55 PM »
I had one similar to that with some holes and tares. I fixed them by sewing pieces of old jeans to the tarp. Worked great, very strong and almost free. I bought some heavy duty thread.

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I have been on top of the world, and theres no ice
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2016, 11:26 AM »
I feel your pain lol. I use an old nylon poncho, cut the patches to fit, and used tip-up line to sew it on. seems to be holding alright.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2016, 01:20 PM »
Wader patch kit

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2016, 01:31 PM »
rip it off start new          buy a new tarp measure your shanty base most of these things are the same size even if there different brands replacement tarp from off brand should work.            these are all over on cl used   not sure on your size but a clam 2000 might be a option, clam 460, the clam, clam 5600 etc.  If your as cheap as I am a tent fly works

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2016, 06:03 AM »
Check on YouTube, you can find a video for anything on there!!!
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2016, 06:21 AM »
Lowes and walmart sell tarp patch kits including pieces of tarp and adhesive my old clam had holes in the cloth canvas I patched with fabric glue and old jeans I patch both sides of the hole and glue the patches together then coat the entire patch with the glue helps waterproof works great still after 12 years of use

Offline RaCKaHoLIC518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2016, 07:53 AM »
I used gorilla duck tape(camo) on a ground blind which is similar material. There were BIG rips in it after it collapsed from the weight of snow. It stuck really well and is still holding up strong. The blind sits in the weather for months every year. I have not had to replace it and it was done 3 years ago, the rain doesn't even leak through! Good luck!

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I have been on top of the world, and theres no ice
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2016, 08:37 AM »
I used gorilla duck tape(camo) on a ground blind which is similar material. There were BIG rips in it after it collapsed from the weight of snow. It stuck really well and is still holding up strong. The blind sits in the weather for months every year. I have not had to replace it and it was done 3 years ago, the rain doesn't even leak through! Good luck!
I 2nd the gorilla duct tape, patched an air mattress with it once, quarter size hole...held air just fine

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2016, 09:42 AM »
You guys need to start using dryer sheets to keep those rodents out. I shouldn't speak because they got into my boat Last winter and ate the driver's seat cushion in the ranger. Pretty expensive fix. My fault too. I usually use moth balls but i ran out and forgot to put some in

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.