Author Topic: Big troubles using Helix 5 in shallow water  (Read 10826 times)

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Big troubles using Helix 5 in shallow water
« on: Jan 10, 2016, 02:18 PM »
Yesterday was the first time using my Helix 5 set up for ice with a XI9-20 ducer. It wasn't reading the bottom that well... I was in 11 feet of water and the depth kept showing 28 feet, but clearly could see very light yellow where the bottom was. I had the sensitivity down to 0 and my jig was still shown as a HUGE mark. On my ICE55 I can turn down the sensitivity to where my jig is shown as a tiny mark, then I know anything that marks is bigger than my jig. It's like the Helix was too powerful for 11' of water? I tried everything, turning down sensitivity, tried different frequencies... any idea what could have been happening? I could clearly see my jig but it's like it won't auto-range to well in 10 feet of water. I couldn't figure out how to choose my own depth range. You can set top range or bottom range.

Any ideas here for me?
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Big troubles using Helix 5 in shallow water
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2016, 02:25 PM »
Was it in advanced mode and ice fishing?
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2016, 02:43 PM »
It should work similar to my 345c and i have used it for years in water from 5-40' deep.  What transducer do you have?  It should be the 20/60 degree ice transducer. I believe.  It is my understanding the 9/19 degree transducer is for the side imaging units 

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2016, 02:50 PM »
I too had problems with my helix 5 the first time out. Fishing shallow as well. In 9 foot of water it would read much deeper but the sonar seemed to be functioning fine. Depth lines were correct I could read my jig and fish and bottom and didn't have the problem with the jig being too big. I change the max depth based on what I see on the screen not what the depth reads and make it so the bottom is actually at the bottom of the screen. I liked using it regardless of the depth window readout but then it stopped reading the transducer saying that it wasnt connected. Checked all conections had it working and then it happen again. It's going back, maybe a bad unit I'll try one more because I really liked it. But one more bad experience I'll get my money back and go marcum.

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2016, 05:29 PM »
We used mine 3 times last year.  In 26, 19, and 120 fow.  Not shallow water and no problems with it.  I wonder if you have a transducer issue.  Can you try using the standard skimmer and hanging it level in the hole?  That will answer your question.  I will try shallow water this coming weekend and post results.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2016, 05:34 PM »
Was it in advanced mode and ice fishing?

I didn't even know there was either mode?! I will have to look harder at the menus?
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2016, 11:10 PM »
For sure set it to advanced mode...where you fishing a drop off? Where you using the 200khz beam? Hard bottom/soft bottom? What view were you looking at; circular flasher or graph? Switchfire set to clear or max mode? I assume you had it on auto depth range?

You should have no problems getting clean readings at that depth. I've used mine from 40' - 5' with no issues.

Catchin' Fish

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2016, 07:08 AM »
I didn't know there was an advanced mode, I'll have to look into that and try again. I tried both beams/htz. I turned the sensitivity down to zero. I tried the flasher/graph/DI- all the same. It would occasionally flash what I know is was the correct depth because I had my ICE55 with me and another guy had his ICE35. Every once in a while it would flash the correct depth but then go back to showing twice the correct depth. It looked like I was possibly over a whole bunch of soft/sandy/muddy bottom, Could have been 12' of water and 12' of silt and then granite. The graph/flasher would show the correct bottom depth, I could see it as yellow, just like your picture above.  I was not fishing a drop off, very consistent and shallow pond.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2016, 07:17 AM »
Also try doing a reset and then readjust your settings.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2016, 10:22 AM »
most likely a double echo - if you turned it to manual depth it would have been fine.

I would highly recommend running the Helix in demo mode to get used to the menu layout and the impact adjusting settings has - then reset to defaults and use it in normal sonar mode when you hit the ice. There is a small bit of learning curve but they're very easy to use once you get the hang of it. The user manual is also a big help.

Catchin' Fish

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2016, 02:36 PM »
I am so used to my ICE 55 which is so easy. But this will be worth it.

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2016, 07:53 AM »
Used mine this past weekend with no issues in 6 fow.  Set to ice mode using flasher view.  Advanced mode.  Sensitivity very low.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2016, 11:15 AM »
For sure set it to advanced mode...where you fishing a drop off? Where you using the 200khz beam? Hard bottom/soft bottom? What view were you looking at; circular flasher or graph? Switchfire set to clear or max mode? I assume you had it on auto depth range?

(Image removed from quote.)
You should have no problems getting clean readings at that depth. I've used mine from 40' - 5' with no issues.

whats all that yellow from the top down to about 2 feet down? you can't see fish in what ever that is?

what is that red line staying steady under the huge yellow thing? you have to look at all of the that fishing the whole time? if, so then about 2 feet is missing or unusable it appears to be.

the red line at 3.8 foot doing a diagonal upwards line is your bait?

the red line past 7.5 foot is a fish?

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:10 PM »
whats all that yellow from the top down to about 2 feet down? you can't see fish in what ever that is?
This is surface clutter - it can be completely tuned out very easily I just didn't do it that day. You can see fish in that zone once it is tuned out (advanced mode > sonar menu, surface clutter, decrease the setting to minimize the clutter)

what is that red line staying steady under the huge yellow thing? you have to look at all of the that fishing the whole time? if, so then about 2 feet is missing or unusable it appears to be.

This is the weakest return of the surface clutter.

the red line at 3.8 foot doing a diagonal upwards line is your bait?

This is a single air bubble caused by pounding bottom with my jig before taking the picture

the red line past 7.5 foot is a fish?

That is my jig sitting stationary

This image should help

The white lines on the right of the screen are the RTS (real time sonar returns) which is exactly like a showdown's display. You can color code the RTS using the a-scope feature in the advanced mode. When color coded you can see the returned strength of the pings at any given depth. A video would go a long way toward understanding how to ice fish using graph view

Catchin' Fish

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:46 PM »
These will help

Catchin' Fish

Offline jimmythegreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2016, 07:52 PM »
In shallow water u need to adjust ur sensitivity down but biggest thing is keep ducer right below ice bottom not deep in hole and surface clutter is super sensitive it needs to be like 3 or 4 setting to start.  Always choose max depth while ice fishing manually and keep in ice mode.  Im an expert lol

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2016, 02:09 PM »
I had much better luck with it this weekend!

Offline bsapp15401

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2016, 07:18 AM »
All, I was having this same issue. My helix would read the same in our out of the hole. In the hole it would show the correct depth for a split second ten go to 50-90', in no more than 10'. I thought I tried everything! I could see the bottom, I could see my jig but I could also see ALOT of clutter. I too would set my depth to where I thought the bottom was and "struggle" through.

I was very unhappy so I called Humminbird for some support, results are below:

Menu-Setup-User mode advanced; Menu-Sonar-Ice Fishing Mode on; Menu-Sonar-Digital Depth Source-2D Element

I am going to do a factory setting restore then try this.

If anyone is able to try and verify please post as I am not able to get out until this weekend if the ice is safe.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:15 AM »
yes it absolutely has to be set to 2d element when not use the si/di transducer - you do not have to use ice fishing mode, however. Ice fishing mode increases the sensitivity and updates the circular flasher view, nothing more.

Catchin' Fish

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2016, 10:14 AM »
Yep, it works 100% better. I can now put my ICE55 on Craigslist!! Woo hoo!!

Offline justin1234

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2016, 08:43 PM »
Hit a pond up today.    used mostly  graph mode and caught  some bluegills and crappie.    ive got to say, i really like the real time sonar bar.  picked up multiple fish that barely showed up about 4 feet off the bottom that came over and smacked my jig  that were so faintly marked that the showed up at less than half the size of a waxworm.   i normally have my gain(ok fine sensitivity) turned  down enough that i wouldnt have even seen these fish in flasher mode.  i would never have though i would convert.

Offline Dvang0530

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2017, 03:26 PM »
I dont have the 2d element option. Im in advanced mode. Really frustrating.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2017, 09:13 PM »
what options do you have?

Catchin' Fish

Offline slamer58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2017, 09:34 PM »
I found this info for the helix 5 on another board it helped me out a lot,i just used the white instead of the black background.

turn OFF ice mode – it automatically adjusts all the settings you want to keep locked in manually – sensitivity, max depth, surface clutter, etc.

user mode advanced
2d element (must for si/di with an ice ducer or 2d skimmer)
sensitivity 6+ (adjust as needed)
surface clutter 7 or higher (increases response speed and gives a better return on your jig, turn this setting down to negate interference)
switchfire clear mode (if using a dual beam transducer)
max depth manual (set to +5 or so, increase setting to increase gain…deeper your Helix is set to the more power it will crank out. Also, higher the setting the slower the response time since the unit is deciphering X feet of sonar data)
depth lines on (personal preference)
fish id off
wide rts window with a-scope (works awesome)
color bar off (takes up screen space)
color pallet 7 (high contrast amber, personal preference)
black background (saves a little battery)
brightness (usually around 4, saves battery)
setup the overlays as you wish (I arrange mine to be out of the way)
hide any views you’re not using while ice fishing to make screen changing easier
manually adjust the upper and lower limits as needed
structure id
noise filter off (don’t turn it on unless you need it!!!)

Offline Dvang0530

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2017, 10:25 PM »
what options do you have?

I bought the helix ice 5. I couldnt find the 2d option. But it doesnt matter now because i gave up and returned it. Ordered a flx28 should be here thursday.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.