The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: GULL LAKE  (Read 47459 times)

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
GULL LAKE
« on: Jan 04, 2016, 07:38 AM »
Just looked at the bay cam not to happy. Hopefully tomorrow morning it will ice over.
Rippin lips one at a time.

Offline lookinfopike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: GULL LAKE
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2016, 11:10 AM »
Calling for rain Thur. Fri. and Sat. Not going to be much help for sure >:( :tipup:
http://www.gulllakecam.com/

Home of the "Gull Lake Smelt Factory Ice Flies"

Offline nws6373

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2016, 01:46 PM »
I heard there was some boats in the bay the other night. Wonder if they were Smelt fishing or Crappie fishing? My guess would be Crappies.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2016, 03:40 PM »
Ducks seem to be feeding well

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2016, 06:09 PM »
I heard there was some boats in the bay the other night. Wonder if they were Smelt fishing or Crappie fishing? My guess would be Crappies.
Nick, you are guessing WRONG  ;D.  Just got a call from a friend, about an hour ago.  I had the past 5 days off & should have been smelt fishing, instead of doing other stuff  :(.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline nws6373

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2016, 08:47 AM »
So Phil, we going out on the toon tonight?

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2016, 03:41 PM »
I have to work tomorrow  :(. I AM NOT RETIRED !!!  The Toon is winterized, but seeing what the forecast is, for the next few days...... Maybe, just maybe.  Its a SLOW ride from Prarieville , to 2nd. bay, on "ToonyDaze". The report I got was very reliable. They did very well, 2 different nights. If it works out, I'll shoot ya a PM.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2016, 06:37 AM »
I am putting one of these in green in the drain plug of my boat this year http://boatpluglight.com/products/typhon-bp-1-rubber-drain-plug-led-light....Here smelty smelty smelts.  ;D
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline lookinfopike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2016, 12:56 PM »
Someone has claimed the prize for first ice fishing on the Bay 1/6/2016 1:30pm. He is close to the center first bay. He is out of the Baycam view. Sure hope nobody decides to go join him...Has to be all of a inch at best of clear ice off the end of the dock I checked. But is iced over all the way to the second bay. Still a bit to thin in my book, but it wont be long...Tight lines to all and be safe :tipup:

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2016, 02:31 PM »
Someone has claimed the prize for first ice fishing on the Bay 1/6/2016 1:30pm. He is close to the center first bay. He is out of the Baycam view. Sure hope nobody decides to go join him...Has to be all of a inch at best of clear ice off the end of the dock I checked. But is iced over all the way to the second bay. Still a bit to thin in my book, but it wont be long...Tight lines to all and be safe :tipup:
Come on dude, that's plenty of ice for you & me  ;D. As soon as I hear from ya, I'll pick ya up & we can go out, you can lead  ;D. Been wantin to try that new auger, & 1" would be a good test ! Seriously, that is just Stupid !

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2016, 04:55 PM »
1-1.5 inches south bay. Its froze all the way to where the 2nd bay opens up to the main lake.

Offline lookinfopike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2016, 06:24 PM »
Come on dude, that's plenty of ice for you & me  ;D. As soon as I hear from ya, I'll pick ya up & we can go out, you can lead  ;D. Been wantin to try that new auger, & 1" would be a good test ! Seriously, that is just Stupid !

Sounds like a great plan Phil. But I will be running a bit late. So go ahead and go on out and I will meet you out there ;D Really really... Hopefully you will get to use the Icegator this year. All we need is mother nature to cooperate a bit better. Its coming... :tipup:

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2016, 07:55 AM »
Someone was on the ice fishing yesterday and this am in south bay

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:18 AM »
Watching the cam right now....3 dudes out there.  :icefish:  Surprised they don't go thru because of the shear weight of their ballz...lol
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:22 AM »
2 days ago i was watching the cam and ducks were still swimming around.those guys do have big balls or small brains.hahaha

Offline gaustin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:25 AM »
The word is out........This will be this weekend  ::)

Gregg Austin

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:36 AM »
Wow that looks horrible!
How many acres is this lake?
Catching Any?

Offline BC_ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2016, 10:44 AM »
Someone was on the ice fishing yesterday and this am in south bay

Somebody wants to go swimming.
}<((((°> 
                }<((((°>

Offline lookinfopike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2016, 11:14 AM »
The sad part is that there are some guys out there that just figure its all good if they see someone fishing and just hop on the ice. Be sure you know what you are getting into before you take it for granted that everything is OK.  :tipup:

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2016, 01:37 PM »
Stopped by south bay at 2:00 p.m.;  2 guys out in the middle of it. I wanted to check the ice, but left for work this morning w/ out my spud, boots & PFD. Seen a bunch of holes punched, but I was not going out there unprepared. The other sad part about these guys fishing, is that they probably don't realize, that if they go through the ice, someone else will probably have to help them out. Real smart, putting others in harms way, just to see if ya can beat everyone else out on the ice  >:(.  The north end is Fishable,.... in a boat  ;D.  No shore ice, but lots of geese & diver ducks ! Got my season pass today, so at least I am ready. For those of you that are wondering,   its $80.00 for the year, for a pass at the Prarieville boat launch, at the north end of Gull, on M-43. You have to go to the Prarieville Twp office to get it.

Offline aman12543

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2016, 01:47 PM »
Ive heard of people parking across the street from a salon to get on the ice near the bay cam. Is there another place to park? Hoping to check it out late next week.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2016, 02:11 PM »
LIMITED PARKING  is available at the party store at the south end of the lake, & also at the Salon on the west side of 2nd. bay.  BE WARNED, EVERYONE, it will not take much for these  access sites to be shut down. It is private property & the owners allow us to use it, as long as we don't Abuse it. Do NOT park where it is posted "No Parking", you will be towed. Respect the folks that live on the South end:  Be Quiet when you come in at the end of the night, don't leave trash on the ice, don't park in the road & block traffic. All this stuff happens every year & its just a matter of time, before this fishery is taken away from us. We need to police ourselves; if you see or hear someone being a jerk, say something to them. If I'm out there, you can bet I will ! This is not meant to be a Rant, just a Warning, that the owners want passed on to all of us  :tipup:.

Offline wmu1989

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2016, 02:46 PM »
I don't think the party store at the south end allows parking for people ice fishing? The marina is still open and pretty sure we can't take up their spaces as well? what other options are there?

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2016, 04:26 PM »
I hope with this rain coming the ice goes way and start fresh. Rain changing to heavy lake effect snow Saturday night would make for a slushy mess.

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2016, 09:14 AM »
Whats wrong? The ice to thin to skate across for some dinks.

Offline tazdevil300

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2016, 12:17 PM »
Can you still park at the Bible place?

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2016, 12:34 PM »
I will try & have accurate parking info in the next few days. Cant do it today or tomorrow, but will try to get it on here, by Tues.! Was planning on setting garbage cans tomorrow, but I scored some free tickets to the fishing show in Detroit, for tomorrow. Looks like its time to buy some more gear ;D.   

Offline steely456

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2016, 08:51 AM »
It's good to see the ice moving across the top right now on camera!! ;D ;D ;D
It's easier to catch fish when your not on the computer

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2016, 04:02 PM »
looks like it's a little wet in spots.