The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: GULL LAKE  (Read 47467 times)

Offline lookinfopike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: GULL LAKE
« Reply #360 on: Feb 28, 2016, 04:17 PM »
People have been on and off the bay all day long. I got to believe its time to turn out the lights and go home. That ice is looking pretty much done :tipup:
http://www.gulllakecam.com/

Home of the "Gull Lake Smelt Factory Ice Flies"

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #361 on: Feb 28, 2016, 04:53 PM »
Looks like there's 2 still out there

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #362 on: Feb 29, 2016, 05:59 AM »
Not Gull related but smelt related.....Myslef and Ripper trecked up to Green Lake sat night, got 110 between the 2 of us.  Hey SmeltBuster, check out these 3 smeltzillas I got....9.5", 9", and 8.75"...lol

Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #363 on: Feb 29, 2016, 04:00 PM »
Way to go  :clap: Glad to hear you guys at least got some smelt.  Those are some dandy ones right there !  Going to get the Toon out, probably Thurs. , after work. Weather permitting, I will be smelt fishing, Friday night. 
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Preacher Chuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #364 on: Feb 29, 2016, 04:25 PM »
Green Lake....did the same thing there last year and  had 5 that were all about 9.5 "  and got those on a tip from someone on shore....minnow heads....guess I better go back....nice job Wgorby and Ripper

Offline Jeff S

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish and a 40.
« Reply #365 on: Feb 29, 2016, 05:11 PM »
For all of you smelt guys...
This video is from a while ago,the 2012 date is not accurate,  I saw this episode when it firat aired on tv.
Any time I hear smelt it makes me think of this. Some or all of you may have seen it, but it's worth watching again.
Fred Trost, in a U.P. creek.
Daytime? !?!??!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6o9jC_1dXvQ
"Yes dear, I'll be in when fish stop biting"
How many have you got?
"None! They haven't started biting yet."

Offline ruttinbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #366 on: Mar 01, 2016, 07:16 PM »
Can you catch the smelt after iceout ? I got the smelt bug too late now
the kids keep bugging me to go.
Thanks

Offline Average-Joe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #367 on: Mar 02, 2016, 01:16 PM »
Anybody check the condition of the lake recently? More interested in open water now. Looks like there's tracks to the middle of the camera and then straight back on the bay cam.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #368 on: Mar 02, 2016, 02:44 PM »
I will check it out on Thurs., after work. I am planning on either trying open water smelt, at the edge of the ice, or lake trout fishing, sometime this week-end. It all depends on what I find, on Thurs. afternoon. You can catch smelt in open water, but I have been told that it is tough. As for the laker fishing.... well, there are a few things that I am tight lipped about, & this is one of them, Sorry ! As for open water summer trolling, treat Gull like the big lake, riggers , boards & Dipsy's. You can follow my Posts for that fishing, over on "Myfishfinder.com"/Mich. board.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline GpaPerchEye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #369 on: Mar 02, 2016, 03:30 PM »
A-Joe, those tracks may be from yesterday. Late afternoon there was a pop up out there. Must want fish way worse than I do.

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #370 on: Mar 02, 2016, 04:58 PM »
You can launch a boat at the north end. You lots of open water looks open at least to Ross twp park.
Anybody check the condition of the lake recently? More interested in open water now. Looks like there's tracks to the middle of the camera and then straight back on the bay cam.
Rippin lips one at a time.

Offline lookinfopike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #371 on: Mar 02, 2016, 05:39 PM »
Just saw three guys in close to the middle of first bay. That ice looked like crap a week ago, cant be that good out there I would imagine.  :tipup:

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #372 on: Mar 02, 2016, 06:30 PM »
Just saw three guys in close to the middle of first bay. That ice looked like crap a week ago, cant be that good out there I would imagine.  :tipup:
  How bout we go fishin tomorrow night on 2nd bay ?  You can lead the way  ;D.  I will even let you wear my new floatation vest  ;D .  You can keep what we catch ! Honestly, it looks like this thread may turn into an open water deal, sooner that hoped for . Stabin Cabin, thanks for the ph. call. Just got in from snowblowing a path to the Toon.  Ross twp. is going to be a long cold run , to ice, in these conditions. Might have to fish for lakers instead !

Offline lookinfopike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #373 on: Mar 03, 2016, 02:40 PM »
  How bout we go fishin tomorrow night on 2nd bay ?  You can lead the way  ;D.  I will even let you wear my new floatation vest  ;D .  You can keep what we catch ! Honestly, it looks like this thread may turn into an open water deal, sooner that hoped for . Stabin Cabin, thanks for the ph. call. Just got in from snowblowing a path to the Toon.  Ross twp. is going to be a long cold run , to ice, in these conditions. Might have to fish for lakers instead !

Sounds great...I will be a bit behind you. Dont forget the shanty and Icegator. They have been out there all day today too. So you know they are catching fish :tipup:

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #374 on: Mar 03, 2016, 04:26 PM »
Lots of open water on the north half of the lake. Ice is about 100 yds. offshore at Baseline rd. ,& yes I will be out there in a boat, sometime tomorrow. Not sure if I will be after smelt , pike or lakers ! The launch needs to be shoveled out  before  boats can be launched though.

Offline GpaPerchEye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #375 on: Mar 03, 2016, 05:18 PM »
Smeltbuster, r u taking a chain saw, to cut the oft joked about trolling path in the ice ? ;D

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #376 on: Mar 03, 2016, 08:00 PM »
Smeltbuster, r u taking a chain saw, to cut the oft joked about trolling path in the ice ? ;D
  My chainsaw is broken, gonna use some dynamite  ;D ;D ;D.  Going to try for lakers tomorrow afternoon. Might try for smelt, Sat. night. Trying to figure out a makeshift shelter for the "toon".  If we do that, I will try & get the toon jammed into some half rotten  ice , so I don't have to drop 90' of anchor rope. Thinking about going out in the A.M., w/ my tractor & blowing out the launch. The snow plow guy probably didn't think anyone would be trying to launch a boat right now  ???.

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #377 on: Mar 04, 2016, 07:17 AM »
Whats going out there Phil?

Offline GpaPerchEye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #378 on: Mar 04, 2016, 12:41 PM »
SB- make sure the fuses are long enough

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #379 on: Mar 04, 2016, 05:15 PM »
We used to drill holes with a 300 Weatherby Mag!
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #380 on: Mar 04, 2016, 07:55 PM »
I was unable to make it out today, but  I am planning on surf fishing the north end in the A.M., hoping for a laker or some pike .

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #381 on: Mar 05, 2016, 09:05 AM »
No luck ,surf fishing this morning. There were 3 guys on south bay, when I came by it, on the way home.

Offline primetime

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #382 on: Mar 08, 2016, 11:58 AM »
There is one brave soul on the first bay right now.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #383 on: Mar 08, 2016, 06:20 PM »
Seen a guy out there yesterday afternoon. It wont be long & the lake will be totally open.  I am planning on open water smelt fishing, Thurs. night, weather permitting.  The Toon is almost rigged for it. Also planning on some pike fishing w/ minnows, & or trying for lakers. Cant let this early thaw get in the way of fishing !

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #384 on: Mar 09, 2016, 06:37 AM »
How much is the park pass?  I finally have a boat and plan on doing some fishing out there.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #385 on: Mar 09, 2016, 05:58 PM »
The annual pass is $80.00 for non-residents of Prarieville Twp. ,& $70.00 for residents.  I believe the daily fee to launch a boat is now $10.00. Way more, than it costs anywhere else. Keep in mind, if you show up some day during the summer, on a busy day, & the park is full, you have to wait until there is an open spot (that could be hours). Season pass means nothing. 1st. come, 1st. serve, no reserved spots  for season pass holders. HOWEVER, you can come in , early in the day, drop your boat in a parking space to "Reserve" it for later in the day. That rule pretty much "Sucks", in my opinion. I choose to just stay away from the whole mess, on week-end afternoons. Keep in mind, there is always Baseline rd., but it is a shallow water launch, & you already know about the parking ;)

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #386 on: Mar 10, 2016, 06:47 AM »
I have a drift boat that can lunch in 4 inches of water.  Baseline might be the way to go :)

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #387 on: Mar 10, 2016, 09:07 PM »
For those of you wondering about open water smelt fishing in a boat...... it can be done !  We fished tonight in 83' of water. Marked tons of fish in the bottom 30'. I caught 1  ::).  The wind is the biggest problem; it moves the boat around (we had 3 very heavy anchors, holding the "Toon"), but it still bobbed around. We did not mark any fish, up high. When we came in, we stopped marking fish at about 60' of water. Water temp was 37.9 degrees. I know this is an ice fishing forum, but there has been some interest in boat fishing for smelt, so I am sharing what we experienced tonight. I will take fishing in a shanty, for smelt, anytime, over sitting on my "Toon". Pulling the anchors up, was not fun at all . Will I try it again,  YES  ;D.

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #388 on: Mar 11, 2016, 11:29 AM »
Yeah I can imagine that wind is your worst enemy....considering the light tackle used to catch smelt it would be tough to see the bites unless you are darn near perfectly still.  SmeltBuster...we need video of your adventures!!  ;)
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #389 on: Mar 11, 2016, 12:47 PM »
I have not even figured out how to post pics on here, let alone video !  Wish it was as easy as FB !  I post quite a bit on there !   Right now, I have a pike trip planned for Sat. morning, drifting w/ some giant shiner minnows. Getting to fish w/ a very good friend, that hardly ever gets out, due to work. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.