Author Topic: what tipups should I buy?  (Read 6454 times)

Offline burck17

• Team IceShanty Regular
what tipups should I buy?
« on: Dec 29, 2015, 05:16 PM »
I'm getting fed up with my cheap rail style tipups. I want to upgrade however can't decide what to get or to build my own. Here's my situation. I mostly fish pike and walleye with a little perch and trout in the mix. Also I would like an insulated one but its not a deal breaker. So what would you fine folks recommend to me.

Also what's a good way to store them, quick way to get leaders and hooks on and off. Mine I real up as much as I can but they make a mess and hooks get tangled on and caught on everything. I know they are rookie question but all help is greatly appreciated.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: what tipups should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2015, 05:20 PM »
I use a mix of heritage lakers and flat polar style tip ups.  I use foam hole covers to keep the hole from freezing over.  They are my personal preference but I've been using them for decades now and they work very well for me.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline PikeFisherman325

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2015, 05:55 PM »
beaver dam tip ups! Great investment. :thumbsup: the only thing about them I don't like is that the painted ones when water gets under the paint, the paint peels off. :'(

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2015, 08:12 AM »
beaver dams.trouble free for years and  can hand them down thru the family.they last a long time.

Offline AlphaPlex20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2015, 08:19 AM »
I prefer the Frabill black circular tip ups.  They are insulated and come with everything you need.  The built in pocket is nice to store some extra tackle.  I like how well they insulate the hole.  Good luck!

Offline Tripper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2015, 04:18 PM »
  I have a mix of traps in my arsenal. My favorite are my Jack Traps. I know they aren't cheap, however they are built right. Re greasable trip tubes and polyurethaned wood to protect and help keep ice from sticking to them stainless steel and Aluminum parts for corrosion and durability protection.

India Hill traps are nice as well as Heritage traps.

Just my opinion here.

Tight lines. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2015, 04:27 PM »
beaver dams.trouble free for years and  can hand them down thru the family.they last a long time.

I agree with the Beaver Dams.  I have some of the 25th anniversary editions, and one that is older.  Never had an issue with them.  Have never touched them, other than new line.  Still working like brand new.

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2016, 07:40 PM »
HT Polar Therms.  Have an extendable flag so you can see it above snow, room for storage, and insulates the hole.  Under $20.

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2016, 09:01 PM »
Black Magic. Tip-ups. This will be my 8th + year using them.
http://www.blackmagictipups.com/
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2016, 11:21 AM »
Beaver Dam flags here. I'm still running ones I bought in the 80s. I used to use the Frabill Pro-Therms. but the flags are too short when the snow get's high, they freeze up easier than the BD's and have shorter shafts.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2016, 04:49 PM »
Two of my Beaver Dams I got when I was 18. that makes them 34 years old. I still use them over my newer ones that are 20 years old. Never have had to re-grease them. Did have to get a new flag. When you store them, store them on there sides. Never straight up and down. I also just put a thick rubber band on one side. To hook my hook to when not in use.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2016, 09:18 AM »
I have a bunch of different brand traps because I enjoy trying out different designs. Some have slightly different advantages over others, but they all do the job. Have Beaver Dam, Frabill Hardwood, Polar, Heritage and Jack. The heritages have been my workhorses over the years and landed the most fish. The Jacks are my favorite. I don't insulate holes. It comes down to what you are comfortable with, and have confidence in. Quality is pretty high on all those brands. The Jacks take quality and craftsmanship to the highest possible level. Their price reflects that. Different budgets for everyone, mine isn't the highest. But you could start by simply buying one or two traps a season and gradually upgrading your set into them. Heritages are a little more reasonable and still great traps.

Offline SDSPORTSMAN20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2016, 06:49 PM »
 I have tried Beaver Dams, Frabills, HTs, and Jack Traps and my overall favorite is the Beaver dam. They are the strongest and smoothest tip up money can buy. If you are looking for an insulated tip up I would go with the Frabill pro thermal.

Kyle_J

« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2016, 06:56 PM »
Another vote for Beaver Dams  :tipup:

Offline hardwaterwalker814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2016, 04:12 AM »
Surprised no one mentioned the 40 up tip ups  :tipup:
A watched flag never flies

Offline snowman67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2016, 08:14 PM »
Beaver dams. Mine are around 20 years old and still work like the day they were made

Offline Kevin in maine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2016, 05:00 AM »
Jack Traps. Beaver dams are just snowmobile speed bumps around here.

Offline conesuscrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2016, 05:33 PM »
I have 2 Polar and 3 Frabils.  Last year the Polars froze up on me.  I think it's time to start replacing them a couple per year.

Offline striper50trout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish hard, live long!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2016, 05:42 PM »
I'll vote for Heritage and BPS jack trap ripoffs.
I would stay away from Frabil hardwood, nothing but problems for me

Offline AlphaPlex20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2016, 11:42 PM »
Those Black Magic tip ups look interesting.  I will be ordering some for sure in the near future.   :tipup:

Offline conesuscrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2016, 06:54 AM »
I just bit the bullet and ordered two BD's.  I can't wait to try them out.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2016, 09:10 AM »
I just bit the bullet and ordered two BD's.  I can't wait to try them out.
when I changed over from the cheap polars I couldn't believe how much smoother,less wind flags ,barely any maintenance and just a all around great tip up that will last many years.i have a couple of the new style jolly Rodgers and 2 that are almost 30 years old and still icing northerns.my  polars just kept freezing up in real cold weather and now sit in a box.beaver dams don't freeze up and I would recommend some hole covers too. keeps your investment off the ice so you wont have to chip it out.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2016, 10:47 AM »
I have 2 Polar and 3 Frabils.  Last year the Polars froze up on me.  I think it's time to start replacing them a couple per year.

Or get a tube of grease for a few bucks and repack them. 

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2016, 11:33 AM »
I'll vote for Heritage :tipup: :thumbsup:

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2016, 09:44 AM »
Don't see beaver dams much in my part of the world, nobody stocks them.  I've had good luck with HT's for many years.  I can NOT recommend Frabil Artic Fire tip-ups.  I have a set of 5, about 10 years old and very lightly fished, only for walleyes.  One of them froze up on me once, but was fine after I refilled the tube with Frabil tip-up lube.  I pulled my set out of storage last night (double bagged in plastic and stored in my garage).  They were covered in rust and corrosion! Everywhere - flag stems and springs, spindles, spools, even the wing nuts.  The chrome plating is flaking off everywhere, exposing the metallic surface underneath. I had to scour everything with Scotch-Brite pads to make them useable.  Even the orange flags have turned brown where they wrap around the flag stems.  Another year or two of this and they will be JUNK. >:(

Offline conesuscrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2016, 07:40 PM »
My two new BD's showed up today.  Man are they well made!  I can't wait to get them set up and put them to use.  I plan to get or make hole covers too, good advice thank you. 

Offline snotsickles08

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 26, 2016, 02:00 PM »
i have a square style ht, round yellow insulated frabill, and the ht big game tip up. I like the ht big game tip up because it has a flag that extends and also retracts. it goes up high and everything is orange so you can actually see it. also the way the flag sets it nice because you don't get false alarms like with my round style frabill.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 26, 2016, 08:22 PM »
My two new BD's showed up today.  Man are they well made!  I can't wait to get them set up and put them to use.  I plan to get or make hole covers too, good advice thank you.
Enjoy my man.  Ive been fishing them for damn near 50 years and now collect and refurbish the older ones.  I have 25-30 of them now.  Wife thinks I'm crazy because you can only have 2 lines in CO. 

Offline captstevepc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2016, 03:12 PM »
Heritage lakers are the best for me.. I have many kinds and if i were to do it again i would just buy these for everything. they work great and are reliable well made tip ups.

Offline Icicle1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2016, 03:22 PM »
Heritage!
Is it sometimes a fish being caught or you?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.