Author Topic: Lake Maxinkuckee  (Read 12167 times)

Offline icerookie5212

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lake Maxinkuckee
« on: Jan 10, 2016, 07:27 AM »
Does anyone have any info on this lake? I'm not from the area and would love to give this lake a try sometime. Heard the fishing was great. I don't see an ice conditions thread on the conditions page. Any info would be great. Thanks!

Offline trophytaker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Maxinkuckee
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2016, 07:54 AM »
wide open

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2016, 08:21 AM »
Lots of structure. Big lake, takes a while to find the fish, however, when you do they are nice usually. The fingers on the south east side usually freeze first giving up some nice gills. Doesn't look like any ice this year.

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2016, 08:50 AM »
Fished it for the first time last year. Some IS people had a get-together last year there. A lot of humps. You could be fishing in 10ft of water and your partner just a few feet away could be over more than twenty feet.

First time out I parked at the northeast corner at the Academy. Guard told me that as long as there wasn't any event and we kept it clean then it was ok to park there. (He also asked - with a smile -  that if I saw him when I came off the lake for any info.)

You can catch fish not too far from the boat ramp. Look for the weeds.

Will it freeze this year? Don't know but it is a big lake so be very careful on new ice.

Offline MisterCrappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2016, 10:31 AM »
Fished it wed had about 2 and a half inches. All i caught were dinks but they do have some nive fish in that lake!

Offline bgriffis17

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2016, 12:03 PM »
One of the hardest lakes around to fish due to its size, but I have only been fishing it for the best part of 50 years and never trust it, there could be a truck parked out on it and have open water 50 feet away
fishing is hard can I go home now

Offline icerookie5212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2016, 01:08 PM »
Great info, I'm hoping to make a trip down next month to fish it. Looks like you guys have some nice cold weather sticking around for a while.

Would be nice if we could keep this thread open.. Or at least if any of you could keep me updated. I really wanna try this lake.. But am about 10 hours away. I've heard good things.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2016, 01:25 PM »
10 hours?? If that's not a typo you can find something better. I have been there a few times and think it's a tough lake.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2016, 01:59 PM »
i seriously hope your not coming 10 hours south to fish this lake! lol. before you make the drive, call around and find out the ice conditions. as of right now.. your wasting 3 tanks of gas for nothing!
Got one goin'!

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2016, 02:06 PM »
Maybe he is a member of the ICE MEN reality tv show that is sponsoring a tournament on the lake.  I think it was Feb.16, 2016. Check out the web site.  The videos haven't come yet on the site.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2016, 03:40 PM »
just what we need another unreal reality TV show. lol 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2016, 03:54 PM »
He may really love a challenge...  ;D
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Suck it up and drive on troop
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2016, 04:12 PM »
Well shoot ,might as well go to the boat before or after fishing.  Might have some better luck  lol
Prov.27:17 As iron sharpens iron ,so one man sharpens another.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2016, 12:19 AM »
10 hours?? If that's not a typo you can find something better. I have been there a few times and think it's a tough lake.

My guess is he means 10 hrs away no typo, allot of his other post are different states(N.Y., Penn, Col.Wis, Ill, Iowa,etc.) so I imagine he's not from Ind..
If you come to Maxy Icerookie I wish ya gl. It is a tough lake, just look at some of the results when they had the Trny last year. I've sat and watched my UW camera for hours and many times the eyes and jumbo perch swim thru without a glance at my lines. There's allot of nice fish in there but finding them when their bitting is not easy, there is so much structure they could be anywhere. If you fish it, bring lunch and a couple thermos's of coffee, it may be a long day for ya.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline icerookie5212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2016, 09:03 AM »
Thanks musky, yes.. I am from NY...and yes I want to come fish this lake haha  it's alright if it's a tough lake, I am just hoping it has good ice in a couple weeks. There's much better lakes elsewhere, but any more info closer to my trip date would be just fine.. Lol

We finally have good ice here in ny.. Like 4" where I'm at. This winter is terrible  ???

Offline icerookie5212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2016, 09:17 AM »
How's this lake looking? Anyone been out yet? I'm still planning on coming down to fish this lake!  ;D

I'll be there in a few weeks. Hoping it's locked up nice, I see it's been pretty cold out that way.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2016, 09:24 AM »
As of right now, the majority is safe. There are some areas where the ice has cracked and been pushed apart. There are 12 inch wide cracks that run all over the dark ice in the middle of the lake. Those cracks are frozen but not safe. A spud would be advisable when venturing to that area.

I highly doubt that it will be safe in two weeks if the weather prediction holds true.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline bgriffis17

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2016, 01:55 PM »
with the wind we have right now she may be pulling apart along the cracks watch your step

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2016, 10:49 AM »
Any word on ice conditions?  how'd it hold up?

Offline fasttimeracing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2016, 11:12 AM »
I'm heading out there tonight with a spud bar a life vest and my spikes. I will post on what happens. I hope that mean I get a limit off some nice eyes and not a got bath.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2016, 11:36 AM »
I'm heading out there tonight with a spud bar a life vest and my spikes. I will post on what happens. I hope that mean I get a limit off some nice eyes and not a got bath.
   You are very brave or maybe a bit foolish. Hope you have a buddy tagging along in case. Don't forget a long rope. GOOD LUCK

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • its what u learn after u kno it all is what counts
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2016, 11:52 AM »
Trust me it takes a little bit of both to go out in this stuff, but I too am planning on going out this afternoon somewhere

Offline fasttimeracing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 05, 2016, 06:33 PM »
Yeah getting on is a bit tricky.  I took the spud bar and one for a walk a couple places it went through and two hits. I was OK for about a half a mile out and then I started going through in one hand so I just headed back to a Breakline and started getti started jogging. If you plan on comin in the morning be smart. I'm heading in not marking a thing

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 05, 2016, 07:43 PM »
Thanks for the update. Be safe out there!

Offline fasttimeracing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2016, 07:57 PM »
Oh she making ice pop in' cracking the whole walk in

Offline BassLake_Coroner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 06, 2016, 08:23 AM »
Anyone on it today how we looking for tournament is it cancelled yet or still pending?

Offline Mohawk Scout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 07, 2016, 01:08 PM »
The tournament is going to happen. Depending on ice conditions, it be on the main lake or in the channels.

Offline bgriffis17

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 07, 2016, 03:39 PM »
bring your own plank to walk out on, we get the snow there calling for. well just makes thin spots more fun, there could be floaters? but that's just me

Offline fasttimeracing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2016, 08:50 AM »
Saturday I walk 7/10 of a mile to my spot. Spiffing the whole way out some places 5"-6" good ice. Other places the spud would  through after two hits. There are some bad places if you are not carful. I'm a light guy 130 pounds.
The bad part there were guy out there before me and following my tracks from the night before. Not safety hear that I could see as I walked by.
I'm thinking it is going to tighten back up here start tonight.

Offline Bob6504

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2016, 05:43 PM »
Does anyone know when the tournament starts and where at on the lake? Hopefully the lakes around this area start to tighten up. Weather lookin good from what I have seen.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.