Author Topic: Gloves/Mittens  (Read 6020 times)

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
Gloves/Mittens
« on: Jan 05, 2016, 11:40 AM »
Looking for a good pair fishing gloves/mittens, for using on the ice.  Was wondering what are your guys favorites?

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Gloves/Mittens
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2016, 11:43 AM »
Simms windproof fleece with fold over mitts, expensive but worth the money...

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2016, 11:46 AM »
Ive had these for 3 seasons and just got another spare pair. Love them

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=318501.msg3351520#msg3351520
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2016, 11:49 AM »
frabill FXE gauntlet glove, never been cold with these on.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2016, 11:51 AM »
snowmobile mittens on cold days wool gloves on nice days

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2016, 12:06 PM »
Ive had these for 3 seasons and just got another spare pair. Love them

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=318501.msg3351520#msg3351520

I will second these.  Great mitts that you can pick up for $20 or less.

Offline RedShantyMi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2016, 12:47 PM »
Fish in wool gloves. Going out/in or checking tipups the old reliable leather mittens with wool inserts are hard to beat and they last forever.

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2016, 02:05 PM »
Rag wool gloves to work with , good insulated mittens while sitting around. Tip bring towel to dry hands before putting them back in gloves/mittens

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2016, 02:51 PM »
frabill FXE gauntlet glove, never been cold with these on.

BIG x2! had these golves for a few seasons and they really are incredible...i can submerge my whole hand without an issue...i have had the gloves sopping wet on the outside and they still stay dry on the inside...liked them so much i misplaced a pair so i hurried right out and bought another pair. then found my "lost" pair now i shouldNT need gloves for YEARS! not convertible for jigging tho

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2016, 02:58 PM »
http://www.tonyrogers.com/images/2007_nokia_mittens/IMG_5530_1200.jpg    if you can't view the image google "ice fishing mittens"

These are the only mittens  you will ever need. I have had a pair for over 35 years. Still in good shape. I use fingerless wool gloves inside them.

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2016, 03:57 PM »
I have wool gloves with fleece inserts for the pull out. Don't like to use any in the shanty. Still searching for a neoprene/waterproof pair that's warm. My hands only really get cold after dealing with fish on tipups. Especially slime darts and hammerhandles
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2016, 04:14 PM »

You can toss hand warmers in the mitten part

Fox River makes a pair a well...made in the USA (Iowa)
https://www.foxsox.com/catalog/product.aspx?type=subcategory&sortorder=stylenumber&code=GLOMT&selectedstyle=9366

Catchin' Fish

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2016, 04:37 PM »
I had the Glacier fold over mittens and the seam busted on them within 5 days of having them and I had not been fishing with them, I was just wearing them driving in the car. Turned them in to Bass Pro after showing them the seams on both gloves going and got the Ice Armor Mittens instead. If you fish in a shanty, or use a shanty to warm up then the Glacier mittens will be plenty warm. I do not own a shanty, so I needed a little more to keep the hands warm.

http://www.glensoutdoors.com/clam-icearmor-extreme-mitts.html?gclid=CLSH6rHdk8oCFQaraQoddG4GDA

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2016, 09:43 PM »
i usually use low-price ski gloves, but i have a few requirements for what i buy:
1. gotta have a snot-spot.
2. gotta have a hand-warmer pocket.
3. gotta have long, oversized collars on the wrist to fit over the wrists on my coat.
4. waterproof.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2016, 10:17 PM »
For the ride out and back I use my Choko Claw Mitts.
When setting up and taking down, drilling etc I just wear a pair of insulated work gloves.
When fishing (usually inside my hut) no gloves are needed.
When fishing outdoors (usually @ -25C or warmer) no gloves are usually needed but I always have a light pair of fleece gloves handy if needed.

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2016, 10:24 PM »
Hestra gloves.  Then if I need to land a fish, rebait a hook, or whatever, I take them off, do what needs done, dry my hands, then put the gloves back on.  Never been cold since I started this method thanks to some guys on this forum.
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2016, 10:33 PM »
I get a few pairs of fingerless fleece treated with camp dry
If one pair gets wet I switch
http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Fingerless-Fleece-Gloves/product/2220625/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline AlphaPlex20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2016, 11:24 PM »
HT used to make a lobster style neoprene-like glove.  It was similar to a mitten, but your index finger had its own glove finger.  It had the old brown and black spotted waterfowl camo on it.  i misplaced mine; but those were the best ice fishing gloves i had come across.  They may still make them, but i found them buried in a box at an old fishing store years ago. 

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2016, 04:42 AM »

I don't wear gloves or mittens when ice fishing, especially when pan fishing, I can't get the hooks out with mittens on.
            I wear a hooded sweatshirt and keep one hand in a pocket if it's really cold. :cookoo:

IW

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2016, 04:47 AM »
The best pair of gloves is the dry spare pair you take with you for when you drop your first pair on the wet ice!

Unless there is a wind, I usually fish without gloves.  The ones I have are fairly inexpensive polartech type with just a little insulation.  My requirement is that they be easy to take on and off, and small enough that I can put them in a pocket when I do take them off.  Don't put them on the ice.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2016, 07:31 AM »
I spent 50yrs sitting on a bucket and just recently bought a clam flipover, Never wore gloves except for the walk out and in, Just bought a pair of Ice Armor gloves and like them, but don't wear them when fishing.

Offline NewportMe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2016, 09:49 AM »
good old chopper mittens with wool mittens inside warmest I have found. Get them nice and roomy and toss in a hand warmer if extremely cold

Bruce

Offline dani

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2016, 12:05 PM »
Cheap ones that keep my hands warm are Hot Paws from Walmart.  The best ones I have are Ice Armour mitts. Nice to have warm hands. D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.