Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2016  (Read 55638 times)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2016
« Reply #30 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:42 PM »
Nice rainbow looks like a fatty. Good luck with your ice houses. Hopefully it won't be long before you put them on the ice.
Salmonemia

Offline Cherwnvega

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 08, 2016, 07:10 AM »
1-2 inches or rain and 46 degrees on Sunday ???? agh
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all day"

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #32 on: Jan 08, 2016, 05:15 PM »
1-2 inches or rain and 46 degrees on Sunday ???? agh
High 40's and heavy rain... Uggggg :( I really hope that we don't lose all of the little ice that is here.... It would be fine if the rain froze the following day, but I don't think there will be any ice for the rain to freeze onto  ??? ???

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 08, 2016, 07:53 PM »
1/08/2016

Well today the Circus has and is coming to Town! Got my bob house out last night on Cummings beach and got onto some lake trout waters to fish. Oh what a feeling....

First put out a couple of tip ups so that i could get the house set up. There is a solid 3" of really nice black ice off the beach. Plexi glass ice so to speak. Really awesome. Actually the best ice i've fished this season so far.

Laker Taker brought his house up too this morning and we got it onto the beach, no problems.

Had my first breakfast in the new house, eggs and bacon. The new (to me) cook stove / oven worked great. Didn't look like vomit for the first time.
Late morning Laker Taker and I decided to jig deeper for lakers. We got into 36 fow. He jigged up 2 laker and I caught up. As soon as I mentioned a "fish off" between us, He proceeded to step on the peddle and ended the day with 5 lakers, me with only 2 and missed a few. Truth be told, he was using an underwater camera while i fished blind....at one time, he said he had 5 lakers down there...chum eaters. Cameras do make a difference. Tomorrow bringing the Lowrance. Need some balance.
As Capt. Black can attest, the sun was eclipsed by Laker Taker's swollen head and ego and the air actually got thinner too. I think i have a video of that from today.

Had a few visitors today, great to see the Circus coming together as if bears coming out of a sleepy hibernation. Slowly but surely, one after another throughout the day, they came out came to visit and witness how much ice there was. Getting their fix of walking on hard water.

Capt. Black came out and fished with us, LawnguyJack and Jake came out and fished in the pm, Phister stopped out during a work break, Guinea came out during her lunch break, Houndog then Psycho and Mason came out too. Had a visit by Green Ghost as someone called and complained that there were a couple of guys fishing on unsafe ice....he stopped by to "look into it"  ;)  :roflmao: Great seeing him, i got to show him my license. I always offer to show him my license before he asks cause none of my other friends are ever interested in seeing it. Only Green Ghost and Green Goblin. Great guys. I'm pretty sure i buy it for them.  :D

We got to see some first timers step onto the ice today and take some pictures. They were from Arizona and never seen a frozen lake before. Fun to watch and listen, they thought we were crazy yet they were stepping on the same ice thickness as us but in shallow water. Nice folks.
Others stopped by to take pictures too.

End of the day seemed to come too quick. Back at it tomorrow.

Will have videos later to post.

For now, here are some pics

Black ice

First laker

2nd laker

Beach house

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 08, 2016, 08:01 PM »
Great report. Glad to see you are on Newfound. Hope you don't have to pull the shack off this weekend.
Salmonemia

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 08, 2016, 09:03 PM »

Great report Jiggin! House looks good on the beach. You did a great job on that rig... It is impressive. Let's hope you can drag it out sooner than later.

Thanks for the great thread and all the entertainment you provide through your videos etc. I look forward to reading these stories, wish I lived closer to newfound, Ossipee is a quiet lake. I envy the fun time you guys have over there.

Jimmy
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 08, 2016, 09:07 PM »
Nice to see your new winter home ready to launch Jiggin.

Great to hear about all the folks coming out to join in or just have a look see.
Your lake reminds me of Cheers.  :)

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 09, 2016, 04:43 AM »
Nice photos and nice black ice !

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 09, 2016, 06:21 AM »
That's a fantastic looking Bob house...best of luck JIGGIN.  Pretty cool seeing that jig stick in the picture, my brother retired his after catching his largest laker out of Winni back in the 80's.  It hangs on his wall under the laker..  :tipup:
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #39 on: Jan 09, 2016, 07:46 AM »
As Capt. Black can attest, the sun was eclipsed by Laker Taker's swollen head and ego and the air actually got thinner too. I think i have a video of that from today.

His head is still blocking out the sun today. It was an honor to referee the fish off. Felt great to finally walk on hard water and spend time with the "Legends of Newfound Lake". "How thick is the ice? Is the ice safe?" LOL. Jiggins new bobhouse is UNBELIEVABLE. Talk about bells and whistles, great job. So now it's Game On 2016.

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Why work when you can fish?
« Reply #40 on: Jan 09, 2016, 03:40 PM »
His head is still blocking out the sun today. It was an honor to referee the fish off. Felt great to finally walk on hard water and spend time with the "Legends of Newfound Lake". "How thick is the ice? Is the ice safe?" LOL. Jiggins new bobhouse is UNBELIEVABLE. Talk about bells and whistles, great job. So now it's Game On 2016.

I agree! Nice shack/bobhouse! Up here in maine, one night on shore and it would be trashed! I would put mine on shore but don't dare!
Is it ice time yet???

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 09, 2016, 06:11 PM »
I agree! Nice shack/bobhouse! Up here in maine, one night on shore and it would be trashed! I would put mine on shore but don't dare!
It would be trashed just for being out? Does anyone put shacks out in Maine?
Salmonemia

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 09, 2016, 06:13 PM »
01/09/2016

Overcast, dark skies still lingering from Laker Takers head swelling yesterday blocking the sun. Was hoping for sunny weather and no wind so i could fly the drone today. Should of done it yesterday.....before the total eclipse.

Snowing out this morning which covered the black ice. Was a bit warmer today than yesterday too which made the top of the ice stay wet / soft. Troutfreak came out to fish and Maggot eventually made it out too. Troutfreak was a bit nervous fishing on the ice.....first ice jitters. i have to admit, It is very deceiving looking at it vs. actually reaching down and feeling it. Once you do feel it, you get a better sense of good ice rather than just looking at it. There were some cracking sounds as you walked that kept you reminded of the conditions of the ice and not to get relaxed with it.

Set up a couple of tip ups first thing and started in on breakfast, bacon and eggs. A slight interruption while cooking to catch a laker on the tip up (redfin). Afterwards, filleted my sucker and headed out to join Laker Taker on the ice. By this time he already had 2 lakers and was seeing more on the camera. Being only a couple behind, we decided to do another fish off, (that was dumb).
I brought out my Lawrence this time and kept marking them with small hits here and there and finally missed 2. Dubbed em.
Maggot fished out in deeper water with us and got a couple of bumps on his jig. Getting that good ol loving feeling back again.

Took a break for lunch, CH joined me. Had grilled ribeye and fillet for her. Ahhhhh the smell of cooking meat on the ice.....gotta love that.

After lunch went back out to jig in deeper water.

Laker Taker ended the day with 6 breaking his double digit Hyman at 11 lakers for the season so far. I only am up to 3 for the season. Needless to say, i don't expect to see the sun tomorrow either with his head swelling so much......thank god he was kind enough to leave me some air to breathe.

Later joined by LawnguyJack and Beerhog. Beerhog was nervous until he felt the ice and next thing you know, went home, brought up his house and jigged with us in deep water (house left on shore).
BackDraft and Thumper made it out to visit. Frog stopped by too, I know what he did the rest of today...getting his house and gear ready. He was siked, stupid smile from ear to ear and a twinkle in his eye.
Had a group of ladies stop by to see what this ice fishing is all about. Gave them the tour, always Fun answering some of their questions. They have a better appreciation of ice fishing now and new perspective.

Tomorrows another day.....rain and all. Yippee.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Jan 09, 2016, 06:15 PM »
Sweet!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 09, 2016, 06:44 PM »
Nice report Jiggin. Always enjoy your write ups
Salmonemia

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #45 on: Jan 09, 2016, 07:52 PM »

my friend and his both take theirs on/off the ice each time they go out....weird ???
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline lawnguyjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Masshole
« Reply #46 on: Jan 09, 2016, 08:05 PM »
It was great to see Jiggin, LT, Psycho, and Beerhog again yesterday and today. I didn't venture out past waist deep with my little one by my side. But feels great to see the CIRCUS folks back again. Can't wait too be out there with everyone again!!
Newfound (Circus)

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 10, 2016, 03:50 AM »
Oh we put them out soon as safe too, Just if we left them on shore the crack heads would rob them.
Is it ice time yet???

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #48 on: Jan 10, 2016, 10:51 AM »
01/10/2016

Went out to have breakfast in the bob house and take stuff home for the week.

Lush was out there fishing and eventually came into the house to get out of the rain. Water on the ice and can't be more than 2". With the wind blowing, had ripples on the surface of the ice. No fishing today for me, just cleaning up the left over food for breakfast, eggs, bacon and left over fillet mignon and taking stuff home. Nothing of value left in the house.

The hog brothers, Fishog and Beerhog came to check on things. Tippin stopped out for a visit too.

With the cold coming, we might have more black ice this week / weekend. Cant ask for better, Looking forward to that. Just hope it doesn't snow.

Video from this weekend forth coming....

Offline JRA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 10, 2016, 04:38 PM »
Great reports, nice to hear the circus is on the ice. We hope to be up later this week.

Good luck, Stay safe

Offline beerhog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 10, 2016, 06:24 PM »
Woohoo!!!!! let it begin nice to se the famiilar faces of the circus  house is on shore and hope to be out by the weekend  was nice fishing sat afternoon im ready

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #51 on: Jan 10, 2016, 09:01 PM »
Video from this weekend....

Newfound Circus Season 2016 episode 1......Here we Go! (Go Get Em!)

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 11, 2016, 04:43 AM »
J, Another great video ! :)

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 11, 2016, 07:20 AM »
I have to hand it to you guys going out on what appears to be "thin ice" to me! Of course, at 280 pounds, all early ice, to me, would be questionable.
Hope to see you out there and meet some of the Circus this season but I usually go out when everyone else is working, during the week...looks like a good ice making week ahead but with a couple of small snow storms in the 7 day forecast...another question...how much ice do you require before you can take out a sled or wheeler?
BTW Jiggin...love all your vids!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #54 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:13 AM »
I have to hand it to you guys going out on what appears to be "thin ice" to me! Of course, at 280 pounds, all early ice, to me, would be questionable.
Hope to see you out there and meet some of the Circus this season but I usually go out when everyone else is working, during the week...looks like a good ice making week ahead but with a couple of small snow storms in the 7 day forecast...another question...how much ice do you require before you can take out a sled or wheeler?
BTW Jiggin...love all your vids!

Thanks Mowbizz.

Yes the ice was thin....but actually 3" of solid black ice. The best i fished on this season so far. If you look at it, it appears to be only a sliver of ice but if you were to reach down and feel it, you would feel a lot better about being on it. I tell people, never trust anyone but yourself and if you dont feel comfortable, dont do it, stay on shore. Use your gut instinct and go with that. I have more respect for someone being "chicken" and not going out than being brave and then getting wet or even worse......

Would be great to bump into you on Newfound. Bring a radio and holler out on channel 5.5, i'm sure you will get a response on the weekends, not too sure about the weekdays although i plan to take some time off to catch up from the late ice.

We are hoping to push the houses out this coming weekend if the ice conditions allow it. We might need to soak the ice / snow after the snow comes in order to get it to freeze and not insulate however with high winds coming, maybe it will blow it all down the lake so we won't need to help it.

For wheelers or snowmobiles, i personally need 6" of solid black ice or more....prefer 8" really. If not black ice, then min. 8"

Thanks for watching the vids! More to come as the season progresses, I'm going to try and keep up with them instead of doing them all summer long then posting. Waaaay too much video to go through during the summer.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:32 AM »
I'm all moved in to my new house, so I'm ready for next Saturday! I spoke with ladybug last night, and hopefully she'll be out as well.  :)
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #56 on: Jan 11, 2016, 02:14 PM »
01/11/2016

Had to do a quick "rescue" of mine and Laker Taker's bob house....they were in water from the snow melting and heavy rain. Water almost up to the floor so left work, hooked on with the wheeler and pulled both onto higher (dry) ground. Gray Wolf was there to lend a hand, thanks Gray Wolf.

My house in the water

Laker Taker's house in the water

Both on dry land

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 11, 2016, 03:13 PM »
01/11/2016

Had to do a quick "rescue" of mine and Laker Taker's bob house....they were in water from the snow melting and heavy rain. Water almost up to the floor so left work, hooked on with the wheeler and pulled both onto higher (dry) ground. Gray Wolf was there to lend a hand, thanks Gray Wolf.

My house in the water

Laker Taker's house in the water

Both on dry land

This is getting to be a very trying ice season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is it ice time yet???

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jan 11, 2016, 03:29 PM »
Glad you got them off the ice. Thanks for the report
Salmonemia

Offline FishSlayer20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 11, 2016, 03:34 PM »
good Catch on the houses!! Job well done guys :clap: :clap:
I will miss my wife this winter, I'll see her in the spring!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.