The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: GULL LAKE  (Read 47461 times)

Offline rpdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: GULL LAKE
« Reply #180 on: Feb 01, 2016, 11:46 AM »
I have to agree with Dr on this one. Nothing good will come from carrying a gun out there with you. I'm not recommending you do nothing either. Sounds like you have a lot of people upset with whats going on out there as well. If each one of you contact someone who is involved in local government or law enforcement or conservation officer it would be  your best place to start. There is always strength in numbers but make phone calls not trouble for your self. Enough noise from you guys and they will do something
 Rp

Offline Vtran4600

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #181 on: Feb 01, 2016, 12:59 PM »
How about contacting the media and letting them know, obviously our taxs and license fees is going to waste

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #182 on: Feb 01, 2016, 01:15 PM »
Not sure about getting the media involved. They have very little use for those that Hunt & Fish, get a public uproar going and no telling what'll get closed down

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #183 on: Feb 01, 2016, 03:15 PM »
NO GUNS !  Been There, Done That, trying to protect my property , from a punk that was trying to burn down 2,000 of my pine trees. Went to jail over night & it almost cost me more than $$$ to beat it. You guys that have CPL's know what can & cant be done, well, most of you do. I had 3 people look me up Sat. night & they all were very interested to know if the slobs were out there. Its amazing how many guns are already out there, on the lake, that we don't know about  ;D. Give me a few days on this . I am going to find out exactly what we can do, wich is probably nothing, except make phone calls. That's the info that has been given by 3 different  DNR employees. Had I done that, on Friday night, I would not be here right now, those slobs were that close to me, they knew who I was & were doing everything they could, to get something started. I'm giving this till Wed., to get some answers, I will let you know what I find. I am also checking the ice on 2nd. bay, Tues., when I put the garbage can, back out.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Beats sittin at the house

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #184 on: Feb 01, 2016, 04:52 PM »
Sad to hear about all this nonsense on gull lake! (For the record I'm on smeltbuster's side). It's a shame that us responsible fisherman have to deal with adults that act so imatur. What happend to the good olé days where u could go out and fish with people u didn't know before and didn't matter if they were drunk or high cause they could control them selves. And also not have to worry about explaining everything BUT FISHING to your child on the ride home. I've been pretty lucky by not running into rude or obnoxious people on the ice so far, but I also don't go to popular fishing areas. Thanks again for all you do smeltbuster! Keep us who r not in the middle this updated. I havnt forgot about coming out to see you so you can show me your tricks, just a little to busy catching gills!
There's never a bad day of fishing!

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #185 on: Feb 01, 2016, 08:15 PM »
This is why I don't post were to fish, were to access etc. For all the good guys there is always some bad and the bad always ruin it for the good. Before you know it none of us will be able to fish the south end of gull because the access will be shut down and I don't blame the property owners. Fishing already is not as good there as it was several years ago in my eyes because it is over run with people and the fish over time become instinctive to this and    no longer inhabit this part of the lake.

This past week I shared where I was catching some gills and perch with someone that I do business with at work and thought I would share with him to go out with me. I get a text later that him and a couple buddy's were going fishing and he may stop buy.... ???. So guess what....him and four other guys show up and we all start to fish and I drill some holes and some of the group moves over and starts skimming them out and fishing them before I even have the chance to myself. Now I don't own them holes but the guy has a drill auger and can't even drill his own holes. Should of known better...that won't happen again.

I see talk about swan lake...I remember seeing all the posts on IS a few years ago about that lake and guess what it has turned into now????

Live and learn!

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #186 on: Feb 01, 2016, 09:27 PM »
Did somebody say swan lake?
History repeats itself again.
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline tip ups

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • never enough!!
« Reply #187 on: Feb 01, 2016, 09:56 PM »
I have live my hole life around gull, 54 years and now its turned in to a Gang fight,, us against them, them against us and guns and making arrest.. well dgb is right run your mouths and tell the world and what do you think was going to happen.. Just throw en this out there but if YOU don't live on it or pay taxes on it STAY OFF IT!!!
Maken time to dip your line. Flag up!!

Offline Mcwharthog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #188 on: Feb 02, 2016, 09:06 AM »
     Been following this drama for a few weeks now and thought I"d put my two cents in.  I think the authorities would be more receptive to complaints from actual lake residents than what they probably see as squabbles between fishermen.  Is there a Gull lake homeowners association? These groups tend to have some clout especially when the members are rich.  I bet if some loser trespassed or littered on the lawn of a million dollar home something would get done right quick. 

I have no problem with carrying a firearm but please be careful. I do not think a gun has any place in a dispute over littering or obnoxious behavior but if there are people making meth out there it would wise to carry.  it makes me sick to think of some scumbag pouring toxic waste into any lake. I f this is happening please take a picture of the evidence they leave and give it to law enforcement.

Offline mojonixon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #189 on: Feb 02, 2016, 10:59 AM »
You mean someone really makes meth on the ice? I find that a little hard to believe but if that's the case then the law needs to be involved. I don't want to lose this great fishery that i just started to fish. That was a good joke about paying taxes tip up. Rofl

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #190 on: Feb 02, 2016, 12:55 PM »
I hope you didn't put them on my lake DGB!   ;)2

We need to get out fishing man!

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #191 on: Feb 02, 2016, 12:56 PM »
Just throw en this out there but if YOU don't live on it or pay taxes on it STAY OFF IT!!!

Get bent man.  The lakes are a state resource not something for only rich people to live on.

Offline BC_ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #192 on: Feb 02, 2016, 01:58 PM »
Get bent man.  The lakes are a state resource not something for only rich people to live on.

X2

Also that is why these lakes have what is called a "Public Access."
}<((((°> 
                }<((((°>

Offline tip ups

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • never enough!!
« Reply #193 on: Feb 02, 2016, 02:38 PM »
thank you for making that point.. There are no public access at the Bay So use one of the two and walk down bet that that would get rid of white trash, they are not going to want to walk that far all messed up. And the $7.00 at the park could help with the up keep of the park. my point was no one is going to change these a$$ holes, guns or fists. Just going to bring more of there friends to help them more of good people to to help IS members long story short someones going to end up dead and people in Jail.. for what? to make someone do it your way?? should I start converting to Islam for the muzzies as well. so yes PLEASE use the public access off Baseline and M-43..
Maken time to dip your line. Flag up!!

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #194 on: Feb 02, 2016, 03:01 PM »
Give it a day or 2 & lets see what develops, PLEASE ! The garbage can is back on 2nd. bay, the ice is good for at least 20' from the dock & its raining & windy out there. DGB, you make a very good point, I was just trying to help out the decent guys that fish out there. They outnumber the slobs by a very large percentage. There are more decent folks out there, than slobs. The smelt are there, & they will bite, if folks keep the noise down & the darn pike will stay away. 4 hook-ups in 5 trips. I'm doin my part on the open water in the summer, to help w/ this problem  ;D.  Not Sorry I opened this can of worms, it needs to be taken care of & I am tryin to do it the best I can.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #195 on: Feb 02, 2016, 04:19 PM »
I agree with tip ups.
I pay taxes in one of the townships bordering Gull Lake.
Work hard for nice things. And you will treat those things respectfully.

Offline mojonixon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #196 on: Feb 02, 2016, 07:31 PM »
I pay taxes in that county... Does that mean i can fish too?

Offline Zktaylor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #197 on: Feb 02, 2016, 09:15 PM »
As outrageous as it was, I did pay for an out of state yearly MI license. Hope gull isn't off limits for me. At that rate, I hope I can fish any lake in MI! Or any lake at all since I dont live on one.. anyways, people need to start caring more about our lakes and other people. Went out again a couple days ago and picked up 5 beer cans not even 10 yards from where the access is. I understand people want to have a good time, and I'm all for that. But you gotta know where to draw the line. Stay topside everyone!

Offline fishin machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #198 on: Feb 02, 2016, 10:47 PM »
A valid Michigan fishing license is the only thing you need to pay for to fish Gull, or any public accessible body of water in Michigan.
If your gonna be dumb, You gotta be tough.

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #199 on: Feb 03, 2016, 09:41 AM »
 Looks pretty slick out there anybody planning to head out this weekend Ice should lock back up what are you guys think ?

Offline Rockandtroller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #200 on: Feb 03, 2016, 10:13 AM »
Smeltbuster, judging by your efforts over the last couple of ice seasons, I doubt you are anything but an honest fisherman with good intentions in trying to help others enjoy a wonderful fishery. But..., what you are witnessing at Gull Lake right now is EXACTLY why there are many people who cringe at the idea of hearing a known good lake and the internet mentioned in the same sentence. Smelt "fishing" has always brought out the unsavory, party 1st type of angler. Ask anyone who is familiar with the history of smelt at Higgins Lake for example. My only hope from here on is that those who are genuinely concerned with what has happened to Gull Lake can/will chalk it up as a lesson learned about a good fishery vs. internet boasting.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #201 on: Feb 03, 2016, 01:02 PM »
smeltbuster didn't start this tread, for what it's worth. there are plenty of ice reports in this michigan section. it seems that's all there is any more once people think there is fishable ice here some where. no reason to rule out one person doing what he feels is his part of the big picture. there are 11 pages so far here about this lake, so it's a popular lake is all that means. gull must just be where the majority of ice anglers fish or live close enough to want to fish it. i don't care about the lake to fish, but i do care about the lake for being there for generations of other people who want to fish it when they get their choice to fish it or not.

there's no reason dnr isn't out there doing there job. they face unruly people poaching with guns in their hands all of the time! that's why we pay them and they have a radio if they are out numbered, we pay for that too. and we pay for the back up that would be showing up to assist.

A valid Michigan fishing license is the only thing you need to pay for to fish Gull, or any public accessible body of water in Michigan.
could you imagine not being able to fish the lakes you didn't pay property tax on? why, you'd have millions invested in real estate to be able to fish all of the lakes. if you had that much money, you could run for president ;) and just buy your fish. (not that i fish because i'm hungry. i throw mine back or give away).

licenses are a form of tax, even the land owners have to pay for a fishing license to fish it or a boat license to boat on it. also on private lakes you have to have a fishing license. no one owns the water. some are declared state owned by a judge and some are not like kalamazoo river is not state owned, no federal judge ever declared it.
land owners only own the land underneath the water for a defined distance.

Offline fishin machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #202 on: Feb 03, 2016, 01:29 PM »
could you imagine not being able to fish the lakes you didn't pay property tax on? why, you'd have millions invested in real estate to be able to fish all of the lakes. if you had that much money, you could run for president ;) and just buy your fish.
That's quite the spin, but the fact is, it is a publicly accessible lake, and all that is required to fish it is a valid fishing license. Imagine that.
If your gonna be dumb, You gotta be tough.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #203 on: Feb 03, 2016, 02:15 PM »
Looks pretty slick out there anybody planning to head out this weekend Ice should lock back up what are you guys think ?
I will check the ice, Thurs. after work, but I don't know if I should share what I find  ::)........ Of course I will share  ;).  Lots of valid points here, even if I don't agree w/ all of them, most of them bring up some good questions. Not to sound like a jerk, but even though I live in Calhoun county, I pay Gull Lake school Taxes, as well as taxes for KVCC, does that make me eligible to be considered a local resident ??? As for the north end boat launch, if you don't live in Prarieville Twp. you are considered a non resident & have to pay an extra 10 bucks for a season pass. Hey, 3300, ;).

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #204 on: Feb 03, 2016, 04:06 PM »
Some of you may have seen a post I put up today, but it is now gone. There is a reason for that.  I received a less than enthusiastic response from the Kalamazoo county central dispatch. I was told that officers probably would not come out on the ice for any complaints & then was told that they were to busy to discuss the issue. Not willing to STOP, I contacted Ross TWP offices & the on duty officer called me & spent quite a while on the phone w/ me. He is the 1st. law enforcement officer I have talked to, about this. He was very understanding, friendly & helpful;  this is his area to patrol . If anyone has a problem w/ the slob/scumbags out there, call 911, they  will respond & will go out on the ice if it is safe to do so. They will need an exact location Or better yet, have someone meet them on shore. He is well aware of the situation, he has been out there. Do NOT take matters in to your own hands . This is how we have to deal w/ it. Keep in mind, the more 911 calls that flood the switchboard, the quicker the response. Lets all band together & take care of this mess, so we can get back to what's important,   having FUN & catching smelt ;).

Offline Beats sittin at the house

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #205 on: Feb 03, 2016, 04:12 PM »
I'm in!
There's never a bad day of fishing!

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #206 on: Feb 03, 2016, 04:23 PM »
OK so after reading all the points in the debate I will add this as I don't recall seeing this yet.  Most states and I believe Michigan is one of them has a Hunter harassment law.  This law protects the sportsman not just hunters from harassment for participating in the outdoor sport they have paid to have the PRIVILAGE, yes when you buy a licence you are paying a tax for the PRIVILAGE to perform that task hunting or fishing.  If that person is being harassed by ANYONE while legally using that privilege the harasser(s) are breaking the law and can(should be) prosecuted.  It is the DNR office that has the authority and responsibility to investigate/stop the harassment that is part of the tax paid for the privilege.  The DNR officer has the duty of enforcing these laws and the authority to enlist local law enforcement for backup if the situation is outside of their control.  Local law enforcement will probably not venture out on the ice unless they see something illegal taking place, that will only happen if life is in imminent danger, as they would observe and wait for the perpetrator(s) to return to solid ground.  The DNR Officer on the other hand should patrol the waters just like in a boat in the summer and I have been checked by many on the ice in my shanty.  I have never fished Gull but it definitely sounds like there is an issue with the regional office if they are not patrolling as they should be when a problem is reported.  Maybe since the Governor has poked his nose into the DNR operations over the past few years he should get a letter.  Since he was the driving force behind the fee increase for the betterment of Michigan fishing, the hiring of more officers, and enforcement of the rules maybe we should see if he handles this better than the water situation in Flint.

Smeltbuster posted as I was typing with good news someone is listening.  Be safe guys and gals and report the issues if you buy the privilege you have rights and they have to be acknowledged.

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #207 on: Feb 03, 2016, 04:57 PM »
40's for the weekend highs till sunday.
Rippin lips one at a time.

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #208 on: Feb 03, 2016, 05:39 PM »
I hale from the township of PRAIRIEVILLE. I also have probably met most of you on the ice. Very few know who I am. Cursed or blessed those few are, only they know the true answer to that. I do however throw rocks at hornets nests to watch what happens. So here hold my beer..... and watch this.....

Perhaps the reason that the Ross township park is closed during the winters on Gull Lake, is because of the ones (that reside in the shallow end of the gene pool) littering and disrespecting this unique fishery.

Furthermore, just because you can buy a license from the state of Michigan for fishing,hunting,operating orv,. Does not mean you have a God given right to do so. There are rules and common practices that are expected and sometimes even enforced (if you are lucky) by law enforcement.
Ok, give me back my beer I am done.

Discuss

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #209 on: Feb 03, 2016, 06:04 PM »
Netminder34, when I called the RAP Hotline, this past Saturday, & explained what had happened, the lady I talked to, said that the "Harassment" charge is a hard one to enforce, especially if the offenders were also fishing. That is what I called that # for,   a Harassment complaint. It angers  me, that the people that I talked to, except for the Ross Twp. police officer , pretty much, didn't care.  "RealityCheck" , as for the thread you started ,about, "Why do you post?"  I'm starting to understand some of the other posts. As for me, I'm no young kid, spouting off, just to see my posts on here. I'm almost 55 yrs. young, & learned at a very young age, that helping others is a good thing. I also cant stand people that refuse to share a little bit of info  & act like they own a piece of water or  public land. If it has a public access you have to learn to deal w/ the good & the bad. If you want complete control, go buy something that allows you to do so. Just trying to do my part to leave it better than I found it. Take the info I have received & use it if you choose to do so. As for me, its time to tie up some more smelt rigs, to replace the ones that the pike have destroyed & get back out there :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.