New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Ballston Lake  (Read 2534 times)

Offline icroto

• IceShanty Rookie
Ballston Lake
« on: Jan 12, 2016, 05:13 PM »
Out checking ice conditions on ballston lake today. As of 3 pm I drilled 8 holes 4inches of solid clear ice in all 8 holes at the northend on outlet rd. Will be fishing it tomorrow.

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ballston Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2016, 07:21 PM »
How's it looking out towards narrows.  Good spot for pike out there.  Plenty of pannies to be found right next to the outlet.
[img width=106 height=80]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/roundlakeNY/is.png[/img

Offline trapper1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2016, 08:21 PM »
This is good news!!

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2016, 11:19 PM »
Good luck and stay safe. Post some pics if you do well lol
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2016, 09:45 AM »
Can anyone tell me where you can park near Ballston lake. Thanks! I parked at the restaurant in the summer, but that would be an awful long walk for an old fellow like me to get to the narrows.

Offline trapper1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2016, 10:41 AM »
I would have the same question; where to park?

Offline wranglerdrvr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2016, 12:00 PM »
I'm not expert on this lake like some of the folks on shanty but I have been lead to believe the rest of the lake is 100% private. Without permission you may be out of luck when it comes to access other tha the north end.

Offline hot4trout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2016, 12:14 PM »
I'm not expert on this lake like some of the folks on shanty but I have been lead to believe the rest of the lake is 100% private. Without permission you may be out of luck when it comes to access other tha the north end.

This is correct. Pretty much have to fish the north end or take a long walk.

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2016, 01:18 PM »
I always wondered what you have to do to make a lake private? Sometimes I wonder why we have to buy a license,seeing you can't get on so many lakes. Does the state have any say when they decide to take the lake from everyone?

Offline wranglerdrvr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2016, 01:35 PM »
At least we still have public access via the park . If 100% of the land around the lake was privately owned then we would really be SOL. Good luck out there!

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2016, 01:55 PM »
My buddy told me last night that his friend was on ballston and there was 6". I told him he was crazy, 4 isn't 6 but close enough. I would have thought there was hardly any ice on it. Guess I was wrong.

Good luck. Let us know how u did

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2016, 03:23 PM »
Ballston has been locked up for a few weeks now.

As far as access your only options are villago or the state dock.

It is not a private lake, however all the land on the lake is owned....so it's pretty much private as far as access goes....unless you know a guy or two 😉

I caught the most beautiful northern I have ever seen there this year....but other then that one this year, I haven't caught any others. Then again I don't target them.

Offline Johnhockey115

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2016, 07:24 AM »
Is clear lake or any of the other lakes in this area fish able?
Rodworx. Flag.

Offline kellynichole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2016, 08:31 PM »
I fished a good 3-4 hours on the north end last weekend. 0 fish that day

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2016, 07:59 AM »
im pretty sure it was slower than usual in most areas due to the storm system down south

Offline backwoodsboy-

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2016, 08:09 PM »
Anyone ever have any luck fishing at night on ballston

Offline BurbotBonanza

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2016, 09:08 AM »
Fished here last Sunday for the first time.  Fished the North end for about 4 hours.  2 bites and 1 flag.  0 fish.  The fish not biting wasn't the problem, it was the mess that someone left on the ice.  Picked up a bunch of empty beer cans, Gatorade bottles... and to top it off someone(s) took a big ole' dump on the ice.  Is it really that hard to throw your empty cans/ bottles into your bucket when you are done?  It always drives me nuts when I go to a new body of water and find trash all over the place.

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2016, 10:08 AM »
uh oh... the case of the "PHANTOM SH...ER"

Offline FishinIsLife

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2016, 10:44 AM »
Every once and a while a plastic bag or something gets loose in the wind, that is understandable. However leaving cans, bottles, propane tanks, bait containers...  infuriates me. Urban sprawl is everywhere, hunting and fishing access is hard to come by. Most of the people buying land coming from cities assume we are dumb rednecks and don't want to give us access because of, among other things, the picture in burbot's post. If you see someone do this or about to do this, confront them. Or if you don't feel comfortable call the police or game warden. Get a license plate number and turn them in. I could go on and on about the trash I find in the woods hunting but I won't.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2016, 12:03 PM »
I have a stash of grocery store plastic bags packed with my gloves, hand warmers and hats. The trend lately is that i throw out more trash left behind by others than my own.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2016, 06:05 PM »
I am not suprised. People are pigs. Picked up enough garbage over my life at the lakes as well....one big thing to thank is the CHIP factory down the road In Malta that employs thousands of people from the city, some of which are down right pigs and do not have respect. They are up here for a couple of months, or a few years living in apartments not giving a crap what they do to these waters because they won't be here the next day so us locals are stuck picking up their junk. Saratoga, Ballston lake, round lake....those lakes have serious turned into a trash zone since that factory went in, not to mention people running boats that are not registered, no trailer registration etc.

Offline icroto

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2016, 06:02 PM »
I can't believe it. 2 weeks ago I was actually into bullhead. Nice ones on the northend. Took my 3 yr old son out for his second icefishing adventure before the warm weather set in. He was happy. All he talks about are the bullhead. Also caught a few nice perch. The bite has definitely been weird this yr no matter where you go.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2016, 07:58 PM »
lots of big bullhead in that north section. Weird lake. We catch them on jigs and crankbaits all the time there.

Offline Brhat20

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Conditions Ballston Lake
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2017, 09:46 AM »
any safe ice yet?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.