Author Topic: Recommendations on 4x4 side by side for tall guy  (Read 17931 times)

Offline robebrz

• IceShanty Rookie
Recommendations on 4x4 side by side for tall guy
« on: Jan 02, 2016, 10:57 AM »
Okay so I am looking to get a side by side that is big enough for me to sit in comfortably. I am 6 2 and average build. I currently have two four wheelers but with a growing family am looking at getting a side by side. I want to stay away from diesel due to using it for ice fishing and the hard  starts. Any ideas or recommendations from people who have real world experience would be great. Thanks.

Offline chasinfins

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Recommendations on 4x4 side by side for tall guy
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2016, 01:09 PM »
This will no doubt go into a "Chevy vs Ford" discussion ... I'm 6' 4" and not the slimmest guy on the ice.  Looked at all the major brands and narrowed my choices down to Polaris and Can-Am.  Both great units but the determining factor was ease of getting in and out of them while wearing a snowsuit.  Bought the full size Polaris.  Considered the mid size Polaris but with two grandsons the full size's 3 seats made more sense.  Good luck on your selection!
Life is hard ... even harder if you're stupid ...

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2016, 05:06 PM »
We used Polaris Rangers in the military..Had lots of tall guys in my unit and they didn't seem to have any issues getting in and out of them with all their gear on...
I think you would be good with any of the utility UTVS it's the Sport UTVS like the RZRS, Wildcats and all of those that may give you issues..

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2016, 06:36 PM »
My son is 6'5", he got the Kawasaki Teryx, the seats are so much better than the Polaris or Canned Ham.

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2016, 06:40 PM »
I'm 6'4" with long legs  my polaris ranger fits me fine....

Offline robebrz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2016, 10:02 PM »
Sounds like Ranger is edging everyone else out. Might swing by a dealer and test fit/drive one. Thanks

Offline Njdiverdan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2016, 05:12 PM »
I am 6'4" and a pretty big guy.  Went through the same dilemma and went with the Ranger.  I have a 2012 800 XP.  I think the newer 900s have even more room.  I am amazed at what this thing can do and the comfort of the ride. 

Offline RD79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2016, 04:24 PM »
i'm 6'4 and over 300 and the Polaris Ranger is the only way to go for comfort as a big guy.  I've driven them all and currently have a 2015 Ranger 900 XP and love it.  Had a '10 800XP and it was really nice as well, but this has even more room.

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2016, 09:33 AM »
I'm 6' 3" and just started looking in late fall. We're not looking for extra passenger seating and I am not impressed by the 'bench' style seating available on most mfr models. Accordingly have only been able to test drive a CanAm Commander ... secure comfy bucket seats with decent leg room. Would like to check out a Teryx but the closest Kawasaki dealer is a 3-hour drive away.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2016, 04:49 PM »
If you're in no rush, do the 3 hour drive, I was amazed at the difference in seating.  Then again I wouldn't buy Canned Ham either.   ;D

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2016, 10:15 PM »
I bought a Cam AM Commander and cant say enough good things about it. However I did buy it from a large guy and the whole reason he sold it was because the bucket seats where to small for him. All he really used it for was ice fishing, I use it for just about anything.
"Did you  clip your barbs,  you remember to clip your barbs."

Offline madman12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2016, 03:26 PM »
I really like my can am commander and own a 800xt can am 4 wheeler, both have been super reliable and I use them hard.

Offline shootsmcgee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2016, 09:07 AM »
If you gents haven't seen one yet honda is making a new SXS, the pioneer 1000. Looks like a nice unit and very well built
well if you were me then i'd be you and i really wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about...

Offline rabcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2016, 08:10 AM »
I have the Gator 825i, with full cab. works for me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.