Author Topic: History of Big Lake  (Read 924 times)

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
History of Big Lake
« on: Jan 12, 2016, 10:55 PM »
Does anyone know the history of Big Lake in terms of how the fishery has changed over the years. I'm just curious. I was thinking about the fact that burbot are plentiful in that lake and I think it is interesting that there are no lake trout in that lake. When you look at most lakes around Southcentral that have burbot in them you also have lake trout in them. They seem to often live in the same type of lakes (oligotrophic) and habitats. Good examples would be Lake Louise and Long Lake. By any chance does anyone know if Big lake ever had lake trout and maybe they were fished out. Just curious. I've never heard anything about it, but I don't know much about the history of Big lake either. I know there are some nice sized char in Big Lake, but never heard of lakers.

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: History of Big Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2016, 11:49 AM »
I know they use to have a ,25 bounty on rainbows. Claimed they hurt the salmon population. Use to have a good whitefish pop. Not sure how it is now.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: History of Big Lake
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2016, 10:16 PM »
Really?  Whitefish in Big Lake huh?  Anybody know how to catch them there?  I would love to catch some whitefish out of Big Lake.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.