Author Topic: How long is too long?  (Read 9582 times)

Offline GooserWI

• IceShanty Rookie
How long is too long?
« on: Dec 08, 2015, 07:02 PM »
How long do you keep your catch in the freezer? If i'm able to, maybe 3 months? Does this seem too long to keep frozen? I use a vacuum sealer to store meats and fish to maintain it good for prolong periods.

Offline dstaples002

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How long is too long?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2015, 07:43 PM »
My uncle is a butcher and he told me as long as you fillet them frozen or semi frozen, then package and freeze its good for about 4 months. the key is to not let it thaw completely while cleaning the fish. I usually keep mine less than 2 months. nothing worse than wasting fish.

hope this helps.

Darren

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2015, 07:46 PM »
It depends on the fat content. Fatty fish lose their flavor quickly. Trout are best before 6-8 wks.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline GooserWI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2015, 08:42 PM »
Nice, I learned something new, process fish while frozen = lasts longer.

Thanks for the advice.

Offline dstaples002

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2015, 06:33 AM »
No problem.   ;D

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2015, 06:38 AM »
I vac seal mine too. But I've found fish that have been in the freezer for a year, ate it and never died once and it tasted fine.

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2015, 11:07 AM »
Quote from: Spider1
But I've found fish that have been in the freezer for a year, ate it and never died once and it tasted fine.
Good thing you haven't died once, it'd be kind of hard to die twice! ;D I've eaten year old vacuum sealed fish too and it tasted fine. Use your judgment.
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline Perch_Whisperer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2015, 01:19 PM »
Put water in the bag and freeze it into a block of ice. No freezer burn and  will keep for at least a year.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2015, 02:22 PM »
I agree with Sir, depends on if they are oily or fatty fish. Salmon/tuna doesn't age well in the freezer, best to eat it as soon as possible. White, flaky fish like perch or walleye you can get away with several months or more easily.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2015, 09:39 PM »
last year a gentlemen in Montana got arrested for having more than his possession limit on trout and it included canned as well as frozen fish. I vacuum seal my fish, but I prefer to eat it before it hits the freezer and consume it as fast as I catch it (except for those headed to the smoker). The way I figure it , fish stay fresher when they are swimming in the water.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2015, 01:37 PM »
I clean, fillet and place in zip lock, add water to cover completely, and freeze...have had year old fish that have had no problems.  If I suspect freezer burn I throw away.  But 95% thaw fine...I usually deep fry mine with a beer batter and have at a party...so most people are half cocked anyway and wouldn't be able to tell if there bad or not  ;D
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Offline dstaples002

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2015, 03:24 PM »
Thatta Boyyyy :cookoo: :thumbsup:

Offline milo44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2015, 11:47 AM »
i use freezer bags put meat in bag fill with water and freeze last atleast a year  still taste great..also have heard of using cardboard milk jugs   

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2015, 12:56 PM »
i use freezer bags put meat in bag fill with water and freeze last atleast a year  still taste great..also have heard of using cardboard milk jugs
i have had fish in deep freeze for 1 season,frozen in water you get no burn
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline English

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2015, 03:56 PM »
Not sure because all of ours gets ate within a month or two...usually quicker.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2015, 10:02 PM »
I have tried seal- a- meal bags and freezing them in a block of ice.  Block of ice is better I think.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2015, 12:28 AM »
I eat it a year later and like others have said water in a ziplock bag and freeze.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2015, 09:09 AM »
My bro's and I used to do the old 'water in a jug' trick a few years back. What I find works better is to wrap a piece of fish in Saran wrap---roll it on the wrap and tuck the ends in so that it's completely sealed and won't unwrap. Then put it in a freezer bag.

This prevent freezer burn but fatty fish lose their flavor by other means---it seems the oil in the fish migrates into the muscle and sort of goes rancid(off in taste anyway).
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2015, 08:03 PM »
I keep enough for two meal, don't have to worry about burn or fillets getting lost in the shuffle. Another plus is I have an excuse to go out again. ;)

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2015, 08:15 AM »
one of my pet peeves---people who kill fish only to freeze it---and say they will eat it later---or the famous one-i will give it away---i will only freeze fish for 1 or 2 weeks max----PEOPLE IF YOUR NOT PLANNING TO EAT SOME FISH THEN DONT KILL SOME FISH---

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2015, 01:38 PM »
one of my pet peeves---people who kill fish only to freeze it---and say they will eat it later---or the famous one-i will give it away---i will only freeze fish for 1 or 2 weeks max----PEOPLE IF YOUR NOT PLANNING TO EAT SOME FISH THEN DONT KILL SOME FISH---
I'll eat it when I want to eat it...one day, one week or next year!  I only get so many days to fish, but eat everyday...sometimes I like to save it for a special occasion.  I didn't say I catch, freeze and throw away.  Btw, I gave some away yesterday...they thawed it and ate it, and LOVED it.  Sorry.
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Offline iceman1267

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2015, 06:18 PM »
I'll eat it when I want to eat it...one day, one week or next year!  I only get so many days to fish, but eat everyday...sometimes I like to save it for a special occasion.  I didn't say I catch, freeze and throw away.  Btw, I gave some away yesterday...they thawed it and ate it, and LOVED it.  Sorry.
x2

Offline Hsiftac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2015, 09:01 PM »
I freeze bluegill, crappie, bass, catfish in freezer bags usually without water and usually eat them within a year, never had any problems with freezer burn even with ones that are over a year

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2015, 06:55 AM »

If I catch 10 perch and a couple dozen gills and some pickerel, I ain't gonna eat it in one sitting. I freeze it in small packs so I can take it out WHEN I WANT. I don't really care what you think about it. Do it your way and I'll do it mine.

usually mine don't last more than a month but I've found a pack or 2 at the bottom that was there for who-knows-how long. Never had any go bad. I don't add water, just vac seal and freeze. I do make sure the meat is patted dry before I put it in the bag though so no ice crystals form in the bag or on the meat.

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2015, 01:50 PM »
Put water in the bag and freeze it into a block of ice. No freezer burn and  will keep for at least a year.
   X2 just be sure the fish is covered in water. Try to get all the air out.
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2015, 07:51 PM »

that works terrific.  my grandpa used to use 2l milk cartons, toss the fish in fill with water and freeze.  i've ate fish that was well over a year old and could not complain.

Offline Nodakjohns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 27, 2015, 12:17 PM »
I'm 52 and I remember my mom when I was a youngster always froze the extra catch in milk cartons filled with water. We didn't ice fish back then. But we did have good fish in the winter. She always scaled her panfish. I must of been into my teens before I learned how to fillet.

Offline stag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's what I do....
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2016, 06:05 PM »
wow...you really think a lot of yourself don't you ? How bout Ill eat MY fish when I want and you eat yours when you want ???
Duane

Offline Icicle1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 04, 2016, 06:48 PM »
Post above is true. If you freeze fish in water, there's no freezer burn. Water doesn't freezer burn.
Is it sometimes a fish being caught or you?

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2016, 03:21 PM »
I vacuum seal, and eat fish over a year old with no problem.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.