The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Anyone still fish blind?  (Read 5725 times)

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Anyone still fish blind?
« on: Jan 06, 2016, 11:06 PM »
My flasher crapped out on me after 5+ years.  Good thing is Marcum has an awesome repair policy...

While waiting for my flasher to get fixed I have tried a few trips without it.  Fishing blind really takes the joy out of ice fishing for me... I think I'd rather catch a few on the flasher than catch a mess of fish without one haha.    Does anyone on here still fish without a flasher?  I don't know how you do it!!!   I know they are expensive but well worth it!

Offline Lowens110

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anyone still fish blind?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2016, 11:23 PM »
My flasher crapped out on me after 5+ years.  Good thing is Marcum has an awesome repair policy...

While waiting for my flasher to get fixed I have tried a few trips without it.  Fishing blind really takes the joy out of ice fishing for me... I think I'd rather catch a few on the flasher than catch a mess of fish without one haha.    Does anyone on here still fish without a flasher?  I don't know how you do it!!!   I know they are expensive but well worth it!

Can't do it either all the years I did just can't do it now! Only frustrating part having one is seeing fish and they won't bite at least blind you never knew they swam up and starred at your hook

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2016, 11:47 PM »
I do by choice at night sometimes. Reminds me of the old days, when I didn't even know how to read a flasher. I have left lakes before when the battery is done. In water over 20', a flasher is a blast for sure.

Offline RicA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2016, 11:57 PM »
I feel like the lone coyote here...I've never used a flasher.   :)

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2016, 12:04 AM »
I feel like the lone coyote here...I've never used a flasher.   :)
Don't ever buy one. It's a trap!

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2016, 12:30 AM »
My father has never used one to ice fish with.  He is 82 and still fish's blind on the ice.
Don

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2016, 07:24 AM »
Don't know how I ever did it either, just like cutting holes with an axe before in knew what a spud was. I refuse to do either ever again. I have 3 augers now and 3 finders so there's going to have to be some serious stuff happen if I do  ;D One thing, back when I started using finders on the ice it didn't take very long and everyone I fish with followed suit. They hated that my catch rates always at least doubled or tripled theirs. I only have one friend that has not bought one yet but he does not have a problem borrowing one of my spares if I bring one  ;)
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline aaronh33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2016, 09:11 AM »
I never have used one. But I have never really fished a place in the winter that I havent fished alot at during the summer.  So I usually have a decent idea of where I like to fish and a few spots that I know have some structure.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2016, 09:16 AM »
That's me!!

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2016, 09:26 AM »
I never have used one. But I have never really fished a place in the winter that I havent fished alot at during the summer.  So I usually have a decent idea of where I like to fish and a few spots that I know have some structure.

I did the same for years, and always caught fish.  What I find with the flasher is that there are often fish that will come through high in the water column that you would never even know were down there.  These are often the most aggressive fish and will often bite when the fish near the bottom are window shopping.  it is pretty fun to mark a fish up high, reel up to it and get it to bite!

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2016, 09:38 AM »
Been ice fishing for close to forty years and purchased my first flasher 6 years ago and now I wouldn't go on the ice without it!

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2016, 09:46 AM »
im not an old timer but i dont use one. the idea is neat, but i dont know. its the same as the rest of the year. cant get a flasher or cam in the water when im spin or fly fishing so really makes no difference to me. Althoooough it would be neat to see a king salmon smash a fly on cam...

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2016, 12:01 PM »
only if my son comes with me and i forget my old one. my boy always steals my vexlar.
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2016, 05:00 PM »
 I might as well turn around and go home !    :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2016, 05:05 PM »
I did the same for years, and always caught fish.  What I find with the flasher is that there are often fish that will come through high in the water column that you would never even know were down there.  These are often the most aggressive fish and will often bite when the fish near the bottom are window shopping.  it is pretty fun to mark a fish up high, reel up to it and get it to bite!

it sure is  ;D  .....  and even more fun to have them chase it at full speed for 50' before slamming your jig :o

But ....  staring at a little flasher instead of the incredible views around you is a shame
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline lippy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2016, 05:35 PM »
like most of you I never use to use one until I got one now I would almost go home if I forgot it. just learning to use a flasher had a lcd for ever. still get a chance to see the what is around me it not like being in a hut.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2016, 12:46 PM »
On my hike-in ice lakes I fish blind.  Its kinda fun to go old school on 'em!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline WyoNative

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2016, 12:59 PM »
GemCitySlayer, I see you are a big fan of the Marcums.  Which one have you found most reliable?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2016, 01:07 PM »
Who isn't  ;) I love my LX-7. Color pallete and target separation is top of the line along with all the different screen configurations you can choose from
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline tomertim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2016, 01:37 PM »
I took a buddy last weekend.  It wasn't his first time ice fishing, but first time using a flasher. 

His first fish was about an 18" Rainbow that rose really quick on the screen and went after his fly.  Afterward he said "I really want to get into this.  It's kind of like hunting."

I think with a flasher there is so much more of "go get em' mentality that is super fun.

Offline WyoNative

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2016, 01:55 PM »
The LX-7 is the newest greatest, but is an entry level like the LX-1 or LX3 still a good investment?  I used a LCD on the ice several years ago and didn't have much luck with it. 

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2016, 02:02 PM »
For sure there are plenty on here that use the 1,3 & 5's and have great success. Now its just like the old chevy vs. ford deal. Vex's are good units also. Its just a personal preference. Best thing to do is try and go out with someone that has one and try it out. If not then keep your eye out when on the hard deck and see if someone is using one and try to strike up a conversation about it. If the fishings slow you may get some good 1st hand info. There's always the stores to check them out also but if you can get a feel for one on the ice it would do you better
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2016, 03:25 PM »
I can't fish without it.
Drove to Keyhole last year from my house in Gillette.  Unloaded the gear and noticed I forgot my flasher.  Loaded back up went home and got it, turned around and back to the lake I went.  Without a flasher is like trying to wrestle a Bobcat with a wet noodle.
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2016, 03:52 PM »
GemCitySlayer, I see you are a big fan of the Marcums.  Which one have you found most reliable?

I use a Marcum LX-5. My wife got me a LX-7 for xmas I made her take it back. The 5 works just fine.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Jearamie Johnson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 20, 2016, 12:03 PM »
I have never fished w/ a flasher... & I've still been able to catch my fair share of dinner... Does it suck...? Absolutely... But being on the ice nonetheless is better then never experiencing pulling a slab out of an 8" hole... But that's all about 2 change... Just ordered my first flasher from Jet.com ( LX-7 for $565 shipped to my door )... Should be here 2morrow... Just in time for the Granite Tourny... Put me in Coach I'm ready 2 play...

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 20, 2016, 12:05 PM »
I had a flasher, sold it to move. Now I really miss it...Haven't caught a keeper in 3 trips. You pay more attention to things though. It's tough. I give credit to the old timers
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 20, 2016, 12:30 PM »
I had a flasher, sold it to move. Now I really miss it...Haven't caught a keeper in 3 trips. You pay more attention to things though. It's tough. I give credit to the old timers
                Still blind, somehow 25 nice gills found their way into my bucket!!

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 20, 2016, 12:52 PM »
                Still blind, somehow 25 nice gills found their way into my bucket!!
I've been after lakers. Keep pulling up perch and smelt. I did lose something decent on the way up! no idea what it was though
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline rwerf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 20, 2016, 01:10 PM »
I have to agree.  Fished long time without and found the flasher gives you enough information to keep you interested even it the fish aren't cooperating.  I don't think I would fish without it.

Offline Em_307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 21, 2016, 02:38 PM »
Never fished with a flasher until the other day. Seems like it will be very helpful in deeper water! Excited to use it some more.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.