Author Topic: Jiffy auger question  (Read 2038 times)

Offline hot shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jiffy auger question
« on: Jan 06, 2016, 03:59 PM »
I'd like to get my 3 jiffy augers tuned up / adjusted (2 older model 30 and one model 31) They all seem to run "ok" but they all tend to stall out or bog down at various times....one when the choke is taken off of full and the other 2 when under load.
If I feather the throttle and pull up on them etc I can manage to get holes done but its a pain in the butt!
I'm looking for a small shop or preferably a home based business somewhere in or around the charleswood area of the city.
If anyone knows of a good place or has DIY experience setting the adjustment screws please let me know.
Any help appreciated.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: Jiffy auger question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2016, 07:01 PM »
By the sounds of it, they need a good cleaning.  You can buy the replacement parts kits from small engine shops.  If you look on the flange of the carb, you'll see a letter embossed sometimes with a number.  You need that to get the right kit.  Engine serial number also helps.  Once you get them running, add a bit of Seafoam to each tankfull to keep any varnish from building up in the carb internals.   

Offline JK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • retired fish N Pa.to New York
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2016, 07:04 PM »
The one that runs on choke only probably has mud in the exhaust.  Maybe caused by the mud bees.....jk

Offline hot shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2016, 07:21 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I have been reading up on this a bit more and yes it seems it could be one of 3 things.....
Gummed up exhaust
Carb needs cleaning
Adjustment screws need tweaking
I'm leaning towards thinking it might be all 3!
Any other input appreciated.
If I can't find someone close by to do the work, I might attempt myself. Anyone have any tips?

Offline avidangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2016, 10:33 PM »
Make sure they are warmed up good before drilling , Prem gas mixed with opti 2 oil .. 4l gas to one tube of oil...Some times leaving it at 1/2 choke  helps , maybe a little sea foam in first tank .. I bet that's all you need..especially if its happening to all three at same time

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2016, 06:27 AM »
Check out this sub-forum; should be full of good info.. http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=73.0

Mike
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline mcdee

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • w
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2016, 11:48 AM »
Make sure they are warmed up good before drilling , Prem gas mixed with opti 2 oil .. 4l gas to one tube of oil...Some times leaving it at 1/2 choke  helps , maybe a little sea foam in first tank .. I bet that's all you need..especially if its happening to all three at same time
Totally agree ! I drill my first couple holes at 1/2 choke  ;D

Offline biggamefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2016, 05:47 AM »
I'd like to get my 3 jiffy augers tuned up / adjusted (2 older model 30 and one model 31) They all seem to run "ok" but they all tend to stall out or bog down at various times....one when the choke is taken off of full and the other 2 when under load.
If I feather the throttle and pull up on them etc I can manage to get holes done but its a pain in the butt!
I'm looking for a small shop or preferably a home based business somewhere in or around the charleswood area of the city.
If anyone knows of a good place or has DIY experience setting the adjustment screws please let me know.
Any help appreciated.

I would take them to Yetman's, they will perform what ever service necessary including setting the carbs up outside in the cold....that is the key.  Take all my Jiffy's there, my last one was still new in the box when I dropped it off. Until 3 years ago, I would always use premium fuel and Opti 2, then I switched to Aspen2 fuel that I buy from, shelf stability is 7years....Jiffy runs like is on fire! 
>}}}}}}''> FISH PANIC AT THE MERE SIGHT OF ME AND MY G3  >}}}}}}''>

Offline hot shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2016, 01:55 PM »
Ok so after running seafoam all seem to be running a little better BUT....
Both 30s were laying down on garage floor for the past few days. Went to pick them up and both spilled a bunch of gas out of the intake. Once I stood them up the gas was all spilt out so I fired them up and both ran decent.
Do I have a bad diaphragm or something sticking?
They have never done this before and only now after running the seafoam.
Going to take them into a shop tomorrow but figured I'd get your opinions.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2016, 04:30 PM »
Your needle valve rubber seat is probably leaking a little bit.  If you change them, pay very close attention, the tiny "O" ring has ridges on one side and not on the other.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.