New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Saratoga Lake BS 2016  (Read 22176 times)

Offline phil2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Saratoga Lake BS 2016
« Reply #30 on: Jan 08, 2016, 02:19 PM »
And the award goes to the brave soul about 1/4 mile out from Brown's beach this morning.  If you are a member, give us an ice status.
it was me about 2.5 to three inches. But sketchy had the ice bar my way around. Rain and wind is going to kill it Sunday. So stay safe!!

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 08, 2016, 09:19 PM »
What's the targeted species when hitting the Saratoga Lake hard water? I know there is a lot of pressure on bass during the summer but have heard more Walleye stories this past summer than i had the previous 3 summers combined.

Walleyes are there but few catch them, although there are few sharpies that do quite well.  Pike have become scarce the last few years.  I'd say pannies are targeted by most ice anglers on Saratoga;  perch, gills, sunnies, crappies.  I fish small jigs hoping to catch those but also catch a lot of rock bass, lm bass and snot rockets.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 09, 2016, 07:15 AM »
Those pickeral are pain in the butt. They eat my best jigs. Im getting good at learning what fish is what just by looking at my flasher though. I keep my drag loose on toga because of those pickeral. Its always my good jigs they take.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 09, 2016, 07:16 AM »
walleyes are still there for sure. Good ones too.

This year during a bass tournament my buddy caught a near 8lb walleye. He threw it in the livewell and called me on the way to the weigh in, asking me if I wanted it because it was the biggest walleye he has caught. I asked how big it was and he didnt measure it but it was just under 8lbs on his scale. I told him just to let it go, as thats a nice big breeder...so at the weigh in he pulled it out of the livewell and guys flocked over to him. The guys were trying to get the fish from him, and they got pissed when he threw it back. They put so much pressure on him he didnt even get a picture with the fish, and he regretted it shortly after.

a lake like that needs those big breeders to go back.

sadly, Their are hardly any northerns left in that lake. I havent heard about a northern over 30"s being caught in years.

Has anyone else?

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 09, 2016, 07:31 AM »
Last northern I have caught over 30" (35" to be exact) was the last northern I have seen pulled out if there: May 2014. Pickerel were overwhelming all open water season 2015, from April to October

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 09, 2016, 09:07 AM »

This year during a bass tournament my buddy caught a near 8lb walleye. He threw it in the livewell and called me on the way to the weigh in, asking me if I wanted it because it was the biggest walleye he has caught. I asked how big it was and he didnt measure it but it was just under 8lbs on his scale. I told him just to let it go, as thats a nice big breeder...so at the weigh in he pulled it out of the livewell and guys flocked over to him. The guys were trying to get the fish from him, and they got pissed when he threw it back. They put so much pressure on him he didnt even get a picture with the fish, and he regretted it shortly after.

sadly, Their are hardly any northerns left in that lake. I havent heard about a northern over 30"s being caught in years.

Has anyone else?

Five years ago I caught a 36". Another fellow caught a 38". Saratoga Bait & Tackle Tournament. Two fellows came in last minute with a 42" and 40".

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 09, 2016, 05:54 PM »

Has anyone else?

A buddy of mine caught a 41 incher 2 summers ago bass fishing... complete fluke and we usually never see pike caught, a few over the past couple years and they're usually under 30 inches.
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 09, 2016, 06:10 PM »
Do they still host pike tournaments on Saratoga? It seems to me that with the declining numbers over the past couple decades they would try to prevent any chance of killing off breeding mothers.

Offline phil2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 09, 2016, 07:30 PM »
Do they still host pike tournaments on Saratoga? It seems to me that with the declining numbers over the past couple decades they would try to prevent any chance of killing off breeding mothers.
no pike and walleye tournaments anymore,from the bass clubs I think the troopers still have their 5 to six boat tournament. But been working with the Dec guys they think because of the water fluctuations in the spring is the cause of the pike decline.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 09, 2016, 10:18 PM »
Five years ago I caught a 36". Another fellow caught a 38". Saratoga Bait & Tackle Tournament. Two fellows came in last minute with a 42" and 40".

These were general tourneys, several species, through the ice.

Offline bwlin13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 10, 2016, 03:39 PM »
Was just looking at web cam looks like south shore is showing some ice left. Now let hope for a cold week ahead

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 11, 2016, 11:40 AM »
Almost all the ice is gone.  The South end still has a sheet from 200-400 yards wide.  If the wind dies down, maybe we can be fishing later this week.  I haven't been up to Fish creek to see the situation there.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 14, 2016, 09:03 AM »
It's been cold enough to refreeze but the wind just won't die down.  Situation pretty much as reported several days ago.  A big sheet around the south end is still holding.  From the bridge out to the lake appears frozen but how much ice??  Fish creek is frozen but there are funky looking patches.

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 14, 2016, 04:11 PM »
I was told Saratoga bait n tackle has moved. Can anyone confirm this? If so what is the new location and new phone number if they changed that as well. Thanks!

Offline BillyChuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 14, 2016, 04:25 PM »
I was told Saratoga bait n tackle has moved. Can anyone confirm this? If so what is the new location and new phone number if they changed that as well. Thanks!

Moved to Schuylerville / Rt 29 next to Subway.
Same phone number.

Offline rayban

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 15, 2016, 09:46 AM »
Yes Saratoga Tackle has moved (we had to with the rent increase Stewart's wanted being one factor).

We're now at 111 Green St., Schuylerville, NY - actually off Rte. 29 & corner of Green st. beside the Subway shop before you hit town. It is a few miles from Saratoga. Our phone number is the same 518-584-3952  and currently running hours of Mon-Fri 7-7, Sat 6-5, Sun 6-3 for the winter.

Offline jessgruss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 15, 2016, 12:31 PM »
My friend and I are interested in fishing this lake this year. We are both from the Albany area and neither of us have fished it in the past, only heard good stories. Any information would be great. I know no one likes to give their fishing spots away. But it would be much appreciated.  ;)

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 15, 2016, 08:08 PM »
Thanks rayban. As soon as the ice cooperates I will be at the new shop.

Offline trapper1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 18, 2016, 04:17 AM »
Any updates on Toga conditions? What about Lonely?

Offline chessieman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 18, 2016, 10:58 AM »
Fished out in front of Brown's Sat and Sun - 4" of clear, black ice out to 300 yds, then it starts thinning - fishing was terrible, two of us 4 hours Sat and 4 hours Sun - total 6 keeper gills and a couple throw-backs - served to "scratch the itch", but really not worth it.

Some guy fishing tip-ups outside of us came in and asked if we had a rope incase he broke through - told him we'd call Rescue Squad.

Should be better this weekend.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 18, 2016, 08:02 PM »
we had a plowing job on Saratoga today. The lake is WIDE open. At the south shore marina today the wind was pounding the existing ice there and was tearing it up pretty good.

Offline basshunter12748

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 21, 2016, 06:16 AM »
Fished off browns beach last night,  had 6 inches everywhere I drilled but not go out past where broken up ice had refrozen together.  Beyond that in the middle of southern basin is still OPEN water so be careful out there. No walleye,  pickerel and bass were hungry. .. could only get out to about 10 FOW

Offline backwoodsboy-

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 21, 2016, 01:02 PM »
Anyone know if there is parking at south shore marina this year

Offline rayban

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 21, 2016, 01:17 PM »
Don't know but last year there was parking at Brown's Beach as well so you should check out both. I know South Shore will charge you to park, not sure about Brown's.

Offline backwoodsboy-

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 21, 2016, 02:38 PM »
Thanks rayban will check out Browns beach I think Town of Stillwater took that over and probably free to park good thinking

Offline chessieman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 21, 2016, 03:08 PM »
Parking is free at Brown's Beach, the Town of Stillwater did a good job last year keeping the lot open - let's just make sure that everyone "carry's out, what they carry in" - don't abuse the privilege and we'll continue to have free access.

Offline JC4me

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 21, 2016, 04:41 PM »
Good ice at Fitch. 6-6.5 inches. Fished there today. I would say Fitch is locked up,fellas.
"It is better to have fished and lost...than never to have fished at all."

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 21, 2016, 05:40 PM »
Good ice at Fitch. 6-6.5 inches. Fished there today. I would say Fitch is locked up,fellas.

It was open water yesterday just on the edge of all the pushed up ice chunks.

I would be careful out there still.

Offline bluegillbasher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 21, 2016, 05:53 PM »
How far out? The area just past the broken up/refroze ice was open yesterday mid day when I went by there. Anything from shore to 200 yards out has stayed frozen for about a week now,anything past the ice cube line and you best be spuddin or you will be swimming.

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 21, 2016, 06:13 PM »
Anyone look at or fish lake Lonely yet? I fish hard there during the summer caught a decent amount of northerns never ice fished it tho

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.