New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Saratoga Lake BS 2016  (Read 22171 times)

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
Saratoga Lake BS 2016
« on: Jan 04, 2016, 05:16 PM »
We're getting close.  If the wind dies down tonight could be frozen tomorrow morning.  Lots of snow geese the last couple of days, haven't seen too many this season up til now.

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Saratoga Lake BS 2016
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2016, 05:56 PM »
Some lake edges are freezing around town so the future looks decent
Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2016, 06:29 PM »
I took a ride around toga today. Zero ice. Not even shore ice. Lake was very rough. I would be very surprised if it froze over night. Dont think the water temperature is cold enough.  I could be wrong but doubt it. I also have been seeing snow geese. What a messed up waterfowl hunting season this year was.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2016, 10:00 PM »
I was out fishing on Ballston lake yesterday. The water temps in the narrows on Ballston were still 40*. At the northern, shallow end, they were 37*. There was a tiny bit of shore ice there this morning. Round lake had 0 ice on it today as of noon...and if round lake isnt crusting over, its going to be a while before saratoga does.

Saratoga will not freeze tonight. The water temps on that lake are still too warm. It will take more then one 5* night to lock it up at this point. The lake will not freeze this week.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2016, 08:18 AM »
Ballston lake and round lake locked up completely last night. It was down to 0.. Colder then they forecasted.

Offline wranglerdrvr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2016, 09:08 AM »
Nice!

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2016, 09:15 AM »
Toga did lock up mostly last night.  Some open water in spots. I dont think i ever saw a lake have no ice and lock up in 1 night...ducks and geese are here. Awesome to watch

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2016, 09:36 AM »
Yeah I just drove around the lake. Crazy. Sadly it's not enough ice on that lake to hold out with the warmer temps we have coming in a few days so chances are by he weekend toga will be back to the starting point almost. However the smaller lakes I'm sure have a thick enough crust at this point to stay together through the warmer temps until colder temps come back.

Either way, is it spring yet? Lol

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2016, 09:42 AM »
Yeah I just drove around the lake. Crazy. Sadly it's not enough ice on that lake to hold out with the warmer temps we have coming in a few days so chances are by he weekend toga will be back to the starting point almost. However the smaller lakes I'm sure have a thick enough crust at this point to stay together through the warmer temps until colder temps come back.

Either way, is it spring yet? Lol
I agree. Most is good skim ice but it will make ice into tomorrow. I passed you on the east side of the lake near Stewarts.

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2016, 09:55 AM »
Toga did lock up mostly last night.  Some open water in spots. I dont think i ever saw a lake have no ice and lock up in 1 night...ducks and geese are here. Awesome to watch

Doesn't surprise me. I fished Toga New Year's Eve with the boat and the water temp had dropped to 40 from the snowfall and after dark was down to 39 in spots.  Sunday the 27th it was 44. The lake level had come up a good two feet also since Sunday. 

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2016, 12:39 PM »
As predicted.  Ice looks fragile, hope the wind doesn't come up.  Saw an eagle cruising off Brown's beach early this afternoon, and two lonely geese standing out on the ice wondering where the water went.

If you don't weigh more than a goose you could be fishing! (Sounds like a test of a witch "She changed me into a newt".)

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2016, 03:34 PM »
Wind made quick work of majority of the ice on toga. Now its just the edges and south end that have ice. Fish creek too. I was going to be very surprised if that lake locked in 1 day and stayed. Conditions must of been perfect the other night. Ice was clear and smooth. Going to be a while now with forecasted temps. 2 weeks at least is my guess. Unless you launch the boat. Lots of open water

Offline bwlin13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2016, 04:01 PM »
Bummer is lonely still locked up

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2016, 06:06 PM »
Wind made quick work of majority of the ice on toga. Now its just the edges and south end that have ice. Fish creek too. I was going to be very surprised if that lake locked in 1 day and stayed. Conditions must of been perfect the other night. Ice was clear and smooth. Going to be a while now with forecasted temps. 2 weeks at least is my guess. Unless you launch the boat. Lots of open water

Looks like I have somewhere to put my boat still by this weekend.

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2016, 08:14 PM »
Does anyone know if you can park at the new park that they opened this year on the right, going out into the lake from the boat launch? Or did they block it off at the top? Thanks!

Offline basshunter12748

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2016, 09:03 PM »
Drove into the park today to check out the ice situation so its not blocked off currently

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2016, 10:26 PM »
Looks like I have somewhere to put my boat still by this weekend.
Just gotta break ice at launch and in channel then you free man for majority of lake. Will be more open more each day.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2016, 05:01 AM »
Does anyone know if you can park at the new park that they opened this year on the right, going out into the lake from the boat launch? Or did they block it off at the top? Thanks!

It's  not new this year.  Two years ago it was open all winter.  They were doing work last year and closed it, apparently now open again with upgrades.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2016, 06:10 AM »
Just gotta break ice at launch and in channel then you free man for majority of lake. Will be more open more each day.

I wouldn't be going until next Tuesday and looking at the weather, with 50* and rain on Sunday I'm guessing I won't have any ice to worry about at the launch.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2016, 10:00 AM »
I just left the Saratoga lake boat launch. There is about 2.5" of ice. I couldn't break the ice throwing a 3lb rock as hard as I could.

Offline wranglerdrvr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2016, 10:02 AM »
Nice, how's the rest of the lake looking?

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2016, 01:38 PM »
Nice, how's the rest of the lake looking?
Read the thread. Lake is mainly open water

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2016, 03:50 PM »
Read the thread. Lake is mainly open water

The lake was 90% locked up today at 11am. The only open water I saw was from mannings cove to the kaydeross.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2016, 03:53 PM »
some nice gills at the north end
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline wranglerdrvr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2016, 06:02 PM »
Thanks for the update SS. ;D

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2016, 10:55 PM »

Water must be right at that temp. Lake was locked then it opened and must of tighten back up over night because i parked in the old cliffs restaurant yesterday and you could see a ton of open water. Was only froze south of snake hill and north near launch. I couldnt see ice in mannings cove. Good news i guess. Im not really in ice fishing mode quite yet. Still shooting ducks and geese. How cold it get here last night? I was in niagara falls yesterday and today and wasnt cold really. No wind either.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2016, 05:45 AM »
Water must be right at that temp. Lake was locked then it opened and must of tighten back up over night because i parked in the old cliffs restaurant yesterday and you could see a ton of open water. Was only froze south of snake hill and north near launch. I couldnt see ice in mannings cove. Good news i guess. Im not really in ice fishing mode quite yet. Still shooting ducks and geese. How cold it get here last night? I was in niagara falls yesterday and today and wasnt cold really. No wind either.

It was below 10* wensday night in round lake...its 16 right now

There was some cracks in the ice that was letting water ontop that was making it look like open water on black ice...but the lake is locked up.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2016, 06:36 AM »
Wow it was way warmer near great lakes. News out ther said water is between 34-44 degrees.  Id imagine the 44 degrees was the great lakes

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2016, 09:46 AM »
And the award goes to the brave soul about 1/4 mile out from Brown's beach this morning.  If you are a member, give us an ice status.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2016, 10:41 AM »
What's the targeted species when hitting the Saratoga Lake hard water? I know there is a lot of pressure on bass during the summer but have heard more Walleye stories this past summer than i had the previous 3 summers combined.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.