Author Topic: Favorite depths?  (Read 2346 times)

Offline landgills

• IceShanty Rookie
Favorite depths?
« on: Dec 22, 2015, 08:56 PM »
Just curious what specific depths everyone is looks for. Walleye, perch, crappie, pike..... Anything. I finally bought a vexilar and I'm planning on taking advantage of everything about it.

Offline andrlimo

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Favorite depths?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2015, 11:41 PM »
You should ask for specific lakes and species. Someone on here can probably help you out but the information will be different for different lakes.

Offline Sapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2015, 01:02 PM »
Try several depths in a new lake. Then zero in on the one that is most productive.

Offline JADWRENCH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2015, 09:36 AM »
Electronics are the best tool a fisherman has today. Use your flasher to find fish and then see if they're active if they are not move to the next spot. You don't always need
 to fish were everybody else is.

Offline rippen.lips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2015, 04:06 PM »
Shallow lakes I start close to shore and drill holes in a straight line out towards the deeper water....  deep lakes I start drilling my holes around 12 ft and work my way deeper i just jig each hole for 3 Min's unless i see active fish than i hang in that hole till the bit stops and i move on to the next hole
normally morning and evening I'm shallow and 11 till 2 I'm deepest

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2015, 08:31 PM »
One lake I fish 27' is magic.  Other lakes I like less than 5

Offline Thomasjuno

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2015, 03:24 PM »
I like to start around 20 fow for perch and then move around from there

Offline BigTen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2015, 11:06 PM »
So thought to answer since every body of water is unique.  That being said there are a pile of fish caught between 10-20 feet.

Offline gohawks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2015, 02:42 PM »
Depends on the species but IMO, I look for contour lines/depth changes.  That IMO is the most important besides other factors such as some form of nearby structure.  I would argue that contours/depth changes could be considered as structure in some form though.  When I visit new lakes, I'll target 10-20ft with nearby depth change, whether shallow or deep. 
I thought I had the catch of a lifetime...then I threw her back so I could spend more time fishing  ;)

Offline diesel doctor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2015, 03:06 PM »
Congratulations on the Vexilar!  A map recon of the lake prior to heading out will save time on eliminating nonproductive areas.

Offline moab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2015, 08:02 PM »
Look for edges (weeds, old shorelines), funnel areas and transitions (mud/rock).  There is no magic depth.  Lots of our lakes don't even offer those depths.

Offline IceIceCrappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2016, 04:54 PM »
What depth is best to target jumbo perch?

Offline iceslick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2016, 01:35 PM »
rippen.lips (reply#4): Good general approach when little else is known about an individual lake. No sense wasting time waiting for fish to come to you.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2016, 01:40 PM »
You might look for holes where others have been fishing. Cut a whole and see what the depth there is. Look for signs that people fished the holes for a time. Or the idea of cutting holes from shallow to deep and checking for activity, if you don't see fish don't spend too much time there.

Keep it safe! JDL

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2016, 03:17 PM »
Also pay attention to time of year. Late winter perch school up in the deep water and suspend. Some of our lakes are 100+ ft deep. You really gotta drill a ton of holes to keep following them around. In shallower prairie type lakes, set up near the dam and wait til dusk. Sooner or later the party will start. That's my favorite tactic cuz I get to sleep in.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Zelecki15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2016, 03:46 PM »
I have had a lot of luck doing the same in shallow lakes, not sure what brings them into the dams, but it works every time, well almost everytime.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.