Author Topic: Box Butte  (Read 11796 times)

Offline Fred Z

• IceShanty Rookie
Box Butte
« on: Dec 01, 2015, 06:20 PM »
Checked it today completely covered thin on some of the sides . It won't be long !
I fish with a bunch of Ice Holes !

Offline donnie t

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Box Butte
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2015, 09:33 AM »
Any fishable ice?

Offline HuskerIce24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2015, 08:23 PM »
Haha.  Unless your on a shallow pond in the Sandhills, there won't be any ice fishing in Nebraska for weeks unless something drastic happens. 

Offline Fred Z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2015, 09:28 PM »
They were fishing it today 2 to 4 inches of ice .
I fish with a bunch of Ice Holes !

Offline IceWolf89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2015, 07:29 AM »
Hey Fred z do you know at what part they were fishing I plan on going somewhere tomorrow even to atleastd Check the ice please let me know thank you.

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2015, 08:27 AM »
What is going on at Box Butte and what are the ice conditions as of lately? Thanks.

Offline funtwohunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2015, 09:49 PM »
I was up there sunday morning and there was a lot of open spots on the east half of the lake. Open water around edges for 50 to 100 feet. or so. If it gets cold again maybe the ice will be make a lot quicker now.

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2015, 10:48 PM »
Thanks for the report.   ;)  Happy Trails !   :)

Offline BakersAcres

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2015, 01:21 PM »
I am hoping on Box Butte after the new year. I thought the forecast at Chadron looked decent. 

Offline Fishin nebraska

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2015, 06:52 PM »
Hope it won't be much longer
I think this is like fisherman s purgatory

Offline IceWolf89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2015, 07:07 PM »
I was up at box butte yesterday 7" at hunters point but man was it slow fishing 7 pike all day!! The edges was really soft to when getting off at around 3

Offline funtwohunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2015, 10:04 PM »
I was up to Box Butte yesterday too. Caught two pike that were right at 36 inches (biggest I've caught from BB) and a couple smaller ones. Caught 5 real nice 12" perch and a couple smaller ones.  It was fairly slow and I didn't think I was going to catch much at all so I put them all back as I caught them. Funny thing was I was using 2" or smaller minnows and caught the pike at the same time on different tipups about 10 feet apart. When I was pulling the first one the flag was up on the second and my line was headed towards the second tipup. I figured the first pike crossed the other line but when I had it on the ice the other tipup was still spinning. Kind of neat experience. Should be good ice now for a while.

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2015, 03:16 PM »
Anyone going up on Thursday?

funtwohunt: Where did you get the minnows?

Offline funtwohunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2015, 10:28 PM »
I'm probably going to go up Thursday after it warmsa bit. I have a shelter but I rather just be outside in the elements. I got my minnows in Rapid City. Normally I just seine them. Weber in Alliance should have minnows. He is south across the street from Grandview school oneast part of town.

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2015, 08:03 PM »
^^Thanks^^

Went up today. Bite was slow. Caught 6 perch and to decent pike. But it was After fishing it got interesting.
 As I walk up off the ice I see my truck in a few inches of water! It didn't look or feel like ice when I parked and I was up the road a ways. Luckily I got out no problem. Not everyone did. Guy was trying to back his trailer up and it was stuck in the snow. So he unhooked the trailer and tried to come down trough the trees..mind you..this is still a ways up. Well he got stuck..bad. I tried to pull him but couldn't. There were two young men who got him out by BOTH pulling at the same time with 2 straps. Took all those trucks had but got him out.
There were a lot of people helping out.

If you go up to hunters point, park WAY up. Just inside the second gate is as far down as I will go.

Offline dlbaily

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2015, 09:40 PM »
Eepks thanks a lot for the help. I'm the guy that was stuck. When we first got there we pulled a guy out by the dam so I guess karma works. Glad to see those kids took the time to help a old dumb ass out. Just shows what good people ice fisherman usually are. Those kids where raised right. I haven't been that stuck in probably 30 years. Hope to see u on the ice again. Again THANKS

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 24, 2015, 09:58 PM »
Eepks thanks a lot for the help. I'm the guy that was stuck. When we first got there we pulled a guy out by the dam so I guess karma works. Glad to see those kids took the time to help a old dumb ass out. Just shows what good people ice fisherman usually are. Those kids where raised right. I haven't been that stuck in probably 30 years. Hope to see u on the ice again. Again THANKS

Glad I was there to help! Tight lines

Offline funtwohunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 24, 2015, 10:27 PM »
I was up there too. Heard the noise from both people and vehicles. Sounded like it was a challenge to get out. Glad all ended well. Caught a few smaller perch and a couple decent gills, and a few smaller pike. Saw a lot of fish in the marcum just wouldn't bite. Had a couple nicer ones on but they let go at the hole. I guess that's why it's call fishing and not catching.
Probably be up the next few days. Or might give Smith a try Saturday.

Offline pkandrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2015, 10:21 AM »
Does that lady still sell minnows out of her garage in alliance?  If not where can i get some?

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 25, 2015, 12:23 PM »
stuck it so bad it went social media on ya Bailey! My kid still talking about it, HAHA! Said he didn't know trucks could swim!

Offline JD140

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 25, 2015, 05:23 PM »
Was there for 3 hrs today, minnows and waxies. 1 perch, 2 pike. Only ones on the lake.

Offline dlbaily

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 25, 2015, 07:01 PM »
You can get minnows about 2 miles west of Walmart on highway 26. South side of the highway. Call Henry at 308-631-5844. Has wax worms also.

Offline funtwohunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 25, 2015, 09:35 PM »
Call Jake Weber in Alliance. He's located on about 5th and Grand AV. in alliance ne South across the street from Grand View School. Sometimes he's hard to catch. Sorry I don't have his number. The couple that had the bait a couple of years ago no longer sell them. Some one told me there is another person that sell minnows too but I can't remember who it was.

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 25, 2015, 09:45 PM »
Does that lady still sell minnows out of her garage in alliance?  If not where can i get some?

Not sure about her but in Scottsbluff you can call 308-631-5844 for them.

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 26, 2015, 06:35 PM »
anyone out there know how the roads are up around Hemingford?

Offline funtwohunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 26, 2015, 07:14 PM »
I was up there around 4 pm and you can get in most all places. There was a couple of guys at hunters point. Didn't go see how they did. Will be up there tomorrow after it warms a bit. -11 tonight with wind chills of -25 to -30 might make things a bit nippy to say the least.

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 26, 2015, 09:29 PM »
we are gonna head up first thing, hopefully bite is better than it was on Thursday!

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 29, 2015, 05:47 PM »
we are gonna head up first thing, hopefully bite is better than it was on Thursday!

How did you do? I plan on going up tomorrow.

Offline fisherofman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 30, 2015, 10:11 PM »
Lois like temperatures will be helping build some solid ice which is good news.  Any pointers out there on fishing depths for bluegills or panfish?  Shallower this time of year or out a bit deeper in 15+ fow?  We found some this summer in about 10 ft in the vegetation, but I would imagine it's a different story this time of year.  Would appreciate hearing what y'all think.

Offline fisherofman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 31, 2015, 10:22 PM »
Ended up fishing today with a few perch here and there.  Nice size 10-12" but not very consistent my way with best depth about 12'.  Tried deeper and shallower with no luck.  Only a few pike too.  Had plenty of lines in the water but to no avail.  Perhaps others had better luck/skill   :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.