Author Topic: Boots  (Read 5735 times)

Offline ejdelvo28

• Team IceShanty Regular
Boots
« on: Dec 27, 2015, 10:10 PM »
My old hunting boots are wearing out...looking to invest in a really good pair, so money isn't much of an issue.  Fire away!

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Boots
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2015, 10:19 PM »
If I had $200 to spend on a pair of boots for ice fishing I would buy a $60 pair of mickeys. Not the best for long walks but keep your feet toasty with just a thin pair of socks.

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2015, 10:25 PM »
one vote for Cabela"s Trans Alaska lll's here.

Offline 2MuchStuff

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'll be home after dark thirty
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2015, 10:48 PM »
Lacrosse Iceman
"if you don't know where to start,go back to the beginning" Alvin Soady.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2015, 11:01 PM »
keen polar

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2015, 07:42 PM »
Another vote for mickeys. One of the warmest boots out there and also one of the cheapest!
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2015, 02:29 AM »
one vote for Cabela"s Trans Alaska lll's here.

X2

Offline yotyfox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2015, 09:46 AM »
Bunny or Mickey boots

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2015, 03:33 PM »
I have the black Mickeys'.  There's a problem with these if you're not familiar.

I have to wear long underwear with mine, if I dont, my socks slip down and the top of the boot rubs, actually the better word is cuts into my calf.  When I wear bibs, I really dont want long underwear on. Outside of wearing long underwear or finding socks that come up past your knees, does anyone have any solution to this?

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2015, 10:30 PM »
I know this is off the subject of boots but why don't you like long underwear under your bibs? That and a fleece mid layer are all I wear under my bibs.
Back to boots, 200 gram thinsulate when temperatures are above zero, 400 gram for subzero. Buy whatever brand fits best.

Offline yotyfox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2015, 10:37 PM »
Fold your socks over the top of the boots and it will eliminate the socks sliding down and the chafing

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2016, 11:12 AM »
I just noticed Cabela's has their trans Alaska ll's on sale.  If you're looking for the warmest boot I've ever had the pleasure of wearing, you can find it there on sale.

Offline woodyth

• IceShanty Rookie
  • IS there ICE YET!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2016, 09:54 PM »
Been out today with my baffin impacts. I had to use cabelas gift cards and they only had a 14 in "snow camo" but as warm as these things are, they could be bright PINK and I wouldn't care. -4 today walking off the ice, not even the feeling of cold in my feet at least. warm as a bug in a rug and LIGHT. When you have feet as big as I do, it's hard to find a boot that is light. I weighed my 1600g pronghorn hunting boot against these and even though they look bigger, a total of 5 lbs lighter. total shipping weight was 8lbs. It's amazing. My fingers and feet were frostbit when I was a kid and for the first time I think I don't have to worry about my toes getting cold. again this is just my initial outing with them, but as cold as it was today, it should be a pretty good indication that A my boots were a GREAT purchase, and my Otter xth cabin will keep me warm in the nastiest conditions!
Firemen do it best!
IX-XI-MMI NEVER FORGET!!!

PS3: WOODYTH:bang:

Offline CatskillsFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2016, 10:03 PM »
Muck boots are great..

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2016, 07:58 AM »
I have heard a lot of good things about the muck artic pro boots
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline Spaceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2016, 01:02 PM »
Muck boots artic pro.   Can't beat them.   Not the best for real long walks but very comfy and keep my toes nice and warm.  I found my pair for 110 bucks at local store.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2016, 01:32 PM »
I'm fan of Steger Mukluks.  They are really warm and very lightweight.  I have a pair of Ojibwa that are entirely moose hide that does require some water proofing to be applied, but in the cold, the water just frosts on the outside if they get wet.  I will even wear these to bed if I'm spending the night in a sleeper shack.  The great thing about not being hard rubber is the fact that that rubber sole doesn't get cold, which eventually gets through to the inner boot, like a lot of pack boots do.  With Mukluks you want a size or two larger so you can add an additional wool insert.  The boots have a wool liner and one insert, but adding more increases their warmth.  Just by the nature of the way they're made they are plenty warm. 

For hunting I have Camuk Extremes, which have a water proof camo upper, and the bottom portion of the boot is entirely rubber, instead of moose hide covered with a light coat of silicone type rubber on the soles and sides.   So these boots are not quite as warm as the moose hide ones, but they've pretty much replaced my late fall early winter hunting boots. 

No I will say that using them while sitting in a stand with a metal platform, I will eventually feel the cold on the bottom of my feet eventually, but standing up and shifting my weight puts pressure on my feet to help restore circulation.  I really like not having a hard rubber sole boot because you can actually feel the ground with your feet, almost like wearing moccasins.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2016, 08:24 PM »
Mucks, one pair for ice fishing/hunting and another for work.  Absolutely love them, very comfortable.  Arctic sport is what I have

Offline eyeball15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2016, 06:09 PM »
Mickeys get my vote, only thing is they are very heavy after long walk across the ice I feel it in my legs..

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2016, 12:10 AM »
If money is no object, then Baffin Apex are hard to beat. Light and warm, and lace up tight for a firm fit. I have walked, fished, and skidooed in mine, no complaints.

Offline waltman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2016, 12:36 AM »
LACROSSE

Offline noam1700

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2016, 11:38 AM »
Muck Arctic Pros for me.  Have been buying exclusively Muck brand boots for a few years now.  Most comfortable boots I have found.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Sep 04, 2016, 04:29 AM »
If money is no object, then Baffin Apex are hard to beat. Light and warm, and lace up tight for a firm fit. I have walked, fished, and skidooed in mine, no complaints.

Same for me. They are almost too warm, lol.

J-

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Sep 04, 2016, 06:52 AM »
Picked up a pair of Baffin Impacts last year. Fit great after wearing them around the house a bit to 'mold' to my feet. Kept me plenty warm both around home in Iowa and during a trip north to Winnipeg.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Sep 04, 2016, 01:06 PM »
If it for ice fishing mainly I got kamik ice crushers great boot you can get spare liners for them etc go to gear core they give10%off on boot and gear cause there a site sponsor.. if looking for light weight boot for hike in hunting or tree stand etc get a different style just a suggestion but the kamiKS are warm and I wear mine every winter.. last two year they have worked great.. of corse I wear wool sock and I have a Peet drier I use all the time with them I put my Peet drier over my air duct for the furnace and dry the liners separately from the boots.. .. if feet get damp dry them for sure.. nothing gets you colder then wet feet.. 

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Sep 04, 2016, 01:37 PM »
 ;D Definetely Lacrosse. Keeps the tootsies warm and not too hard on the wallet either
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Sep 04, 2016, 05:10 PM »
If it for ice fishing mainly I got kamik ice crushers great boot you can get spare liners for them etc go to gear core they give10%off on boot and gear cause there a site sponsor.. if looking for light weight boot for hike in hunting or tree stand etc get a different style just a suggestion but the kamiKS are warm and I wear mine every winter.. last two year they have worked great.. of corse I wear wool sock and I have a Peet drier I use all the time with them I put my Peet drier over my air duct for the furnace and dry the liners separately from the boots.. .. if feet get damp dry them for sure.. nothing gets you colder then wet feet..
I had the Kamik Ice crushers size 15 but when I put on my creepers Koorkers (I think) they rubbed the instep and the boot cracked and leaked in several places. I used he boots 3 times sent them back to Kamik NO GO on the Warranty I was told by them as soon as you put creepers on it voided the warranty.... So guess what brand of boot I got for X-mas last year Kamik Greenbay  they were warm and held up well.
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Sep 04, 2016, 05:56 PM »
Buddy of mine has the same boot but made for ll bean .. his are cracked at the instep mine are not and he still recommends them lol's ..don't know if his dry rotted or to big for his feet or what .. but for sure are cracked mine are 14's and in good condition still... any how kamiKS are good boots plus 10 % off at gear core sweetens the deals..

I have had sorels Canadian made boot and some hodgemans that are good but to tell you the truth the kamik won't slit open when bumped by the auger..like sorel will same with hodgeman boots I also had the instep problem on my sorel boots cause they were to big..

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Sep 05, 2016, 03:39 PM »
I said it before and I'll say it again----Baffis Titans!!! :clap: :clap:
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Sep 05, 2016, 03:46 PM »
Korkers TundraJack.  Only boot in the world designed specifically for ice fishing.  You can buy most sizes for $115 (half retail price)on Amazon right now.  I will never buy ice boots and a separate pair of cleats again.
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.