The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Tungsten weights?  (Read 2013 times)

Offline CranMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tungsten weights?
« on: Dec 08, 2015, 05:11 PM »
I am always looking to improve on my gear. I want to give myself the best possible bait presentation and best chance of landing what I hook. I use WHAT I FEEL as though is the best line, the best knots, the best swivel, the best leader material, the best weight, the best hook, and the best bait for the fishing at that moment. When it comes to weights I have tried many different types, kinds, materials. Although I hate to squeeze a split shot onto my fluorocarbon leader, I feel as though it gives me the best bait presentation. The ability to easily change the size of the weight and the location of the weight on my leader is the reason I've landed on split shots. This varies due to the size of the bait, liveliness of the bait, depth I am fishing, and species I am targeting so on. When the new lead laws came into play, I felt as though my gear came down a notch by having to fish with a bigger, shinier weight. I came across the painted green eagle claw tin shots, painted some of my own tin shots, but still wish I could get away with that little bit smaller size. I searched out tungsten line weights. Because of tungstens characteristics, a split shot that opens and closes like we're a custom to isn't possible due to its brittleness. I did come across these "Dr. Drop friction grip" in-line tungsten weights. Does anyone have experience with them? They kind of snap onto the line and are designed for line diameter of .005-.015". The 20lb Jinkai fluoro I use has a line diameter of .016". Anyways, I bought a couple boxes of every size. I snapped them on and off my line, strength tested them, and didn't really like the results. The smaller ones seem to pop off under high tension and the larger ones have a design that look like they will hang up easier in weeds or around structure without the ability of popping off like a split shot can when it gets caught up. Would love to know if anyone has any experience with these or any other tungsten weight that can be attached to leader. Thanks all.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Tungsten weights?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2015, 05:18 PM »
What about using tungsten beads and using a bobber stop to adjust the height?
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline CranMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2015, 05:22 PM »
Good thought. Now your putting two pieces on your line and a more visible bobber stop. Don't think it'd get me away from painted tin shot.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2015, 05:30 PM »
Good thought. Now your putting two pieces on your line and a more visible bobber stop. Don't think it'd get me away from painted tin shot.

If you make your own bobber stop you could make it so the bead fits snug over the bobber stop. Thus hiding the stop under the bead. To adjust the height u just pinch above or below the bead and slide the whole thing.

The issue doing it this way is if u want to add or remove weight.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline CranMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2015, 05:40 PM »
Food for thought, thanks!

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2015, 09:51 PM »
What are you fishing for?

Do you really care if they pop off under tension?

Offline CranMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2015, 10:45 AM »
I fish for everything from trout to pike. We'll see how they do.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2015, 10:59 AM »
I've used tungsten split shots for years on my fluoro leaders on tipups without problems.  I think I've lost one or two in total that popped off.  But I just clipped on new ones. And, I haven't noticed that they get hung up in weeds more than the shiner does.  I don't think the color of the split shot affects anything.  Shiny silver ones might actually attract bass/pike/picks to the bait with a bit of "flash" when the shiner swims, like a spinner blade on your leader would do.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline CranMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2015, 11:16 AM »
Who makes them?

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2015, 11:39 AM »
I use tin 18" down my 36" floro, and when I am pinching them down I worry about the floro so I don't put them on very hard. I could slide them down the line with my hand if needed. they don't come off, and I don't hurt the line. I use big enough hooks my bait stays down most the time any how  ;D

Offline Bad Heering

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2015, 11:42 AM »
Zappo Shots

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2015, 09:42 PM »
Hello Gents....  Just saw that ORVIS has camo colored "non-toxic" split shot in lots of sizes in two different size kits...  look pretty good ..... can't be Mickey Mouse if comin from ORVIS!!  Good luck... O.P.    :tipup:
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline CranMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2015, 08:24 AM »
Thanks bad herring. Zappu shots. Just what I was looking for!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2015, 10:53 AM »
Those zappu shots look great --- I don't remember who made mine that I switched to when MA went leadless.  But I've also had no problem with the shiny (or painted) tin shots.  They're fine, too.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Yachtzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2015, 02:09 PM »
I wasn't happy with the green eagle claw tin split shots either. The shiny tin shots aren't too bad, I usually have three on the leader so it looks like a mackerel tree! On my big bait trap, I put a long slender brass bullet weight above the swivel (before the leader) and two tin shots next to each other in the middle of the leader. It's enough to keep a big lively bait down and not tangling up the line, and also just enough to give him some wiggle room.

Offline sangell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2016, 06:29 PM »
I am probably overthinking this as I usually do. I like the split shots, easy on, easy off and I adjust quickly to bait size. I use a minimum of a 3' flouoro leader to a swivel, then the braid. Early in the season, black ice I'll actually take a black sharpie to the weight which is 8-12" from the hook to black it out. Later in the season with white ice I don't thinking the flash will help.

Now for the good part. I am not sure any of this at all has made a difference to be honest, but I do catch a bunch of fish and frankly it is fun to talk about on the ice..... It's like a secret squirrel shared something with me. Although I will say pre-dawn / first light glo in the dark beads and hooks did have some noticeable results last year.

Offline Yachtzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2016, 07:07 PM »
I am probably overthinking this as I usually do. I like the split shots, easy on, easy off and I adjust quickly to bait size. I use a minimum of a 3' flouoro leader to a swivel, then the braid. Early in the season, black ice I'll actually take a black sharpie to the weight which is 8-12" from the hook to black it out. Later in the season with white ice I don't thinking the flash will help.

Now for the good part. I am not sure any of this at all has made a difference to be honest, but I do catch a bunch of fish and frankly it is fun to talk about on the ice..... It's like a secret squirrel shared something with me. Although I will say pre-dawn / first light glo in the dark beads and hooks did have some noticeable results last year.

I'm going to try your glow tip sangell, thanks.  Wanted to bump the start time to 4:30 am this year. We're you chasing crappies? Or is that super secret squirrel info ;D I target bass, they're all fun though.

Offline sangell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2016, 07:29 PM »
Hey Chris,

I target Bass and Crappie equally. Love the fight on the bass and when the Crappie hit my grill ;-) It works well right after the golden hour into the night for Crappie if you know where they hold, or school too. I tracked down the manufacturer of glo in the dark paint for most of the lure folks and it works well on jigs.

The glo in the dark hooks off the shelf are too big for most crappie, a big octopus hook. White and Chartreuse were equal, and lethally sharp as hell. I got mine at Cabelas.

I get out early as you mentioned, usually on the ice NLT 5:00-5:15. It is amazing hearing all the owls, and wild life, fun drilling holes with a latern, all by oneself with no one b***hing at me. All hell breaks loose as soon as the sun comes over the trees. 3 flags is common at once, and I have 5 a couple of times. That'll get the blood going ;-)

Scott

Offline LCMelon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:41 PM »
I have never used a weight while ice fishing in 20 years. Am I the only one? Just curious....

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2016, 09:47 PM »
I have never used a weight while ice fishing in 20 years. Am I the only one? Just curious....

No, you are not.  But it depends on what I am fishing for.  For example, saturday for trout I won't use a weight.  I will use a long leader but will hook a shiner in the tail or patiently wait for a trout worm to sink.  Usually a swivel is all I need. 

Offline sangell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2016, 03:33 AM »
I do that too when I am working the water column in particular. The baits I hang close to the surface or mid way I'll take the weights off. I don't target trout much in the winter or I would probably do this more. One thing I am going to try this year is a treble with a spoon and weight on dead baits

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #21 on: Mar 15, 2016, 08:51 PM »
I am always looking to improve on my gear. I want to give myself the best possible bait presentation and best chance of landing what I hook. I use WHAT I FEEL as though is the best line, the best knots, the best swivel, the best leader material, the best weight, the best hook, and the best bait for the fishing at that moment. When it comes to weights I have tried many different types, kinds, materials. Although I hate to squeeze a split shot onto my fluorocarbon leader, I feel as though it gives me the best bait presentation. The ability to easily change the size of the weight and the location of the weight on my leader is the reason I've landed on split shots. This varies due to the size of the bait, liveliness of the bait, depth I am fishing, and species I am targeting so on. When the new lead laws came into play, I felt as though my gear came down a notch by having to fish with a bigger, shinier weight. I came across the painted green eagle claw tin shots, painted some of my own tin shots, but still wish I could get away with that little bit smaller size. I searched out tungsten line weights. Because of tungstens characteristics, a split shot that opens and closes like we're a custom to isn't possible due to its brittleness. I did come across these "Dr. Drop friction grip" in-line tungsten weights. Does anyone have experience with them? They kind of snap onto the line and are designed for line diameter of .005-.015". The 20lb Jinkai fluoro I use has a line diameter of .016". Anyways, I bought a couple boxes of every size. I snapped them on and off my line, strength tested them, and didn't really like the results. The smaller ones seem to pop off under high tension and the larger ones have a design that look like they will hang up easier in weeds or around structure without the ability of popping off like a split shot can when it gets caught up. Would love to know if anyone has any experience with these or any other tungsten weight that can be attached to leader. Thanks all.

I don't use split shots ice fishing. I would suggest that you go with a larger black swivel with a shorter leader.
That is what I do even when I ice fish for trout. It works great and gets the shiners down. They try to swim up but tire out fast and just sink.
I am actually currently using those tungsten weights as a barrel sinker for trout. A tungsten sinker the size of a large split shot with 4lb test gives me some really good distance. 
MA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.