Author Topic: Polarbird??  (Read 19139 times)

Offline Iceman1714

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Polarbird??
« Reply #30 on: Dec 10, 2015, 09:36 PM »
Hey Guys, just picked up may Polar Bird 4T. Im very pleased with it its very well made and easy to set up including the floor, which is awesome! No more slipping around when you have been parked all day waiting for the eye to bite. I did a review with the Eskimo VS Polar Bird  :o. I have has eskimo for a few years now and Im happy to say I've stepped up a notch when it comes to quality and fish ability, no more cold feet!!! Fish on!!!
Thank you Polar Bird ;D

&feature=youtu.be

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #31 on: Dec 10, 2015, 09:42 PM »
I glanced at them at the show in St Paul but didn't really pay much attention to them.  I did watch the videos on the Polar Bird and noticed that the windows seem really high up on the sides of the shack.  Like you would have to get up off your chair to check outside or look at a tip up.  Maybe it was just the way the video was shot but that looked like bad design to me. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Iceman1714

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 10, 2015, 10:12 PM »
I glanced at them at the show in St Paul but didn't really pay much attention to them.  I did watch the videos on the Polar Bird and noticed that the windows seem really high up on the sides of the shack.  Like you would have to get up off your chair to check outside or look at a tip up.  Maybe it was just the way the video was shot but that looked like bad design to me.

Coming from non-tip up fisherman. I suggest position the door of the house facing your tip up, unzip and take a peek or don't be so lazy stand up and take a look out the window.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 11, 2015, 01:53 AM »
Coming from non-tip up fisherman. I suggest position the door of the house facing your tip up, unzip and take a peek or don't be so lazy stand up and take a look out the window.

Well now, thats not very nice.. :nono:

I agree that the windows do seem to be rather high and much smaller then I'd prefer as I also use tip-ups.  But I do like the idea of it being brighter inside and the floor would be nice at times.  The "unbreakable" poles are great as is the small opening for the propane hose.  It does have it's selling points for sure.

Question is, How does the floor hold up to ice cleats ?   

I also notice that this is only your third post and all three have been about PolarBird ice shanties.   
Are you affiliated with them in any way ?

Offline Iceman1714

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 11, 2015, 07:40 AM »
Well now, thats not very nice.. :nono:

I agree that the windows do seem to be rather high and much smaller then I'd prefer as I also use tip-ups.  But I do like the idea of it being brighter inside and the floor would be nice at times.  The "unbreakable" poles are great as is the small opening for the propane hose.  It does have it's selling points for sure.

Question is, How does the floor hold up to ice cleats ?   

I also notice that this is only your third post and all three have been about PolarBird ice shanties.   
Are you affiliated with them in any way ?

If your a straight up tip up fisherman this house maybe isn't for you. I fish walleye and crappie mainly, and northern but id rather fight the fish on a pole then hand over hand. So the window is a non factor for me. I had a rough day yesterday so I apologize if i offended anyone I am new to being on forums. I fish a lot. as far as your cleats go I wouldn`t use on the floor but you can also fold the floor in half, sitting on the floor half and resting your feet on the ice half, if you want to leave your cleats on. I am not affiliated with them, I am excited about my new house, I've noticed people have a way of being negative about things on here. I i thought i`d join the crowd. lol. I like my eskimo fatfish 949i as well i just like this a little more. Its new and different. In with the old and out with the new ya know..

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 11, 2015, 08:05 AM »
It’s kind of comical when a new product comes out and you see the same guy making rave reviews about it everywhere.  To anyone who has spent a fair amount of time on fishing social media, it’s blatantly obvious what is going on, and then even funnier when you see the same 2nd party giving the same replies on multiple sites and groups.    :)      I’m in no way saying the PB is a bad product, but c’mon these are old tricks.  LOL    Maybe, it’s just a coincidence that the owner of  PolarBird is Russian? 

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 11, 2015, 08:19 AM »
Not to sound "lazy" but how would a guy drill his holes if using the floor? I mean how do you line up all the holes with the ones in the floor?  They look too close to the wall to hand auger and a power auger would put water and ice chips on top of the floor. Hand auger might be messy too. I guess a guy could set up and somehow mark the ice where the holes in the floor are, pull the floor and/or shack away and drill, then move the shack back and line everything back up.

Seems like a hassle.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 11, 2015, 08:35 AM »
Not to sound "lazy" but how would a guy drill his holes if using the floor? I mean how do you line up all the holes with the ones in the floor?  They look too close to the wall to hand auger and a power auger would put water and ice chips on top of the floor. Hand auger might be messy too. I guess a guy could set up and somehow mark the ice where the holes in the floor are, pull the floor and/or shack away and drill, then move the shack back and line everything back up.

Seems like a hassle.

You don't sound lazy, you just sound like you've never had a shanty with a floor.. My 5600 clam has six locations to drill, never drilled them from the inside.. Drill three, slide, drill three more, slide back...

<°)))>{

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Dec 11, 2015, 08:44 AM »
You don't sound lazy, you just sound like you've never had a shanty with a floor.. My 5600 clam has six locations to drill, never drilled them from the inside.. Drill three, slide, drill three more, slide back...

<°)))>{

The Clam has round openings? I have a suitcase style shack too, with large rectangular openings. The polarbird has round... Maybe my question should have been "how large in diameter are the cut holes in the floor?" Just seems like it would be tough to hit all of them just right if you were drilling more than a couple holes.

I think it's a good idea, floor makes a big difference in my suitcase style Frabill. Just wondering about setup.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #39 on: Dec 11, 2015, 09:06 AM »
it's good to have new ideas and new manufacturers and good they are here reading how we perceive their take on things. look at marcum digital for example.

just like cars or trucks, there is the "right one" for you.  same goes for all the options we have as consumers like palm rods or spinning rods, short or long rods and lines ect.

i see this not being "right for me", because of the lack of usable windows to be aware of my environment unless i get up and open a door and loose my heat just to see what's going on. they need to revamp that idea. maybe in Russia where they fish in a place no one else is around and it's too cold to bother with tips up, then okay, i get it. that's not what happens here where it is heavily populated and so many people walk by your shack and your things are outside in a sled and you want to ensure your belongings are okay or if a tipup is tripped and the man is coming out to ticket you for not manning the tipup.

-only fix - put windows in where we can use them like all the other hubs have.

i agree the floor cost should be an add-on cost if you want one.  to drill perfect holes like that in just the right places would mean you have to use that floor as a template start a hole, remove the template, finish the hole and go on to the next hole. the biggest problem with that floor is the lack of holes in the shape i and many others use them. in the shallow triangle design. one for the transducer and two for jigging. one large won't work i don't want the transducer in the same hole or another jig in the same hole. so hole placement is a big problem.  being it's design is a separate add-on floor and knowing how ice forms after the sun sets, replacing the floor is a real possibility too, so again the floor should have it's own costs.

-only fix - it is not use it and not pay for it either.

so now what is any different about it than others?
the brightness of the inside for sight fishermen or spearing w/o the floor. when your eyes acclimate for low light like shelters that "black out" light, you can sight fish, not the other way around like some one claimed.

-only fix - wait for night time to go fishing.

i only want to say these things that are not right for me so they can make other version and options. just like eskimo evo it's not for me either.

the good things i see are, and there are more positive things than things i don't care for, but the things i don't care for are not bad things for some;
+ the strong fabric.
+ insulated fabric.
+ bright interior. (i don't spear or sight fish and welcome light.)
+ what appears to be a stronger hub bow angle to hold up against strong winds.
+ a means to add an extension cord or other uses for the ground vent.
+ a ground vent makes sense because co2 is heavier than air.
+ reasonable pricing even with the floor.
+ reinforced outside corner apron hold down straps and no grommets to rot out or rip out.
+ being here to introduce their brand.

thanks for doing it!
looks like a great product, just it's not ready for me, yet.
looking forward to seeing your flip overs for sure!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 11, 2015, 12:11 PM »
it's good to have new ideas and new manufacturers and good they are here reading how we perceive their take on things. look at marcum digital for example.

just like cars or trucks, there is the "right one" for you.  same goes for all the options we have as consumers like palm rods or spinning rods, short or long rods and lines ect.

i see this not being "right for me", because of the lack of usable windows to be aware of my environment unless i get up and open a door and loose my heat just to see what's going on. they need to revamp that idea. maybe in Russia where they fish in a place no one else is around and it's too cold to bother with tips up, then okay, i get it. that's not what happens here where it is heavily populated and so many people walk by your shack and your things are outside in a sled and you want to ensure your belongings are okay or if a tipup is tripped and the man is coming out to ticket you for not manning the tipup.

-only fix - put windows in where we can use them like all the other hubs have.

i agree the floor cost should be an add-on cost if you want one.  to drill perfect holes like that in just the right places would mean you have to use that floor as a template start a hole, remove the template, finish the hole and go on to the next hole. the biggest problem with that floor is the lack of holes in the shape i and many others use them. in the shallow triangle design. one for the transducer and two for jigging. one large won't work i don't want the transducer in the same hole or another jig in the same hole. so hole placement is a big problem.  being it's design is a separate add-on floor and knowing how ice forms after the sun sets, replacing the floor is a real possibility too, so again the floor should have it's own costs.

-only fix - it is not use it and not pay for it either.

so now what is any different about it than others?
the brightness of the inside for sight fishermen or spearing w/o the floor. when your eyes acclimate for low light like shelters that "black out" light, you can sight fish, not the other way around like some one claimed.

-only fix - wait for night time to go fishing.

i only want to say these things that are not right for me so they can make other version and options. just like eskimo evo it's not for me either.

the good things i see are, and there are more positive things than things i don't care for, but the things i don't care for are not bad things for some;
+ the strong fabric.
+ insulated fabric.
+ bright interior. (i don't spear or sight fish and welcome light.)
+ what appears to be a stronger hub bow angle to hold up against strong winds.
+ a means to add an extension cord or other uses for the ground vent.
+ a ground vent makes sense because co2 is heavier than air.
+ reasonable pricing even with the floor.
+ reinforced outside corner apron hold down straps and no grommets to rot out or rip out.
+ being here to introduce their brand.

thanks for doing it!
looks like a great product, just it's not ready for me, yet.
looking forward to seeing your flip overs for sure!

Great post, good logic, I feel about the same....

I like some competition between brands, foreign or not, it makes everyone step up and raise the bar some, price, quality, strength, customer service, helps everyone IMO...

<°)))>{

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 11, 2015, 12:16 PM »
Tip up fishing is predominantly a US method of fishing. The whole idea of a hub as being a base camp where you warm up while you watch your flags is something I have only ever heard about from people in the US. I have not really heard of tipups being used with any frequency in Europe, and here in Canada they are used, but not nearly to the same extent as what a lot of you are used to.
It probably has to do with amount of lines allowed. I know here in Ontario we are only allowed two lines, so at most the majority of guys will setup a single tipup and quite often will just have a deadstick rod setup within arms reach of their jigging hole instead. I suspect that the designers of this hub were more aiming at this type of person who is actively fishing in their hut and not using it as a warming station while manning tip ups. I know that the Rapala huts they sell here in Canada but not in the US are much the same in that their windows are all either placed up high (heck, some even have skylight windows!) or are so small that they are useless for looking out and only server the purpose of letting in light.  For these relatively stationary people, ice cleats also don't really matter as you are in the hut the whole time you are fishing, so you can just take them off when you get setup.
Agree it is not a setup for everyone, but just because it doesn't fit one style of fishing, doesn't make it a bad design, as there are a lot of other styles of fishing out there.

To drill the holes to match the floor layout, I would assume you would first lay the floor down (but not secure it) and mark where the hole would be. Flip the floor out of the way, drill the hole, clear the shavings, then drop and secure the floor. Repeat for the other holes. I am sure that after a while you would get a sense of where the holes go in relation to the setup tent and you could drill them accurately before even breaking the floor out.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 11, 2015, 01:12 PM »
It looks like you cut your own holes in the floor.. You could cut square ones if needed...

<°)))>{

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 11, 2015, 01:56 PM »
Take your creepers off everytime you enter the house? Not a good idea. I'd rather keep my creeps on. What happens if you have a flag outside and it's heeled over... "Please wait Mr. fish while I put my creepers back on. Nope.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Dec 11, 2015, 02:43 PM »

Seems like a hassle.

Thank you for your great question. We recommend to install the floor first. Then mark the holes with your auger 1/2 inch or so.  slide your house off of your marked holes. Next drill holes clear surface with your shovel, slide house back in place to line up your holes. You can also mark your holes if you don't want to move your house, fold half of the floor over, drill holes clean out and fold the floor back over. Also you can make your own holes in the floor too,and put the holes where ever you would like. We have an instructional video on our website www.polarbird.com how to make additional holes.

POLAR BIRD TEAM
The Polar Bird Team

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Dec 11, 2015, 02:51 PM »
The Clam has round openings? I have a suitcase style shack too, with large rectangular openings. The polarbird has round... Maybe my question should have been "how large in diameter are the cut holes in the floor?" Just seems like it would be tough to hit all of them just right if you were drilling more than a couple holes.

I think it's a good idea, floor makes a big difference in my suitcase style Frabill. Just wondering about setup.

Thanks for the question. The precut holes are standard 10inch round hole, since most augers are 8 inch. We have a video how to cut you own holes at www.polarbird.com. The instructions should give you enough information to cut whatever shape hole you like round or square.
Thanks again

POLAR BIRD TEAM
The Polar Bird Team

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 11, 2015, 11:08 PM »
Polar Bird on Ice Fishing Trade Show in Duluth, MN

POLAR BIRD TEAM
The Polar Bird Team

Offline Dimakz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Dec 12, 2015, 05:50 AM »
Kasakhstan? Ha, that is awesome.
What kind of fish were you catching in the second photo?
Welcome fishermen. I am glad that you are interested in my post. This is whitefish. Caught usually at night. The best time catching the fish in bad weather, heavy frost, wind. Therefore, we are very attentive to the choice of the tent.
Finally, I got the tent Polar Bird from my friend. I will upload photos soon. The quality of the Polar Bird is not worse than mine, maybe even better.

Offline Dimakz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 12, 2015, 05:51 AM »

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #49 on: Dec 15, 2015, 09:27 PM »
The Polar Bird review is posted.
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Dec 18, 2015, 11:43 AM »
Maybe, it’s just a coincidence that the owner of  PolarBird is Russian?

It is no secret that we are suppliers of ice fishing gear in Siberia and Eastern Europe. We have been doing so for several years with thousands of customers. We are now trying to bring our products to North America. We are truly trying to supply premium quality products to ice fishermen and be competitive in the market.

We have no one in our company going on this forum besides myself. If someone is happy with our products and posts about it I can only assume it's a past customer or someone inquiring about our products.

To prove our dedication we just offered FREE shipping on all our products.

Thank You,

Polar Bird
The Polar Bird Team

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #51 on: Dec 18, 2015, 03:41 PM »
So are the doors on the opposite corners of the shack or on opposite sides on one side?

Cuz it has made no sense to me to have doors on opposite corners.  That's still only one usable door, unless I want to trip over gears and holes.  If only someone makes two doors so two people can exit left and right without asking another to move out of the way.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Iceman1714

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Dec 19, 2015, 02:36 PM »
Not so much concerned about the light as I don't spear fish, nor sight fish so that wouldn't be a problem..  What I do have concerns about are the small windows.  Guess it would help with heat loss, but also make it harder to watch the tip-ups.    As for the floor, nice idea, But I wear spikes while on the ice.  I don't see the floor holding up well to any type of anti-slip devices and being that I do set out tip-up's I'm not going to take them off / on constantly.    Now the chair on the other hand would be nice to have, Just more $$ then I'm willing to pay.

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Dec 20, 2015, 11:04 AM »
So are the doors on the opposite corners of the shack or on opposite sides on one side?

Cuz it has made no sense to me to have doors on opposite corners.  That's still only one usable door, unless I want to trip over gears and holes.  If only someone makes two doors so two people can exit left and right without asking another to move out of the way.

The doors are in opposite corners.
This is the first time we have heard a complaint about the doors location. We appreciate all feedback as we are striving to make the best possible shelters on the market.

We are going to post a thread shortly asking for everyone's feedback on the shelters and what they would like to see.

Thank you,
Polar Bird
The Polar Bird Team

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #54 on: Dec 20, 2015, 12:01 PM »
The doors are in opposite corners.
This is the first time we have heard a complaint about the doors location. We appreciate all feedback as we are striving to make the best possible shelters on the market.

We are going to post a thread shortly asking for everyone's feedback on the shelters and what they would like to see.

Thank you,
Polar Bird
Thank you.  Its not a complaint.  Its just something that has never made sense.  You have two or three people set up sitting side by side.  Two doors on the shelter, but only one easily accessed door only.  It would be wonderful to have both doors available for easy access on either side of people.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Dec 21, 2015, 10:23 PM »

I posted a thread in the sponsors forum asking for any changes you might like.

Thank you,
The Polar Bird Team
The Polar Bird Team

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Dec 23, 2015, 09:41 PM »

We just posted another thread in the sponsors forum.

The Polar Bird Team
The Polar Bird Team

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #57 on: Dec 25, 2015, 08:41 AM »
We just posted another thread in the sponsors forum.

The Polar Bird Team

That's a very nice offer, thank you, and Merry Christmas !!
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Dec 26, 2015, 10:23 PM »

This offer benefits us as well as you. You get the shelter and we get the feedback on the shelters so we can make them better for you.

Thanks,
The Polar Bird Team
The Polar Bird Team

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Dec 28, 2015, 12:23 PM »

Keep an eye on the PB  Sponsor Shanty. I will be posting a special offer to Iceshanty members in the next day or so.

Thanks for your support,
The Polar Bird Team
The Polar Bird Team

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.