The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Just a good idea  (Read 1140 times)

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just a good idea
« on: Jan 01, 2016, 01:00 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002J8YMUK/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1451674554&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=rescue+throw+bag&dpPl=1&dpID=41yQYrjU8HL&ref=plSrch

A very handy tool to have. Especially with the crappy weather we have been having. And for 40 bucks even if it hangs off the side of the pack basket or snowmobile for its entire life you have it. They are small light and most importantly keeps you away from the danger. I now I'm buying one now that I'm not aways fishing with my buddy that has 2. Just some food for thought while you patiently wait for ice
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline Ohiocatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's always a bigger fish
Re: Just a good idea
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2016, 03:06 PM »
I never forget the rope! Better to have and not need it than to need it and not have it. Thanks for the reminder for everyone

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Why work when you can fish?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2016, 03:36 PM »
I never forget the rope! Better to have and not need it than to need it and not have it. Thanks for the reminder for everyone
I leave the rope home, just send one of my buddys out first! ;D
Is it ice time yet???

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2016, 04:09 PM »
I have a float with a built in loop its a float that is used between docks and watercraft  .It is a smaller to carry and its quite a firm plastic and floats well . My 50' rope wraps around it  makes it easy to throw out to someone in need. I carry this with me all season. Years ago I had a old friend fall thru a spring hole in the late season on Crystal lake in Dry Mills .If I had one of these with me it would have been much easier pulling him to safety.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2016, 04:16 PM »
Just having a rope or throw bag with you is not enough. You have to be able to throw it accurately. The only way to get and stay good is practice. After about an hour you should be fairly accurate. Once you are there a weekly 10 minute session will keep you tuned up. Learn in your yard, not in an emergency.

If you are at the receiving end of a throw bag - Grab the rope,  not the bag. There are 70 feet of rope in the bag. If you grab the bag I have to pull out the rest of the rope before I start pulling you out of the water.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2016, 04:44 PM »
The float is a good idea woodchip. And huskies your right the learning curve should be before your trying to rescue someone. This was just a reminder or idea for people to look at
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2016, 05:08 PM »
With the warm temperatures and melting ice this week I thought this thread should be on the front page again. Let me add one thing. Keep the rope or throw bag dry. If it's wet and frozen the rope won't uncoil or come out of the bag when you try to throw it.

Offline FishHunter04

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2016, 05:15 PM »
I leave the rope home, just send one of my buddys out first! ;D

Haha ;D :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
One Does Not Simply Leave After Saying,"Last Cast."

Offline Icicle1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2016, 05:19 PM »
People. Use your heads. Not your heart. ,
Is it sometimes a fish being caught or you?

Offline BigCort

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2016, 06:45 PM »
Thanks great idea when I fish with the grumpy old men ice fishing team

Offline Shawn Breton

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2016, 06:50 PM »
Idk where everyone's been fishing but I see a lot of people saying dangerous ice iv been fishing everyday on 10inches that isn't going to just disappear over night

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2016, 07:05 PM »
we can not get  over confidant experience fishermen break though and drown every year February, march, ice with dense snow on top does not increase in thickness  and with rain an increase in water flow speeds up the thinning of ice dams get opened and closed creating changes. We all need to be extra cautious   of areas not frequented regularly.. Narrows between lakes and inlets and outlets.

Offline NickM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2016, 09:08 PM »
I'm carrying a life jacket tied to a spool of 550 cord. I don't have the spikes, but if I have the least bit of question about the ice, I keep the skimmer or another implement in my hand that would help me get a grip on the ice.

I was told once never to wear a life jacket because people would make fun of me. If you don't have the money for a $200 floating jacket, why not wear one? I don't see how it's any different than wearing the spikes. Where I'm going tomorrow had a foot in most places last weekend, and it should be fine, but it doesn't hurt anything to play it safe. I saw guys going over 20 fow when there were 2 inches of slush ice around the new year and they had zero rescue equipment. They got away with it, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.