Author Topic: Polarbird??  (Read 19140 times)

Offline todalake

• Team IceShanty Regular
Polarbird??
« on: Dec 05, 2015, 08:00 AM »
Anybody have one of these with insulated floor.

http://polarbird.com/
Clam Base Camp Thermal
Clam Legend Thermal
Nils 6" Lazer 5" & 7"
Ridgid 1300#
Clam Plate/extension

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Polarbird??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2015, 08:39 AM »
I watched the videos, interesting take on the hub design....

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2015, 08:59 AM »
hm interesting. i bought an insulted eskimo hub last year. happy with it. if i had seen these i may have given them a shot
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2015, 09:54 AM »
i just went to the web site and looking at them i noticed that they have a white inside, i am very concerned that they will be too bright inside the huts. anyone else think that would be a problem ?
I am haunted by waters...

Offline fishinagain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2015, 10:18 AM »
I don't think you would be doing much sight fishing or spearing in there that's for sure. In the videos you can read the polarbird logo on the outside from the inside of the shelter. The floor is very interesting, I may order one of the chairs. On a side note, the model in the video is hilarious with his white shoes, looks like something out of the 80's ;D
Pure Michigan

TEAM MITTEN

Offline Gatermouth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2015, 04:42 PM »
Saw them at the st. Paul ice show today. I didn't like the fabrics the used, the shelter seemed to be pretty thin and light infiltration would definitely be a problem. The insulated floor seemed like a joke to me, you better have a pliers ready because you will be removing hooks from it often. Not to mention having to thaw and dry it after every trip. If I was in the market for a hub I don't think these would make it on my short list.

Offline PolarBird

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2015, 06:37 PM »
i just went to the web site and looking at them i noticed that they have a white inside, i am very concerned that they will be too bright inside the huts. anyone else think that would be a problem ?

Thank you for great question. We make our tents bright inside for better visibility/// If you worry about darkness under the tent our insulated floors work very well and you can see through the hole.

Please let us know if you have any other questions

POLAR BIRD TEAM
The Polar Bird Team

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2015, 07:38 PM »
Not so much concerned about the light as I don't spear fish, nor sight fish so that wouldn't be a problem..  What I do have concerns about are the small windows.  Guess it would help with heat loss, but also make it harder to watch the tip-ups.    As for the floor, nice idea, But I wear spikes while on the ice.  I don't see the floor holding up well to any type of anti-slip devices and being that I do set out tip-up's I'm not going to take them off / on constantly.    Now the chair on the other hand would be nice to have, Just more $$ then I'm willing to pay.

Offline splakeshaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Someday...She'll understand.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2015, 07:56 PM »
I like products that 1. Make fishing more enjoyable. And 2. Produce more and or bigger fish. To me this concept seems like a waste of money and time.  Not my style anyway. I don't see any benefit or value on a hub floor. Or any portable shelter floor. Cold feet? Get better boots. Slick ice or standing water issues? Keep your heat source above the ice. I don't get it.
If it wasn't for trout fishin', my wife would have a husband.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2015, 08:31 AM »

I'm currently working on a review of the Polar Bird 3 man hub shelter .. with the floor.

I should have the first part of a two part review posted by the end of this coming week.

The second part will come after it's actually been used out on the ice several times.   :icefish:

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2015, 10:43 AM »
I like products that 1. Make fishing more enjoyable. And 2. Produce more and or bigger fish. To me this concept seems like a waste of money and time.  Not my style anyway. I don't see any benefit or value on a hub floor. Or any portable shelter floor. Cold feet? Get better boots. Slick ice or standing water issues? Keep your heat source above the ice. I don't get it.

I guess that's why they made the flooring an option and not a standard part of the tent. I can understand the floor isn't for everyone, but I can see the benefit of it. I think it'd be great for those that take their kids or wives along. The more comfortable you are out in the elements, the more enjoyable it is.
Ken                                          

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2015, 10:50 AM »
Yeah, it's nice having it as an option and I wonder why other companies don't offer that.  It'd be great to use my hub shanty as a tent for camping once the weather cools off in the fall.  I could run my buddy heater in there all night and not have to worry about the condensation raining on me.  I may still try just laying a big tarp underneath though

I guess that's why they made the flooring an option and not a standard part of the tent. I can understand the floor isn't for everyone, but I can see the benefit of it. I think it'd be great for those that take their kids or wives along. The more comfortable you are out in the elements, the more enjoyable it is.

Offline beeverfishingscatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • HARDWATER CHICK :)
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2015, 09:45 AM »
As a wife and someone that does take her 12 yr old daughter along (when we have ice :() the floor would be more of a pain...I agree with
I don't see any benefit or value on a hub floor. Or any portable shelter floor. Cold feet? Get better boots. Slick ice or standing water issues? Keep your heat source above the ice. I don't get it.
....my husband
As for the floor, nice idea, But I wear spikes while on the ice.  I don't see the floor holding up well to any type of anti-slip devices and being that I do set out tip-up's I'm not going to take them off / on constantly.    Now the chair on the other hand would be nice to have, Just more $$ then I'm willing to pay.
.....guess what I am sayin is just because some of us are females don't mean we have to have the Taj Mahal with butlers waiting on us. Yes we want to stay warm but tell me how many of you guys want the same thing...warm, dry catching fish?? if the ice is melting too much turn down the heat or put it up where its not directly on the ice...I know Im only a female and all but hmmmm don't think its too hard to figure that part out.
one old fisherman's catch of a lifetime ;) 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>   HERE FISHY FISHY FISHY

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2015, 10:35 AM »
Again, it is an option, not something they are forcing you to buy if you want their tent. There is always at least one active topic of people either asking for ideas on how to put a floor in their popup/flip over, or people posting pictures of the floors that they have made to show that there is obviously a market for this sort of thing, so good on the sponsor for making something for these people. One of the main features I bought my bayrunner for was the fact that it kept me up and off the ice, and I know my family would be a lot happier if our pop up had a floor to it.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2015, 05:41 PM »
I think if people saw this item in stores it might change their opinion about it.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2015, 10:54 AM »
Again, it is an option, not something they are forcing you to buy if you want their tent. There is always at least one active topic of people either asking for ideas on how to put a floor in their popup/flip over, or people posting pictures of the floors that they have made to show that there is obviously a market for this sort of thing, so good on the sponsor for making something for these people. One of the main features I bought my bayrunner for was the fact that it kept me up and off the ice, and I know my family would be a lot happier if our pop up had a floor to it.
I agree, while it doesn't fit my style of fishing, there is definately a market for this as there are quite a few people out therewho make their own floors.

Offline Dimakz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2015, 07:13 AM »
Im from North Kazakhstan. My friend visited Ice Fishing Trade show in St.Paul last weekend. He sent me a picture of Polar Bird Ice shelter, I couldn't believe my eyes. The Polar Bird tent was almost the same as Russian brand "Snegir" new series "T". Snegir start selling new "T" series this season with water-proof floor with velcro fastening system. "Snegir" is the most well known Russian company making ice fishing shelters. They have great quality and customer service. Im a big fan of Snegir, but I ask my friend to buy Polar Bird Shelter to compare. He is going to bring me soon and I will post a review.

Offline vladi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2015, 09:22 PM »
Today went first time, cut one northen. Floor is really good, not slippery at all!!

Offline vladi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2015, 09:31 PM »

Offline winston6wt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2015, 09:49 PM »
I've spent the night in my hub fishing ling and thought that it would be nice to have a floor. I don't do it often enough to justify the extra cost, but It would be a little easyer to keep gear dry. Also, the more insulation you have the less propane you use. Most of the time I'm moving too much to screw with my hub anyway.

Offline vladi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2015, 07:38 AM »
So, I think guys sale the tent tru web site - polarbird.com

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2015, 03:34 PM »
Thank you for great question. We make our tents bright inside for better visibility/// If you worry about darkness under the tent our insulated floors work very well and you can see through the hole.

Please let us know if you have any other questions

POLAR BIRD TEAM

Great looking product. I think the bright interior would offset the eye strain from staring at my Vex for hours. As it is I open all the window flaps on my current shelter. Good idea Polar Bird!  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline spud bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2015, 04:11 PM »
Im from North Kazakhstan. My friend visited Ice Fishing Trade show in St.Paul last weekend. He sent me a picture of Polar Bird Ice shelter, I couldn't believe my eyes. The Polar Bird tent was almost the same as Russian brand "Snegir" new series "T". Snegir start selling new "T" series this season with water-proof floor with velcro fastening system. "Snegir" is the most well known Russian company making ice fishing shelters. They have great quality and customer service. Im a big fan of Snegir, but I ask my friend to buy Polar Bird Shelter to compare. He is going to bring me soon and I will post a review.

Kasakhstan? Ha, that is awesome.
What kind of fish were you catching in the second photo?

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2015, 04:42 PM »
to me they look like Gizzard Shad  ::)
Bud

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2015, 05:06 PM »
to me they look like Gizzard Shad  ::)

I think you're right. That guy has some good ice.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Dec 10, 2015, 05:45 PM »
I've spent the night in my hub fishing ling and thought that it would be nice to have a floor. I don't do it often enough to justify the extra cost, but It would be a little easyer to keep gear dry. Also, the more insulation you have the less propane you use. Most of the time I'm moving too much to screw with my hub anyway.

Interlocking foam garage mats.  Cost me 12 bucks or so, they work just fine. 

Offline vladi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 10, 2015, 06:01 PM »
Interlocking foam garage mats.  Cost me 12 bucks or so, they work just fine.
Good idea, but not attached to the tent... In this case floor and tent one solid unit.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 10, 2015, 06:15 PM »
Nasty smelling things they are too.  :sick: Good Cat bait though.
Bud

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Dec 10, 2015, 06:23 PM »
Good idea, but not attached to the tent... In this case floor and tent one solid unit.

Ya I dont ever want a floor attached to my tent, no need.  If I want a floor I will buy a trailerable hardside.  No smell with the mats I am using, not sure what brand they are.

Offline vladi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 10, 2015, 06:46 PM »
Ya I dont ever want a floor attached to my tent, no need.  If I want a floor I will buy a trailerable hardside.  No smell with the mats I am using, not sure what brand they are.
Good reason have one unit, you can move the tent let’s say 20-30 feet with all stuff inside.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.