The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: *POSTPONED* 10th Annual Bartons Cove Gathering *New Date Feb 13*  (Read 26637 times)

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 10th Annual Bartons Cove Gathering Feb. 6th
« Reply #180 on: Feb 04, 2016, 12:41 PM »
Nice attitude, man. Wasn't attacking you and who knows maybe I just misunderstood your statement. There really are a lot of features if in that area if you poke around though and they of course vary in depth based on the river levels. I'm not an expert on anything either. Good luck out there.

Just saying "you're wrong" doesn't accomplish much or invite a positive reaction. Come on. I'm wide open to learning and being corrected, so if you know something I dont, or if I said something factually wrong feel free to let me know. Otherwise it might be perceived as condescending or rude. But that's just par for the course here....

That said, there's no question that depth and bottom variations and structure can be found, but during the gathering, on what will surely be less than ideal ice, probably isn't the time for scouting for someone who has limited time there. That's better done from a boat or in better conditions. The Navionics map, like most charts, is based on low water. The cove isn't a foot deep. It's more like 4 to 8, but again, that varies. The tour boat is 40ish feet long so the draft is probably about 5 feet. I've never found a defined channel or anything in the main cove. Doesn't mean there isn't one there, just that I criss-crossed the place last summer and didn't find anything like that. Just kind of a rolling bottom contour.

Offline rickyriged

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Obsessed.
« Reply #181 on: Feb 04, 2016, 01:03 PM »
Crossin my fingers....realy need a road trip and some ice under my feet....at 140 dont need much....lol...there is no ice  my part of the state
:) Ill be home soon.:)

Offline PeterSaloom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #182 on: Feb 04, 2016, 01:27 PM »
Just saying "you're wrong" doesn't accomplish much or invite a positive reaction. Come on. I'm wide open to learning and being corrected, so if you know something I dont, or if I said something factually wrong feel free to let me know. Otherwise it might be perceived as condescending or rude. But that's just par for the course here....

That said, there's no question that depth and bottom variations and structure can be found, but during the gathering, on what will surely be less than ideal ice, probably isn't the time for scouting for someone who has limited time there. That's better done from a boat or in better conditions. The Navionics map, like most charts, is based on low water. The cove isn't a foot deep. It's more like 4 to 8, but again, that varies. The tour boat is 40ish feet long so the draft is probably about 5 feet. I've never found a defined channel or anything in the main cove. Doesn't mean there isn't one there, just that I criss-crossed the place last summer and didn't find anything like that. Just kind of a rolling bottom contour.

I apologize for the unintentional bickering. I think essentially we both have a similar idea of what's going on there.
Cheers,

Pete

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #183 on: Feb 04, 2016, 01:40 PM »
I apologize for the unintentional bickering. I think essentially we both have a similar idea of what's going on there.

It's cool, and yes, agreed.

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #184 on: Feb 04, 2016, 03:40 PM »
Well folks, as much as it pains me to do so, I am going to postpone the gathering until next week.  There is indeed safe ice.  So much so that there was a fellow out there when we got there and another father and son got on as we were there.  I jumped over the open water and meaured ~8 inches.  The problem is, as I suspected, getting on.  Here is the entry way we all use to get on:

There is no way to get on that you don't have to cross open water.   This is not a problem for me but I know many people would not feel comfortable with this. Also, the further you went away from the ramp/inner cove, the grayer and less safe the ice looked.  I would not have a problem fishing it but I can not take responsibility for inviting others out when things look like this.

With overnight temps predicted to be in the 20's and then teens next week I am sure it will lock up and be much safer.  I know this postponement will be a hardship for some but it is that it is.  I hope most of you can make it out on the 13th.

See you next week,
John

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: *POSTPONED* 10th Annual Bartons Cove Gathering Feb. 6th
« Reply #185 on: Feb 04, 2016, 04:03 PM »
Sounds good capt, cya next weekend.

PS...Shoot me a PM/Txt if u still wanna get out this weekend.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Ash82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #186 on: Feb 04, 2016, 04:12 PM »
Thanks Capt for checking and updating us. Appreciate the effort! I am hoping to make it down there next weekend!

Offline bigpick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #187 on: Feb 04, 2016, 04:59 PM »
That's a shame, I won't be able to make it the following weekend. I'll be there next year as long as mother nature is kind to us and brings us the cold. Be safe everyone.

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #188 on: Feb 04, 2016, 05:04 PM »
Thank You Capt.!   Bein safe and responsible can never be wrong!!   O.P.   :tipup:
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #189 on: Feb 04, 2016, 05:05 PM »
Thanks for the update, long forecast looks super Dooper 👍👍 Should be "A-OK" next weekend.

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #190 on: Feb 04, 2016, 05:29 PM »
Priceless it didn't happen unless you post pictures!!!!

This is a family friendly site.  Texts are accepted tho.
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #191 on: Feb 04, 2016, 05:50 PM »
Capt. appreciate the work you have done and the time you took checking the ice. Good call in my opinion and hoping next weekend is a go!!

Offline sangell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #192 on: Feb 04, 2016, 06:00 PM »
Thank you Capt, I have not been to the gathering but I sure can tell how much time you invest in this. That is very much appreciated and I am working on the calendar for next weekend. I sure want to meet all these folks.

Scott

Offline PeterSaloom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #193 on: Feb 04, 2016, 06:22 PM »
So who wants to fish this weekend?
Cheers,

Pete

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #194 on: Feb 04, 2016, 06:24 PM »
Thanks for checking guys. Safety first. Good call. I too would have fished it but would rather be able to spread out a little bit. Temps are good starting Sunday night day time and night time temps for a long stretch. You know I'll be there next Saturday :thumbsup: :thumbsup:. See everyone then. :tipup: :tipup:
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #195 on: Feb 04, 2016, 06:26 PM »
So who wants to fish this weekend?
I'm heading to the hills Saturday.

Offline Yachtzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #196 on: Feb 04, 2016, 06:28 PM »
Next week works. Thanks for the heads up and effort.

Offline Icicle1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #197 on: Feb 04, 2016, 06:29 PM »
Looking forward to new date.
Is it sometimes a fish being caught or you?

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #198 on: Feb 04, 2016, 06:47 PM »
That's a shame, I won't be able to make it the following weekend. I'll be there next year as long as mother nature is kind to us and brings us the cold. Be safe everyone.

I know that you are not the only one BP.  One of the reasons I really didn't want to have to go with the back up date.  A few people PM'd me about having taken time off from work, rearranging child care etc. in order to make it and why it hurts so much for me to have delay it.  Hopefully we will see you next year.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline Bigbellybilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bigbellybilly
« Reply #199 on: Feb 04, 2016, 06:49 PM »
Thanks for all your time checking the ice for us will try and get out next weekend to meet everyone
Bigbelly

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #200 on: Feb 04, 2016, 07:17 PM »
Dang, so close. Maybe next year! Thanks anyways

Offline sangell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #201 on: Feb 04, 2016, 08:10 PM »
Thanks Capt

Working on arranging my schedule for the new date. Thanks for putting all the effort into this. It's quite a crew and looking forward to meeting more of the addicts

Scott

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #202 on: Feb 04, 2016, 10:20 PM »
Unfortunately, I have a conflict for the following weekend. Oh well, there's always next year. Have a great time out there, guys. Thanks Capt. Shay and Big Scott for doing the legwork.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #203 on: Feb 05, 2016, 07:18 AM »
Thanks for your efforts guys!

Offline dmilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dave
« Reply #204 on: Feb 05, 2016, 07:44 AM »
No problem for me. I think it's a good call. I'll be there next week end for sure.

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
Re: *POSTPONED* 10th Annual Bartons Cove Gathering *new date Feb 13*
« Reply #205 on: Feb 06, 2016, 07:30 AM »
It got down to 7 degrees last night and after tomorrow, the temperature here is not suppose to get above Freezing.  We are going to have ice making weather right up through next weekend!

I hope many of you are able to reschedule and we will see you all next Sat.

Offline sangell

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: *POSTPONED* 10th Annual Bartons Cove Gathering *New Date Feb 13*
« Reply #206 on: Feb 06, 2016, 02:08 PM »
Hey Capt,

Angell is in, see you guys first thing and looking forward to it. Thanks again for all the organizing.

Scott

Offline budski

• IceShanty Rookie
  • thumbersault
« Reply #207 on: Feb 06, 2016, 02:09 PM »
I am still attending but have to leave after lunch or should I say feast thanks capt for your updates
flags all day

Offline RickC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #208 on: Feb 06, 2016, 04:24 PM »
Took a ride to check conditions at a few different lakes. One stop I made was at Barton's and found a few guys out there fishing. Had no problem walking right on at the access point, just a little water to go thru then good solid ice.6-8" worth.
See ya next week!

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #209 on: Feb 06, 2016, 08:05 PM »
Definitely fishable,  there were guys out there Thursday....just wasn't safe enough for a gathering of people wandering around.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.