Author Topic: Safe spudding  (Read 9179 times)

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Safe spudding
« Reply #30 on: Jan 07, 2016, 09:07 PM »
I know how it freezes.  Too slowly every year.

Amen brotha
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline upnortfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 07, 2016, 10:32 PM »
I chisel holes until the ice is 5-6" and then put the spud away until April. Keep my spud sharp and it goes through 3" pretty easy, dont think it stresses the surrounding ice that much. Used a hand auger early ice last season for first time in forever and kept getting stuck at the bottom of 3" of ice after 3 or 4 times I put it back in the sled and chiseled the rest of my holes.

Offline kfitz52981

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 11, 2016, 08:38 PM »
I don't know this to be true by my grandfather always told me no augers on less then 3" of ice, spud only. His reasoning was that when the auger went through the ice and then back out it caused waves and those waves could compromise thin ice further out than the direct blow of a spud bar.  30 years later and still dry.  All that said my grandpa was a welder not a scientist so...
30 extra seconds can turn the worst day fishing to the best

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 12, 2016, 06:15 AM »
I choose to leave my 20lb spud at home since I've gone electric..

yeah, I would leave a 20# spud at home too. Mine weighs about 5# and seems more like a hiking pole. I also went electric, it's no alternative to a spud. You use the spud to check the ice as you walk, you use the auger to drill holes to fish or check thickness. 2 different tools for different uses. The auger is in my sled as I drag it behind me, the spud is in my hand checking ice as I go. If I'm worried that a hit from my spud is going to "compromise" the ice, then I'm going home to watch the game instead.

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 12, 2016, 06:34 AM »
After I went for a swim I got a spud bar. It's like my Am-Ex " I don't leave home without it."  I spud  early ice and use it as a walking stick on all ice. I don't see how spudding scares fish more then dragging a sled over their heads or the grinding of creepers. And I'm not sure how a spud bar does more damage to early ice then an auger, I don't know how many times I've drilled a hole and had the ice crack and run across the ice.
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 12, 2016, 08:58 AM »
Allow for springs and current as well.  I've seen open water with 8 inches of ice all around because of up welling from a spring.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 12, 2016, 06:49 PM »
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline old buffalo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 12, 2016, 07:25 PM »
I would rather use a spud bar than a hand auger. Quicker. Something to use if the power auger doesn't run. Great for safety and cleaning out old holes.

Good fishing and be safe.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 12, 2016, 07:38 PM »
Always fun when someone starts drilling 10" holes to check the ice all the way out from the launch to where they want to fish..

Offline rufishn2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 13, 2016, 06:47 PM »
Send the heavy weight out first.
team "off all winter"

Offline ontariolaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 14, 2016, 07:49 PM »
Yes!!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 21, 2016, 08:23 AM »
I always spud on thinner ice! It definitely ensures you don't push the limits too far. I've talked myself out of venturing because my spud said..."hey dumb @55, back away"!
I've also been glad I had it when the ice was going fast and I used it to plot a safe course off the fishing spot. I Love my Spud...in fact I think I'll name it. How does Mr. Tators sound?
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.