Author Topic: Cold Lake  (Read 5784 times)

Offline Shrubs

• IceShanty Rookie
Cold Lake
« on: Dec 22, 2015, 07:59 PM »
           Anyone know the ice conditions?  Thanks

Offline KenH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cold Lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2015, 05:51 PM »
From what I am being told there isn't any!!!

Offline walleyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Em !!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2015, 09:59 AM »
Not a stitch of ice yet,, you could go out in a boat if you wanted.
Westerner by birth, Canadian by law, Albertan by the grace of God.

Offline walleyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Em !!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2015, 02:54 PM »
Sorry gentlemen I gave a false statement this morning.

I wasn't into town for about 4 days so I never went by the lake but we went in today and I went by the lake and it is indeed now iced over. I am sure it's not ready for much more than foot travel as yet but in a week or so it should be ready for quad or sled travel in the large bats for sure.

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2015, 06:27 PM »
Thanks  walleyes  for the up date.
Should freeze nice and thick and clear if it does not snow .
Just like this video from a few years back !.

Click on picture .
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline Shrubs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2016, 07:46 PM »
            Thanks for the report Walleyes can't wait to get up there.  On another note does anyone know a place around Cold Lake to park a holiday trailer in the winter time?  Hookups would be nice but not necessary.  Thanks!

Offline whitewhisperer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hear that? shh.... its a white whisper!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2016, 05:12 PM »
How's the ice from the provincial park? Ride a sled out yet?
Hear that? shh.... its a white whisper!

Offline walleyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Em !!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2016, 07:19 PM »
I'm not sure I haven't been into town for about, a week now so I haven't went by the lake. But I would assume it would be safe to start venturing out. I mean,, don't drive on a head across the lake or anything. Start out and drill a couple holes and feel your way out. Just common sense stuff.

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2016, 06:54 AM »
Heard the lake is a Go for sleds and ATV.  6- 8 inches.
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2016, 08:18 AM »
Not so.  Have been walking out on the main part of the lake.  Yesterday walked out 700 metres from shore and found ice thickness around 4  3/4 inches.  One hole was less than that.  Temperature rose to -8 c. last night and it has snowed a couple of cms. with 10 cm. in the forecast.  French Bay has around 8 - 10 inches of ice, but the thickness varies.  I certainly would not head out on the main part of the lake without checking the ice depth for myself.
Winter is the time of year toward which all that has gone before
seems but a preparation....winter, a quiet acceptance of what is
to come....Sigurd F. Olsen

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2016, 09:41 PM »
Thanks for an update littleoldlady. 4.5  is not enough  for sled or atv
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2016, 04:57 PM »
Any updates on the ice after this cold weekend .

How thick is the ice....any trucks on it yet ?
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline captainslug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2016, 12:44 AM »
I'd like an update too.  Not only on ice conditions but also are the lakers biting?
Just remember the worst day of fishing is still better than the best day at work!

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2016, 12:59 AM »
X2

Thanks!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline simmered

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2016, 10:12 AM »
Was out in front of the marina on friday. 12" ice with less in some areas. Would be good to go with quads and sleds. Lakers were biting good in front of the marina

Offline walleyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Em !!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2016, 02:36 PM »
Lots of tents out in front of the marina this morning,, slaughter is in full force. Some vehicles out a couple hundred yards. Looked like a couple off of the provincial camp site point.

Offline Shrubs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2016, 07:13 PM »
           Thanks for the report Walleyes.  Have a trip planned for family day weekend and I can't wait.  Got some new glo tubes I really want to try out. 

Speaking of slaughter we kept a couple last year and I honestly wasn't impressed at all with how they tasted.  Don't think I'll be keeping any from now on.  Sounds like people keep them all the time though and like them maybe we got some bad ones I dunno.

Offline bigtroutalberta

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2016, 10:54 AM »
Heading there on weekend ,NEVER did like lake trout to eat ,But sure like catching them see you out there ,

Offline walleyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Em !!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2016, 06:16 PM »
           Thanks for the report Walleyes.  Have a trip planned for family day weekend and I can't wait.  Got some new glo tubes I really want to try out. 

Speaking of slaughter we kept a couple last year and I honestly wasn't impressed at all with how they tasted.  Don't think I'll be keeping any from now on.  Sounds like people keep them all the time though and like them maybe we got some bad ones I dunno.

You know boys I certainly have nothing against a man keeping fish to eat Lord knows I keep my share of walleye and perch. And I spend many day on the open water chasing lakers but what bothers me is just the way ice fishing for lakers is done you guys know what I mean. How many people actualy know how to handle a fish properly. We all see the way they treat these fish and it's just compounded when it's cold. To make things worse we have a back asswards fisheries department in this province that insists people sort through 90% of what they catch in order to get to one that is big enough to keep. The ironic thing of it is,, it's the big ones that are gross to eat. Lakers are a poor eating fish but the smaller ones between 50 - 60cm aren't all that bad if fried up good. It just blows my mind how this fishery is being mismanaged. Why wouldn't they be turning it into a trophy fishery this is something that could be a world renowned fishery. The lake is loaded with trout it's hard to catch anything but. The trick is to catch one that is of size. Atleast in the summer one rarely even has to bring the smaller ones into the boat just release them at the side but this can't be done in the winter. Personely I hate to see the amount of pressure the fish get in the winter cause I know how the majority of them will be treated. I don't fish for them through the ice,  I give them a break. I have made a conscious decision not to bother them in the winter. What I have seen through the summer is these are not natourisly tough fish. I have treated many a laker quite well while open water fishing for them and had to spend a great deal of time ressesitating them at the side of the boat as they flap 20' away and turn belly up. How would you know they do this when ice fishing.. No for me it's not worth the chance.

But again this is just a choice I have made,, I make no judgment on anyone. All I suggest is please treat these fish with extra care and please educate people if you see them treating them rough,, they can't handle it.

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2016, 09:48 PM »
Walleyes, I agree with you.  So many fish get slightly and not so slightly frozen before released,  Can't imagine them surviving.   

I fish it in the open water.  Way more fun catching a laker in open water than frozen.  A quick turn and they small ones are off and gone. 

P.S.  I would love to see that lake become a trophy lake for lakers.   

Offline bigtroutalberta

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2016, 11:56 AM »
SHOULD BE A TAG LAKE ONLY ,do fish it in winter but have been catching lakers for 25plus yrs and we take very good care of them ,but the mortality rate on lake trout is high ,be ready have camera, tape,  plyers hookouts with you and get back fast. cheers see you  out there ,

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2016, 06:40 AM »
Heading out to cold lake  Feb 6 . Should be very good fishing because of limited  of fishermen this year on the thin ice. Heard its still 9 inches of ice . Maybe less after this weekend.  Anyways going to have a good fish fry !
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline Shrubs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2016, 08:45 PM »
            I've only fished this lake a couple of times but from what I can gather and my experience the amount of fish isn't the problem but the amount of bigger fish caught on average has gone down.  With the amount of pressure this lake gets imho tag is probably the best solution.  You can't go to a zero keep because the fish will eat themselves out of food.  A slot size or reduction in the minimum size will still result in to much harvest.  I know a lot of people don't believe in the tag system but I'm pretty convinced that in the future we will see more and more of it on heavily fished lakes and I don't see a better option of controlling the take.

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2016, 08:14 AM »
It would be nice to see two tags given out per person . 75cm and over  tag and  a 75cm and under tag
But do we really need them . The lake is so big ,and 90 % of the fishermen  fish only the Alberta side.
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline cube3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2016, 12:45 PM »
SHOULD BE A TAG LAKE ONLY ,do fish it in winter but have been catching lakers for 25plus yrs and we take very good care of them ,but the mortality rate on lake trout is high ,be ready have camera, tape,  plyers hookouts with you and get back fast. cheers see you  out there ,

I believe the Bio in Cold Lake had requested tags be brought in a few years back. The lake, however, is a joint jurisdiction lake and Saskatchewan said they wanted no part of fishing tags. So they just increased the min. size for retention.

Unless Sask. brings in tags, and given how popular the idea is here as it is, it's unlikely to happen.

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2016, 07:20 PM »
Heading  out feb 14  solo . should be a good one ,anyone else going ?
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline Shrubs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2016, 09:34 PM »
Heading out tommorow until Tuesday.  Hoping for a fun trip will post an update or two.  Good luck Homewrecker and anyone else making the trip this weekend.  Wind is supposed to be a bit brisk tommorow afternoon but other than that not looking to bad.  Kids never enjoy a quad ride across a frozen lake when it's minus 30.

Offline Shrubs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2016, 07:25 PM »
Fished last night for an hour or so out by the marina, Buddy and I both landed a couple smaller lakers to start off the trip.  Today had its spurts and for the most part we were marking fish steady in 95 to 125' of water but getting them to hit it hard enough was a bit of a struggle.  Tried all sorts of tubes spoons and buck tails but only landed a few smaller ones until the end of the day when my old man tagged a good one.  Quick weigh at 15lbs and a picture and back down she went. 

Offline Shrubs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 15, 2016, 11:07 PM »
                Well back home now after a pretty good trip.  Was planning to fish one more day and come back tommorow but our 3 year old daughter has had about enough of Cold Lake and with the weather forecast not being great for today we decided to travel back.  Yesterday was pretty good in the morning and then died off hard in the afternoon.  There was a short rush in the shoulder hour before sundown but that was it.  Here is a few pics from the trip and sorry for the blotched out photos but this spot isn't mine to share and judging by the lack of people for miles around I feel it's proper not to openly advertise.

Offline captainslug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 16, 2016, 01:59 PM »
Really nice ones.  Its always great to see the kids catching too. I'm always being "out fished" by my kids now.  But I hope that just means I have taught them well and to respect our limited resources.

I see you have your vehicle on the ice.  What was the ice thickness like?  Were there more vehicles driving on?  I'd like to take my boy up there but, as my knee has been shot for a few years now  :-\ and hence walking any sort of distance is out, I have to drive on the ice to fish.   :tipup:  :tipup:
Just remember the worst day of fishing is still better than the best day at work!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.