Author Topic: Lake Wanahoo  (Read 4343 times)

Offline Mat

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Wanahoo
« on: Jan 05, 2016, 09:37 PM »
Has anyone been able to fish lake Wanahoo on the ice yet? Any luck? Mainly interested in pan fish and have heard great things about this lake but have never fished it. Any tips on a good fishing spot or jigs to use? Thanks in advance!

-Mat

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Wanahoo
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2016, 03:19 PM »
Has anyone been out on Wanahoo yet!?  Any word on the bite... ???
Maybe a rookie at this game but willing to travel for the BITE....
Jiffy Pro4 8 in auger Clam Yukon Marcum LX 5 Muck boots. Xwife got the 4wheeler so I'm dragging it if I cant drive on the lake....

Offline nate95366

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2016, 03:29 PM »
The word on the street at the "other" forum is that people are fishing it and the ice is 6+ inches.  I myself have not been there, though.

Nate

Offline catfish18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2016, 12:21 PM »
The bite is VERY good at Wanahoo. Bluegill and Crappie limits no problem, Northerns and Walleye are being frequently caught also. Think I might muster up the balls and go fish Wildwood here in a few minutes. Colder as hell out there though
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Vexilar23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2016, 12:46 PM »
Fished wildwood a bunch these last couple days. The bluegills have been very active if you can find them ( which is pretty easy) and the crappie are just hit or miss. I haven't been able to find a jig that just gets them but every few fish is a small crappie. On Sunday some 1.5 + lbs were caught.  But heading up to wanahoo to try it up there. Never been their. Any spots to look for or anything like that. Don't know what to expect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Flippin and Dippin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2016, 03:14 PM »
Going to fish wanahoo on friday. Can anyone give me an idea on where to start looking for fish.

Offline Vexilar23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2016, 02:37 PM »
Fished wanahoo Monday afternoon and the trees anywhere seem the place to be. Everybody is catching crappie there. Just move till you can find a school.

Offline Flippin and Dippin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2016, 05:06 PM »
Good crappie and gill bite today. Thanks for the info

Offline HntFsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2016, 10:13 AM »
Plan on taking my girls tomorrow. I have never fished Wanahoo but have been jonesing to for several years. My parents live in David City and when I visit I never seem to have time to sneak over there. Planning on trying to get the kids on some crappie. Should I bring minnows or are waxies sufficient? Sometimes I have better luck with minnow heads but with all of the kids gear it is just one more thing. ???

Offline nate95366

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2016, 10:36 AM »
There's a no live baitfish regulation there, so be careful on the minnows. Minnow heads should be fine though, and a spoon tipped with waxies may work well, as well as the traditional teardrop with a waxworm.

Offline HntFsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2016, 10:43 AM »
Thanks for the help! I wasn't aware of the bait restriction. I guess I should do my homework better.  :o I think I will take some frozen minnows. That will make for easier packing. ;D

Offline HntFsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2016, 09:49 AM »
I took the family yesterday. We fished in the trees and had good success on crappie and gills on glowing teardrops tipped with waxies. If any of the girls had a slow period I just punched some more holes and they lit up again. Some of the biggest bluegill I have seen in a while. We took the better ones home and had a feast last night.  GREAT DAY ON THE ICE!

Offline duckaholic76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2016, 08:20 PM »
i heard there is a lot of fresh water springs on wanahoo. is this true I want to take my step son out and I don't want to worry about the ice

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2016, 04:34 PM »
Was out there yesterday, Ice was fine...
Maybe a rookie at this game but willing to travel for the BITE....
Jiffy Pro4 8 in auger Clam Yukon Marcum LX 5 Muck boots. Xwife got the 4wheeler so I'm dragging it if I cant drive on the lake....

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2016, 11:57 PM »
Was at Wanahoo today, bite good early AM then slow but steady the remainder of the day. Mix of nice gills and 9-10" crappie. Small baits were key today. Ice still in good condition, at least 10 inches everywhere we fished.

Offline wintersports99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2016, 05:16 PM »
Fished Wanahoo today.  Bite was slow but moved around a lot and finished ok.  Ice was 10" but as day went on was deteriorating fast.  Don't see it lasting much longer especially in the trees. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.