Author Topic: Need line!  (Read 2588 times)

Offline calgary-john

• Team IceShanty Regular
Need line!
« on: Dec 20, 2015, 06:46 PM »
Picking up a 36" Medium Fenwick elite ice tech rod for my Outoodr Walleye fishing. What kind of line should I grab? I have been using 17lb Nanofil on a Medium heavy rod and I don't feel the smaller #5 jigging raps.

Offline Dubya

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Need line!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2015, 09:16 PM »
I run 6 lb seaguar abrazzx on most of my walleye setups.  Has decent feel with jigging raps, chubby darters and other lures that are a touch lighter.

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2015, 09:35 PM »
Picking up a 36" Medium Fenwick elite ice tech rod for my Outoodr Walleye fishing. What kind of line should I grab? I have been using 17lb Nanofil on a Medium heavy rod and I don't feel the smaller #5 jigging raps.
I run the Stroft 7.9# test line on my walleye rod.  It is the 27" medium action Fenwick Elite Tech Ice rod with a Flueger President reel.  I don't like really heavy lines as I don't have my drag set much over 5 pounds anyway.  (I am a huge fan of using proper drag, and then size my line just a bit heavier than the drag.)  I use 2.2# on my UL, 4# on my ML, and the 7.9# on the M.  All are Fenwick Elite Tech Ice rods, and they all do very well with Stroft line.

Stroft is SUPER small in diameter, and has great knot strength.  Has a little stretch like all monofilament lines, but not nearly as much as most of them.  It is a German line, and if you know Germans at all, they over-engineer everything; therefore, it works REALLY well.  I was just told about this line a few months ago before ice season started, and I decided to give it a shot.  I am now in the process of switching ALL of my reels over to Stroft.  Even my open water rods, surf rod, and fly fishing tippet.  I have the 1.5# and the 2.2# stroft on my palm rods, and it is amazing what that stuff can do. 

I've been fishing for almost 40 years, and I've never seen a line like Stroft.  Absolutely love it.
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline calgary-john

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2015, 06:14 PM »
Had to upsize the road, got a 42" St Croix in Medium and put 8# Fireline on it, they did not have the stroft.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2015, 10:52 AM »
As for tip ups,Use a 6foot leader of Floro leader material,not just floro,backed up with 20lb braid of your liking

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.