Author Topic: Mazonia South  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Scarecrowbirdie

• IceShanty Rookie
Mazonia South
« on: Jan 14, 2016, 01:15 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I was thinking of trying Mazonia South at the end of January. I have never been there before and was wondering if anyone can steer me in the right direction on a couple of things.

I was looking for suggestions on the best place to park if I wanted to hit some of the smaller bodies of water, for example around long lake or what is marked as the wilderness area. There also looked to be a few spots north of what I believe is Pondo Lake, that I can't tell if they have access to them from the shore. I have a utility sled to drag my gear with so that will help. Or is it more advisable to stay on the big bodies (Pondo, Long, Monster).

And the last thing, is there a bait shop nearby where I could get some minnows for tip ups?
Thanks for all your help!

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Mazonia South
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2016, 01:29 PM »
Johns baitshop in South Wilmington for the minnows. He is a top notch guy. I've known him my whole life.

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2016, 06:45 AM »
First off Angelo's in Wilmington is by far the best bait shop. I have fished all the lakes in the wilderness area most are a long walk from the parking lot if there is deep snow I dont go. Second if you dont know the wilderness area go with someone that does. There is a parking lot on the main road north side just past Eagle and Ponderosa lake  entrance.  These lakes are all old strip mine pits with depths up to 50-60 feet of water most around 20-30 with very steep banks. 5 feet off the shore could be 10-15 feet of water. Safety is priority as there is also very limited cell signal and volunteer fire service. Most lakes are crystal clear water creating very tough fishing conditions but on the other hand it can also be a great day on the ice if you can figure them out. 
Good luck and stay dry.
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline FishShooter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2016, 09:03 PM »
I would have to second the Angelo's bait shop.

There is some deep water out there and safety is a major concern. I have only been out there in row boats when I was a kid. Would love to ice fish it but don't want to go at it alone. May hold off till next year. I bought a boat and would like to hit it during summer to learn some spots before going out blind.

Fish On!

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2016, 07:19 AM »
 Doing a little more research I struck Gold--- ;D   Topo maps of the larger lakes in the South unit!!!!!!!! Lakes have depths of upto 50-60 feet.
http://www.ifishillinois.org/profiles/display_lake.php?waternum=04245  Lots of good info here

I'm heading that way tomorrow  :tipup:
Today I'm on a local lake using tip downs for crop dogs!!!!!

Offline Scarecrowbirdie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2016, 06:17 PM »
How did you do there? How was the ice?

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2016, 07:42 PM »
We had a blast today 8 am till 330 pm. Ice was constant 5 inches solid black with a light covering of fresh snow. We worked water from 6 foot all the way out to about 40 foot.  We drilled a lot of holes trying to hunt down the gills. We finally found them in 10- 13 fow by back tracking to oour earlier holes. When we first drilled and checked them nothing  an hour later stacked. We kept a 4 man limit all 7-9.5 inches of gills no big red ears today. We also caught 11 bass and 2 pickerel. :tipup:
 bonus today was a doe running across the ice about 25 yards away!!!
Headed up to Pistakee tomorrow afternoon for some night time crappie!!

Offline Scarecrowbirdie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2016, 09:37 PM »
Nice. I'm going to hit ponderosa on Sunday

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2016, 06:18 AM »
New Regs for Pondo is 10 Bluegill or Red Ears for your creel limit. This is for Pondo only. Also dont forget this is the 3 rd year for the Walleye stocking experiment on Monster.

Offline fishin_for_fun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2016, 10:31 AM »
I tried Pondo on Jan 20 and there was 6 1/2 inches of great ice. Just fooling around but found several ice gills. Very tasty that evening. Good luck!

Offline Scarecrowbirdie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2016, 06:51 PM »
Went out there today. Walked and drilled a lot. Didn't get a bite. Tough day

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2016, 07:31 AM »
I was there Saturday the 23rd from 8 am to2 pm. Ice was the same and travel was easy. It took me 6 hours to get my limit but also sorted through lots of smaller gills. Fished from 10 fow to 41 fow. I actually 2 keeper gills in 38 fow. First time catching a gill in more than 20 foot. Going back tomorrow.  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.