Author Topic: Ice at Glen, Wilson, Marion?  (Read 3039 times)

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice at Glen, Wilson, Marion?
« on: Dec 31, 2015, 09:09 AM »
With the temps this week all of the ponds and sand pits are locked up with at least 3" of solid ice and starting to see ice flows on the rivers. Has anyone had a chance to check these lakes out for ice conditions? Kanop was about 1/2 covered with ice 2 days ago but tower harbor was open and a guy in a boat fishing it. I plan to at least check out 2 of the above thought i would see what you all are seeing?

Offline ksfowler

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice at Glen, Wilson, Marion?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2015, 01:05 PM »
I haven't checked any of those lakes yet. Just about drove over to Marion yesterday but decided not too. I'm ready to get on the ice I've got a new auger I'm dying to try out.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2016, 08:52 AM »
Anyone have  a report on ice conditions from this past weekend? Surely with the single digits someone made it out. With highs in the 50's this week that might have been our only good shot at hard water.

Offline gohawks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2016, 08:39 AM »
I'm moving down to Great Bend, KS this weekend and was looking for the same type of info.  Wilson is only an hour or so from GB so it's just a quick trip.  I'm originally from Iowa, where we tend to have a much longer ice season.  Just got back from an ice fishing trip up in Webster, SD where we got on some walleyes, perch, and pike. 
I thought I had the catch of a lifetime...then I threw her back so I could spend more time fishing  ;)

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2016, 01:38 PM »
Since everyone seems to have lockjaw ill post what i know. Ice at wilson and glen was 2" thick and getting weak with shorelines starting to open up. Kirwin and wilson WERE 3" thick with rotting ice. I plan to drive by Marion this weekend. Saw the first fish through the ice on social media, and have to saw those guys were crazy for going out on it. We need cold temps and FAST

Offline ksfowler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2016, 06:56 PM »
Maybe we'll get the same situation at Marion that we did last year where all the ice blew into the locks. Looking like that'll be our only chance this year

Offline Chuck_K

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2016, 06:02 PM »
Fished Kirwin today, North brush piles.  About noon the Northern half of the lakes ice sheet broke loose and moved North due to the wind.  The ice broke and had large cracks going out to the open water in the middle.  Cracks would open up to 2 feet wide and come back together then open up again for the next 2 hours.  I just was coming off when this happened and the remaining 7 guys made it off also without falling in.  It was the most dangerous time in my ice fishing career ( I am 51).   Prior to this event the ice was a rock solid 4 inches of excellent, hard ice.  However, when it broke loose 4 inches of excellent, hard ice was irrellevent.  I would NOT go back out unless there is a lot of very cold weather.

Offline GB 83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2016, 08:18 PM »
Chuck, glad all things worked out this time. I know it's mid January but in KS that's early ice. Have your spud bar and picks with ya. Having ice fishing buddy doesn't hurt either. Be safe out there. We don't need someone falling in like last yr. and losing their life over it.

Offline ksfowler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2016, 06:52 PM »
Fished kanopolis today had 3.5-4" of good ice with slushy snow on top. Caught 4 decent crappie and around 20 whites. Fished for 3 hours

Offline Bangnem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2016, 07:45 AM »
I'm going to be heading up north to hit the ice tomorrow. If anyone wants to fish shoot me a pm.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2016, 03:58 PM »
Hope your headed WAY north cause reports i have north of Salina are not safe ice....

Offline gohawks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2016, 04:08 PM »
Just got settled in at my new home in Great Bend...this ice is crap.  Too thin to fish on and keeps me from getting the bass boat out.  BUT...just throwing this out there...My buddies from back home and I will be heading back north to Webster, SD to get on the ice again in February.  I can take another guy or two to join us.  I've always liked the fishing network that I had back home so I'm hoping to get it started down here.  Tight lines.
I thought I had the catch of a lifetime...then I threw her back so I could spend more time fishing  ;)

Offline skinner80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2016, 08:11 AM »
I am from near Salina let me know if you have questions about the area.  There is not much good ice right now in my area either.

Offline quackpipe24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2016, 02:11 PM »
skinner80, i will be in that are friday wouldnt mind giving giving it a shot! anywhere safe?

Offline gohawks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2016, 06:01 PM »
I saw a post of Kanopolis having 3-5-4" almost a week ago...has anyone been there since?  Does anyone know the ice conditions?  Yesterday was warm but other than that it's been fairly cold.  Thanks

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2016, 08:19 AM »
People were fishing Sunday at the tower but the ice on the upper portion of the lake WAS NOT SAFE

Offline Bangnem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2016, 10:17 AM »
@gohawks, I too just moved here and I'm trying to do the same thing. I had a pretty good group of guys I used to fish with all the time back home, but people out here seem kinda hesitant. I've been twice. The ice I found was 5-6" clear, but sat it had a couple inches of snow on it. Fishing was good. Lots of nice gills. As well as some nice bonus fish. Shoot me a pm if you want for more info...

Offline gohawks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2016, 04:40 PM »
And to throw one more "line" out there...I have a decent 20' Ranger bass boat and am always lookin for a fishin buddy for open water.  Again, I'm out of Great Bend now.  I've only been on Wilson once but I look to hit that a lot this year.  I would also like to try Kanopolis due to the vicinity.  Milford is always on my radar but that's a bit of a haul as well as Wolf Creek.  If anyone else has good suggestions for quality bass fishing I'm all ears.  I'm always on the water on the weekends and like to hit the smaller pits after work during the week.  I used to do a lot of tournament fishing in Iowa and Missouri back home.  Hoping to maybe find some of that around here too.  Sorry, for filling up the hard water forum with bass fishing...this weekend is going to do work on the ice which is a love/hate for me. 

Offline ksfowler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2016, 08:22 PM »
According to the waterfowl report lovewell has 4-9" with 95% ice cover.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.