Author Topic: Reel for a Fenwick Aetos 28" medium Action for Erie Eyes?  (Read 2612 times)

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
I am planning to fish this Winter on Erie for Walleyes. I have a lot of Ul rods and reels for perch fishing on Ice but this is my first time going for walleye. I just bought 2 Fenwick Aetos 28" Medium action and would like some help putting a reel on them. Would the small UL reels be to small for these Rods? What reel would you Guys put on these rods? Thanks.

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Reel for a Fenwick Aetos 28" medium Action for Erie Eyes?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2015, 07:39 PM »
No one can help me out???

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2015, 07:45 PM »
I'd throw a little bigger reel on it. Ya figure bigger line takes away capacity, bigger fish take more line. So bigger reel gives you more capacity and more power.
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline conesuscrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2015, 08:10 PM »
I fish a Fenwick AETOS rod and put a Shimano SEDONA 500 on it.  I am very happy with the combo for walleye and perch here on Oneida.

Offline Dubya

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2015, 08:14 PM »
I've got a bunch of different reels on my walleye setups (kind of a gear whore).  Pflueger president 9520's, patriarch 9525, shimano symetre 750, and stradic ci4 1000.  All of them have treated me well, but my favourite would be a toss up between the patriarch and the ci4.  Although they're both a touch of overkill for most walleye I've caught through the ice.  My aetos wears my patriarch most of the time.

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2015, 04:10 AM »
Thank you.Appreciated all your input. Off to Gander today to check out some of these reels.

Offline liwalleye79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2016, 02:39 PM »
I have the same rod with a pflueger president micro on it.  love it!  Worked just fine for those erie eyes last year.  I don't like the added weight of the bigger reel.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.